Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

2.7

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Smells just like melted plastic

on 7/21/2014 10:39:00 PM

I got a travel size from Sephora and I am so glad I didn't spend big bucks on this. I have fair sensitive skin and thought this would be ok to use. NO! At application I felt tingly/stinging on my face, not super uncommon. Within an hour my whole face was itchy. I cleaned my face and figured that would do it. 24 hours later I am still applying calamine lotion. My face broke out to what it similar to poison ivy. It is itchy, bumpy, red, and swollen! I hope I don't scar. This was a no makeup day, so I know the breakout was from HIAJ. I have read from a lot of reviews online that the ingredient Lavender Oil may be the culprit. Beware and do a test patch!

on 5/22/2014 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

If I could give this zero stars, I would. I'm glad that it isn't just me that doensn't like this moisturizer as it doesn't have a good rating on here eithier. But I always hear about how good it's supposed to be. First off the smell is absolutely disgusting, it makes me literally gag. And this is not a perfumey smell, this smells like rotten food. I don't understand how anyone can stand the smell no matter how good it performs. But to top it off, I hate the moisturzer itself, I felt like I was wearing a mask when I wore this moisturizer cause it just sits on your face. Don't waste your money on this, glad I had just a sample and didn't actually go to buy it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one - I really don't understand AT ALL how this moisturiser has developed such a cult status in the beauty world when it basically smells like something crawled into the pot, curled up and died! It's a truly awful smell and is entirely the reason why I will never use this moisturiser again. EVER!

It's difficult to describe just how unpleasant this smells, but for the purposes of this review I'll give it my best shot. To me this smells like a mixture of baby sick and rancid milk with a dash of lavendar essential oil, all mixed into a little jar which has then had the top firmly screwed on so the smell could mature. Like cheese. And the worst thing? Once it's on your skin it lingers. All day. I made the (huge) mistake of using this one morning and spent the rest of the day at work catching whiffs of it every time I moved, making me worried that my colleagues could also smell it and would wonder what was wrong with me!

Smell aside though, I saw no visible differences to my skin whilst using this. And given it's an award winning moisturiser I would have expected to see something. It's pricey too, coming in at 10GBP for a tiny 15ml before rocketing up to a whopping 34GBP for a 60ml jar. Luckily I got a trial size version as a freebie with some Philosophy shower gel, so didn't feel too bad when I stopped using it.

Ladies, PLEASE don't waste your money on this. Seriously, it's not worth it and your nostrils will thank you for it. There are other moisturisers out there that do just as a good a job, if not better and at a fraction of the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Honestly, I was excited about this product since I love Philosophy. But it just didn't work for me at all. First of all, the biggest turn off for me is the scent. It's just... gross. I'm very sensitive for scents and I disliked this too much. Even when this product is applied in a small amount, I can smell it all day. Ick!

On another note I was using this during winter, when my skin was getting very dry. It failed to moisturise my skin. I had the small size of this product, so I could carry it in my pocket. (haha! All the things I carry on myself...) I kept applying it, but my skin remained dry none the less. So I guess this isn't a suitable product for dry skins, which is ironic since it's meant to moisturise.

I cannot say I recommend this. ><

on 1/5/2013 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wanted to love it after reading all the reviews about it. All I can say is that it sits in one thick, sticky, greasy layer and didn't do anything much for my skin even after finishing it all. Makes me think twice about this brand.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I still remember Oprahs Favorite things from 2005. She was happily giving away products to a large audience. Hope in a Jar was one of them.

I stared in utmost wonder when she went on about the product. "I want it!!," I thought. But during those years, I thought buying taco bell for lunch was expensive.

Flash forward 7 years, I go to Sephora and get my hands on a sample of Hope in a Jar. Images of Oprah, winter happiness, elves and reindeers, and the audiences cheers all came rushing back to me.
As I opened the small sample, those elves and reindeers collapsed, snow became charcoal and cheers were manufactured laugh tracks. "What the heck was this chemical smelling mess???" I thought. "Oh, but wait," I thought. "This is where the product ironically smells bad, but is wonderful for your face."
I thought about it and applied it to my face. Then I felt the stinging.

Now my memories of Oprahs favorite things is tarnished.

La Fin.

on 10/13/2012 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for a gel-like moisturizer, and the sales lady said this one had a fantastic consistency. It's rather runny, doesn't spread well and leaves that icky sticky film over your skin so you end up looking shiny the whole day. My skin had finally stopped acting up with the use of the previous (fantastic) moisturizer i used, and this one managed to ruin that in just 2 days.
I paid EUR35 for this - complete waste of money.

on 1/29/2012 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

How does this product sell, at all? I got a sample of this (I think through Ulta) and one day decided to use it instead of my normal moisturizer. Immediately I noticed the God-awful gross smell. Not pleasant at all. For some reason, I went ahead and put it on my face. Ow! Burning, stinging, especially around my eyes (I didn't even use it on my eye area though- I think it was literally the scent of the product that was burning my eyes). After about 20 minutes of letting it remain on my skin, just trying to see how it worked, I just couldn't take it anymore- the persistent stinging, the smell, etc. I washed it off. Lo and behold, the next day I had a couple of pimples...! Coincidence? I can't say for certain, of course, but holy hell, this stuff is awful.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This crap fking smells disgusting!!! Also, this is horrible for sensitive skin and can't believe I slathered this all over my face before reading reviews on it. This made my eyes instantly red and watery within seconds and it stung my eye so badly I had to close it for a few seconds, and I didn't even put this on my eye area or close.. And this crap smells like sour burnt plastic garbage. To be honest, I don't even care about the result, the smell is fking horrible it makes me wanna puke... but sadly the smell is also on my hands now also...UGH!!! I have never hated a product so much like this one. Oh, and the consistensy is very runny and watery NOT luxurious at all and it doesn't moisturize well either, I use a generous amount and my skin feels tight after a few minutes. This stuff is pure trash, I mean it!!!! -.-