Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

3.3

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 3/1/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am older and this doesn't work for me. My skin is not particularly sensitive but it irritates me and doesn't seem to give to either clearer skin tone or moisture.

on 7/23/2014 12:38:00 AM

There is a slight smell but it doesn't linger I'm over 60 yrs old acne prone STILL ugh fair and sensitive This product is HG for me Never has broken me out like heavier creams and my face is soft and moisturized I use PC BHA 2% and her 8%AHA to keep my skin clear alternating night and day use Twice daily HIAJ morning and night I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin and now only use a light dusting of Bare Minerals sheer veil You just have to see what works for you I've spent huge $$$ over the years and this works for me Don't give up! There's something out there that works for you Keep trying the sample sizes until you hit the right ones for you for me HIAJ is great and I love it

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this as a beauty tube item and it surprised me. It's a light, whipped cream that seems to have a lot of water mixed into it. When you apply it, it melts onto the face and feels almost wet. Then it absorbs. As such, it doesn't seem to work well on a moist face. I don't detect much of a fragrance.

It works well for a summer moisturizer--I apply it all over face and down neck and chest area. For winter, I wouldn't rely on it. But I do like it and I reach for it continually in the summer.

on 7/4/2014 12:29:00 AM

I purchased Hope in a Jar facial cream and body lotion along with a package of 24 Microdelivery Triple-Acid Brightening peels. The cream "fragrance" is disgusting. The body lotion fragrance is also and, wouldn't you know, this fragrance has "staying-power"! I have no idea how to describe the fragrance except it there is rather repulsive. It's one of the worst cosmetic fragrances I have ever smelled.

More importantly (the smell should have been a warning) but I persevered with the products at night and1x week with the peel, and as a result I went from no bumps or acne at all on my face, to having fluid-filled bumps eventually all over my face. I don't know if it was the peel or the cream but I finally wised-up and stopped using them. It took weeks to get over the reaction I had - ugg. It was awful. I'd never experienced this before.

But, I healed and am back to my tried and true facial products, thankfully! There are much better products out there so if you are in doubt - stay away!

on 3/12/2014 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this product since becoming a Philosophy girl about 12 years ago (through an infomercial). I really can't count how many jars of this stuff (2 oz and 4 oz.) that I have been through. I now use Philosophy's Miracle Worker line at night, but Hope in a Jar is my daytime moisturizer. This is the first moisturizer that I have used consistently without having it break me out. It seemed that anything I was using prior to this, afer 6 to 8 months, it just wouldnt work any more -- i.e. clogged pores and breakouts. I let my sister use this one time when we were traveling and she forgot night cream -- she thought it smelled awful! However, the next morning she was amazed at how soft her face was (she is 13 years older than me).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I finally gave in to my curiosity and bought Hope in a Jar moisturizer. I got a good deal on it at the Army Exchange since the price is lower and you pay no sales tax. I began using it almost 2 weeks ago and it has made my skin feel like a baby's bottom. I have very few wrinkles, even though I am a 60 year old African American grandmother. My skin is slightly oily on my forehead and T-zone. However, my skin tends to be drier in the fall and winter months. So, I wanted a lightweight moisturizer that I could wear day and night. I use it over my nightly serum and I have been getting compliments regarding my skin having a glow. I mix the Hope in a Jar with my liquid foundation during the day and it gives me a dewy, glowing complexion. I wished I had tried this years ago. It will be a permanent part of my skin treatment regimen.

on 10/15/2013 6:08:00 PM

I didn't like this at all, only provided about 15 minutes of moisture then dried my skin worse than before I applied it.

on 5/21/2013 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Had heard some hype about the Philosophy line but never used it until I recently received a gift which included this "Hope In A Jar" moisturizer along with "Hope In A Jar Night" moisturizer and the " Purity Cleanser". Agree with the poor (hygiene) packaging but gave all items a try. Very "different" fragrances and weird consistencies but stuck with the regimen per some good reviewer comments. Within a couple of weeks or so I started developing boil - like blemishes deep within the skin - which I had not experienced since pre-puberty, followed by a general bumpiness all over the areas where creams were applied. I then tried eliminating each one over time to find the culprit. The day and night creams were DEFINITELY the main offenders. I allowed my face to completely clear before trying the "Hope In A Jar" day cream by itself and my skin started to break out again. Same experience when the night cream was isolated. The Purity cleanser when used alone even caused issues after a while and felt harsh and chemical on my skin. I feel these products are not worth the marketing hype.
Retuned to my gentle cleanser and moisturizers and my skin is clear and happy again!

UPDATE: recently read an independent research/watchdog site to protect consumers from false claims and also gives the facts about product ingredients on our skin. The "Hope" creams were given poor to average ratings and also did not contain all ingredients claimed, but more importantly contained ingredients that are likely to cause irritation. The cleanser had a POOR rating for containing harsh fragrances and chemicals that strip essential oils in our skin.

I had high hopes for this because I had heard it was so great from many sources. I have to disagree. It has a thick waxy beaten egg white consistency that I disliked immediately, plus the smell is too strong. I don't like the feel of it on my face and didn't think that it moisturized to the extent that it should. It was a huge disappointment and there are many other much better alternatives. Back to Olay!

on 11/16/2011 11:26:00 PM

This is the best moisturizer that I have found. Having lived in a place known for extreme winter weather conditions, I found it was simply the best product for moisturizing my face, hands down.