Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

2.3

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have dry skin and was hoping this would work. Wrong. Payed £39 for something thats super thin, stings my eyes and both drys my skin out, exacerbates my eczema, and gives me spots all at the same time !! What an overhyped disappointment - my £2 Epaderm is better.

on 12/14/2016 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The only hope for hope in a jar (and all varieties of it) is that they change it to hope in a opaque tube in order to preserve the small amount of antioxidants it has. Why so many companies continue to use jars is beyond me; exposing the contents to air--ie OXYGEN--renders ANTIoxidants useless.

Additionally, it contains several potential irritants, including lavender oil, limonene, linalool, geraniol, and parabens. At this price, you're paying a ridiculous amount for nothing except some extra moisture and essentially zero anti-aging or skin-repairing benefits. Plus even with freshly washed hands, you're at risk of contaminating the entire jar. Jar products are excellent mediums to grow bacteria, and it doesn't take much.

With so many affordable options on the market, this one should stay on the shelf. Check out the Olay line, which has whopping doses of skin-repairing niacinamide, and you can get the full line for the same price as one useless no hope in jar.

on 9/11/2013 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Overpriced and did nothing for me and I had such high hopes for the cost

on 1/8/2012 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

I was excited to try this product given all the hype but was really disappointed once i finally did. Not only did it burn my face but it smelt horrible. The cream also had a really strange consistency and made me break out. I took it straight back to the store.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

overall a great moisturizer, gives good moisture retention, air whipped and feather light but serious on moisture and toning capablitys. great for premakeup as well as it instantly moves into the skin. only reason i dont give this a 5 is becuase of the lavender scent. some love it, i dont. I personally use when hope is not enough. its for dryer skin, but very mild if not non existant scent.

on 7/26/2011 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I really thought I had a bad jar of this. I put this on my face after getting it in the mail yesterday and YUCK it smells like a wet dog!!!! I found that others were noticing this too after reading about it here on mu. It did leave a really nice feeling on my skin though. So if I can stand the stink I will continue to use it but won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

As much as I like this cream, it is just not moisturising enough for me in the winter. Feels nice as you put it on and it's a nice consistency. But alas, not for me.

on 12/2/2010 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Meh. I have dry skin and I bought it because this was one of Sephora's cult faves. It really didn't do anything for me. I prefer Kiehl's ultra facial over this product. Will not buy again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a good moisturizer, but is smells TERRIBLE. It smells like a wet dog. For the price, it isnt as amazing as I was hoping. I am sure there are better products out there that would be worth spending good money on, but this isnt one of them. I will be searching for a different moisturizer.

on 2/18/2010 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

A couple of years ago, I had a big problem with my eczema. My cheeks were so red teachers got worried and my skin felt so scaly dry. I went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me heavy creams that incidentally just made everything worse or did nothing at all. But then I went to Sephora and picked up Hope in a Jar because my sister used it (still does) and loved it. I was AMAZED! My eczema cleared up and the overall health of my skin improved greatly. I really do think it saved my skin. I don't use it anymore because it did begin to lose its effect on my skin and while it does moisturize, it doesn't work miracles like it did before but I still recognize it as my skin's savior because my skin has vastly changed since then.

Unlike most of these reviewers, I actually liked the smell of the moisturizer when I first used it for it has a sort of herbally yet chemically fresh and clean smell. But when I picked up recently, I realized the stench was a bit off but nothing too horrible in my opinion.

It feels very light and whipped, almost like water and moisturizes pretty well but not heavy duty enough for my skin in winter. I used a lot of the product though to cover my face though and with the price, it was just a little bit of a put off.

Really recommend it though! Though it has lost its effectiveness on my skin it really changed my skin my first jar!