e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've bought this brush in 2010 or 2011? After a couple of years the handle came loose, so I just glued it back together and it hasn't come off since. It hasn't bled, it hasn't shed. It's easy to clean and still soft 7 years later. I use this for blush, for bronzer, for cream for powder. It can handle anything. It was one of the first brushes I ever bought, and now i'm looking at other elf brushes since this has held up so well. even the text is still on the handle!

I do have dedicated brushes now for applying blush, bronzer or highlighter so I don't use it everyday. But whenever a brush is dirty or i'm trying a new product or routine I grab this brush. The quality is outstanding for the price and it still looks like new.

I'm also a big fan of real techinques brushes but the rubber end on the handle gets sticky after a couple of years, the printed text wears off and the ferrules get dented after travel. You can see that they are old. But my complexion brush looks still the same.

The brush is oval shaped and decently dense. It's not a very dense brush, it's still supple and slightly floppy. This means that it's perfect to give a medium to light application of blush/bronzer, and the shape makes is suitable for quick contouring or blending out face powders. I did find it was slightly streaky with very pigmented blushes, but that's really more down to the shape. a round domed brush is much better at an even application. I mostly prefer it for bronzer and contouring as it never gives you a too harsh appearance. It's also an easy brush to bring along if you are like me and only want to bring one face brush for everything.

If you think you'll use this type of brush, go for it. I understand that elf brushes might be hit or miss, but it totally worth to give this brush a shot. If for some reason I ever lose this brush, I will repurchase it. It's a true multitasker

on 8/28/2017 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This brush is one of my favorites, and I think I have three or four of them. They last, though one did get tossed after many years of use, and I like using this for either applying powder/mineral foundation, blending concealer, or adding a coat of powder. I tend to clean these with baby wipes, which isn't probably the best way to do it, but I just swipe them over a fresh sheet and get the old product and whatever else off. They last a really long time, too. For something like $3 (they may be up to $4 now), I have gotten tons of use out of these particular brushes. They're not super fluffy or dense, but not wispy either, but just a good in between for me and multiple makeup uses.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This brush is an all-time favorite of mine for applying face powder and blush. It picks up product efficiently and perfectly applies it across my face every time I use it. The bristles are packed tightly, but they are long enough to provide a lovely softness to this brush. As the bristles are synthetic, one could use cream and liquid products with this brush. I have only used it with powder cosmetics, but I have been tremendously pleased with the results.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was so impressed by ELF flat top powder brush that I've bought this one.
All my other brushes are from Bobbi Brown, Dior, Sisley and as much as I love ELF flat top brush this one isn't for me.
Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing brush for the price. But there is nothing spectacular about it and I own couple of very similar brushes, that I like better.
Though I would totally recommend it to anyone who is not up to spend 45$ for a brush because below 45$ price point you'll hardly find anything comparable to this one.

on 10/20/2016 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No idea how e.l.f. is able to produce and sell so many makeup brushes for only $3! This brush is large but not fluffy, rather it is almost flat like a paddle but with a domed/curved edge to it. I use this with the e.l.f. tone correcting pressed powder to swirl the colors together and apply as a finishing powder - love it for this purpose. Bristles are soft and deposit just the right amount of powder on my face. The only issue I have ever had with an e.l.f. brush before was the flat topped powder brush I used to apply foundation. Okay, my fault since it was labeled "powder" brush and I used it for liquid foundation but it applied it so beautifully I couldn't help myself. Downside to that was I washed it so often that the glue inside the ferrel broke down and the handle became loose over time. Lesson learned - be gentle with cleaning to not over soak the bristles too far up and the brush should remain intact much longer. Thankfully this brush does not appear to retain product (maybe because this powder is awesome?) but I don't find myself having to clean it as often. Well worth the $3 in my opinion and highly recommend it.

on 5/17/2016 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This brush definitely does its job. However, as I've begun to splurge a little more on my makeup brushes, I can't help but notice how cheap this brush is. The handle came loose after a few months. The bristles feel pretty rough on the skin. Maybe it's just drying up from all the washes its had. In any case I used to use it for all-over face powder, but like I said I felt it was a little bit too rough. Started using it for bronzer, but I prefer a more natural look, and this brush picks up product quite well so I would end up looking waaay too sunburnt. All in all I'd say it's a good cheap multitasker brush, but I do think I've better powder brushes that are much softer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this brush about a year a go and loved it. Blended my blush/bronzer seamlessly. It was so great I wanted to buy several more to have a clean one to blend everything, and some for just blush and bronzer. Well a few weeks ago I finally went to Target and bought three more brushes, and was crushed they are not the same. The best way I can describe it is that they taper into more of an oval shape. They do not apply the same as my old one, the blush/bronzer does not go on evenly. It is a clumsy brush. Maybe I just bought a bad brush? The kabuki one blends much better, the tapered and angled brush I like more for blush and bronzer.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pros:
- Full.
- Soft.
- Cheap.

Cons:
- Bristles a little long, giving it more "flop" than I like for buffing.

This is a very nice full brush useful for things like applying bronzer and blush. I don't like it so much for powder foundation, especially if you're having to work product vigorously into your skin. The shorter, larger kabuki brushes are much more appropriate for that. This is a very good brush, however. Very soft and has not shed at all in the year I've had it. The only other synthetic brushes I've felt that were softer are the Velvet IT brushes from Ulta.

I love the E.L.F makeup brushes. They are very affordable and readily available in drugstores. I love the price only $3 per makeup brush. These brushes are soft and they don't shed I also love the packaging it has a high end look. I use this brush to apply my Coty powder . I love these brushes and they are great for any age. I recommend you give these brushes a try.

on 7/24/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have two of these. I didn't really like it for powder application but it's absolute amazing for blush and bronzer due to how flat and fanned out it is. Love it, I'll definitely repurchase

Popular Makeup Brushes