Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 3/25/2016 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I received a sample of this which lasted for a couple days with nightly use. I did not particularly like it and will not repurchase. The smell is waaayy too strong and not in a good way. The packaging (I received it in a foil but I know it comes in a jar) is less than ideal. And the price is not right. The ingredients are so-so.

on 6/3/2015 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have got a sensitive skin and according to the sales lady this cream was suitable for the sensitive skin.
I'm glad that I asked for a sample because it doesn't work at all for my skin.
The smell is lovely, the texture is nice, it sinks nice into my skin.
But after two days using the product my skin started itching like crazy and I developed big red spots. Really great if you have to be representative for your job.
So no hope in a jar for me.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought an entire collection in this brand hoping that between the price and hype I would LOVE it. I hated it...left my skin feeling gross....old lady smell....didn't do what it claimed.

on 1/26/2015 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I did a review on this a long time ago and I just could not get over the smell. Well, jar still full, I went on a mission to make this work for me. Solution! I added lemongrass essential oil. I added 5 drops to the 2 Oz container and it covered the smell just enough for me to use. Besides lemongrass is great for the skin. I used twice now with no ill effects. Yea! Hope this helps someone.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love this product so much, but it is just the worst for my skin. I don't mind the smell, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes they start to tear up and my skin started sweating profusely after I applied this. Just. No.

on 8/30/2014 12:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

sorry to say i hated this moisturizer. like a lot of reviewers i found it irritating and foul smelling.

after testing a sample for two days i developed a very annoying rash of small itchy red lumps over my lower cheeks, and a week later i still had some residual blotches. my skin isn't super-sensitive by any means, and i've never had this kind of reaction before, so this cream must have something seriously irritating in it - at least to a percentage of the population.

and then there's the smell. when i say it's foul smelling, i don't mean it's mildly offensive, i mean it's genuinely revolting.
if i hadn't known it was fresh, i could easily have believed the sample i was using was the most rancid sample ever.

out of curiosity i googled 'why does hope in a jar smell so bad" and got 725,000 hits, so obviously there's a real issue here, and reading the reviews, it's clear that many reviewers struggle to convey how awful the cream smells.

on the other hand it's also clear that many reviewers have little or no problem with the way the cream smells, saying it has no smell, or it smells like flowers ... and that's pretty confusing. how can there be such a serious difference of opinion between the haters and everyone else?
when some reviewers can't imagine why others would object to the smell of the cream, and don't understand what all the fuss is about, and other reviewers find the smell so repulsive they can't imagine why anyone would want it on their face, you just know something has to be going on ;-)

i'm not an expert in this area but i understand the ability to detect certain odours is genetically determined.
for example, some people can smell freesias, and some people can't. i can smell them, and i love their scent, but those who can't smell them probably don't understand why they're admired so much.

similarly, only half the population can smell a hormone called androstenone (which is a steroid found in male and female sweat and urine, male pig saliva, and celery).
of those who can smell it, 30% find the smell ok or even nice ('pleasant', 'sweet' or 'similar to vanilla') but 70% find it absolutely foul ('stale urine').
that's quite a range of different responses to one chemical.

maybe some ingredient in hope in a jar is subject to this kind of effect? perhaps the serious difference of opinion about the way the cream smells occurs because some people are smelling something that other people can't?
this could explain why there are reviewers that hate the smell, and reviewers that don't understand why.

for those of you who are getting lavender or sour milk, count your blessings. sadly for me and others like me, who are smelling something far more disturbing, this truly is the sweaty armpit of moisturisers ;-)

so what have i learned?
answer: always check MUA before trying new skincare.
despite the rave reviews (and they can't all be due to the oprah effect), at the time of writing this review, the product is only rated 2.8 / 39% across 1,659 reviews.
that's pretty low, and shows there's more haters than lovers, so given that there's plenty of product options out there, and no reason to waste time on potentially problematic products like this one, i should have just ditched the sample and moved on, and avoided the whole unpleasant experience ;-)

on 5/14/2014 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this is a value pack from QVC. I love the purity made simple that came with is and read all the rave reviews on this stuff. I swear that my jar had to be expired. The smell was so awful. It smelled like fish, or metal. The smell I cannot stand is the smell that comes off of keys or coins when handling them. Every time I wore this stuff I could not get past the smell. HATED IT! Could be that I got a bad jar, but either way, the moisturzer wasnt anything special anyway. Would not repurchase, huge regret, waste of a lot of money!

on 1/28/2014 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

So everyone raves about how great Philosophy products are and I do like Purity Made Simple Cleanser but this mosturizer wasn't good.

Usually my skin doesn't like change. I do not break out in acne but I do get red hive like bumps when my skin doesn't agree with a product. I was nervous to try a new moisturizer but surprisingly it didn't irritate my skin which is awesome. But... I feel that it is not mosturizing at all especially since I have dry skin. I also think that this product has a really bad scent that lingers. I understand that Purity Made Simple smells like this too but it doesn't linder like the moisturizer does. I also don't mind the scent in purity made simple as long as it works and this mosturizer just doesn't work well enough for the price and size.

I say don't bother with this moisturizer..

on 10/4/2013 10:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was on vacation not too long ago and my friend had this moisturizer. She kept talking about how great it was so I decided to try hers out a few times. I used it under my makeup and everything was fine--I don't remember any horrible smell and mixed with my foundation it had a nice finish. About an hour later, my face and neck started itching like crazy. I just thought maybe it was irritated or something. The next day I used the moisturizer like before, and again, my face and neck were itching so bad. That moisturizer was the only thing new I was using and I soon realized that it was the source of my problem. And let me just say that I can put pretty much anything on my face and I will not have a reaction to it. This moisturizer is the only product I have EVER used that caused such a reaction. I don't know what it is, but there is something in there that my body just doesn't like. I'm really glad the price made me hesitant to purchase the moisturizer before I tried it because I would have been very disappointed!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Indian, NC40-42, dark brown eyes and black hair for reference. I truly love this moisturizer. It keeps me hydrated all day, my skin feels so soft, and I really love the scent. Used it years ago when I received it as a gift, and then in true beauty addict fashion tried several other face creams for kicks. Have just started another jar of this, and was reminded of how much I love it. I will definitely buy again!