e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, I thought this looked like a great brush at a great price. However, I bought it at Target today for $3 and it fell apart straight out of the package when I got it home. The handle is also crooked if I put it back together. Also, there is a small section of bristles that seem to be "mushed" and a bit stiff. How disappointing! I will have to return it which is annoyingly time-consuming.

on 9/3/2011 8:55:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was excited to try this brush based on the reviews. I own many expensive brushes which I love but I'm always on the lookout for a good inexpensive alternative. I pulled this out of the package and immediately had to pull out large swathes of the bristles. I thought, OK, maybe this will be the end of any further shedding, but sadly that was not the case. I applied some loose powder with it and had to pick them off. If you don't mind the constant shedding then it was $3 well spent.

on 8/13/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Not a pleasure to use, but gets the job done all right. Looks and feels ordinary at best. Not soft, but not too coarse. Is just a plain black brush. I only use it for blush because I don't wear powder or foundation. Would not repurchase, as I do like my brushes to be as soft as they can be. I much prefer my Ecotools bronzer brush to this one, which is eco-friendly and has a 4.8 rating on MUA. The price is the only area that this wins out.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is for the black studio line complexion brush. I have 4 of the white handled E.L.F eyeshadow brushes and LOVE them so after reading the good reviews on the complexion brush and loving the other brush I thought, how could I go wrong for $3. I was so mislead! I think the only thing this brush is good for is shedding. I've had the brush for 3 days and the hair just comes out in small clumps. Not only that but the black paint on the handle is just chipping off in chunks. The brush was very soft and felt good on my skin but I was definitely not impressed enough to overlook these flaws. This one goes to the product graveyard....my 12 year old sister who will enjoy playing with this. The good thing is that I only wasted $3!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Unlike everyone else here, I really dislike this brush. I thought it'd be perfect for blush and bronzer but it doesn't pick up very much product and it just deposits color the first place you apply it. I don't like my brushes picking up so little product and the fact that I cannot blend with it bothers me. But if you want a sheer application this will work for you. Definitely not for contouring, it's way too wide. I love how soft it is and how it comes with its own little plastic case but it just doesn't cut it.

on 5/17/2016 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This brush definitely does its job. However, as I've begun to splurge a little more on my makeup brushes, I can't help but notice how cheap this brush is. The handle came loose after a few months. The bristles feel pretty rough on the skin. Maybe it's just drying up from all the washes its had. In any case I used to use it for all-over face powder, but like I said I felt it was a little bit too rough. Started using it for bronzer, but I prefer a more natural look, and this brush picks up product quite well so I would end up looking waaay too sunburnt. All in all I'd say it's a good cheap multitasker brush, but I do think I've better powder brushes that are much softer.

on 11/29/2015 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I disagree with the opinions that this brush is soft. Mine was well built - no shedding, a very nice density for applying loose powder from a sifter jar, which is what I purchased it for, and the handle is a confortable length for a good grip while still letting me lean in close to the mirror for nearsightedness. For these positive factors, 3 stars.

The bristles, however, are vaguely prickly. Not enough for me to call them irritating or rough, but certainly not as soft or smooth as other synthetics I own, namely from the older generation of Ecotools as well as the German Pfeilring brand, as well as Catrice and even some essence facial brushes.

It's a great shape and I love how floppy it is - I don't want a dense brush packing on loose powder - but the actual quality of the synthetic bristles themselves could be better, finer and easier on the skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

used to love it so much but now its meh

on 6/10/2015 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Add a tiny drop of tea tree oil to the Cetaphil if you need to disinfect your brushes. Hot water melts glue, so cool to tepid is better.

on 8/8/2013 2:48:00 AM

I have two of these brushes, one I got a while ago and one I just ordered. I don't know if I got a dud or something, but it's useless compared to the old one. The new one has much less bristles compared to the old one, and its much coarser. When I press the bristles, its about half as dense as the old one. Not happy about this. I'm really hoping its just a dud, since i was planning on buying more of these, but the flat top kabuki brush i got the same times was the same. Much less dense than the old one. Disappointed.

Popular Makeup Brushes