e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

ELF Studio Complexion BrushStudio Complexion BrushStudio Complexion Brush27

4.5

Price: $

Price: $

All the raves for this brush are right on. This is a great, and quite soft, classic paddle powder brush, ideal for loose powders in particular. The sides form the perfect flat shape (ala MAC 134) to tap into sifter powder lids to capture the powder, and then for pressing and taping the loose powder onto the face, to really set foundation, before then changing to a sweeping motion to move the set powder all over, and the excess off the face for a light and even finish.

Yes, the MAC and other much more expensive brushes are very slightly larger, denser, and a tiny touch softer. And they have a weightier and more expensive feel in the hand, if you have the money to splurge and those tactile traights are important to you. But for those that are gearing toward a light and natural, but even coverage, of powder, for 3 bucks this brush offers excellent performance and is one of the best buys in the cosmetic world, period.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

At first I wasn't sure what to do with this brush but after experimenting with all things powder, I realize you can use it for most things. I wouldn't recommend it if you are only using powder as foundation, because it wouldn't get the coverage but as far as powder over foundation, blush and bronzer, it works and feels like a dream. I didn't think I was going to get any color with it because of its fluffiness, but somehow it works beautifully. It's also great for setting powder and blending face for a more natural look after you are done with your makeup.
Another great, cheap brush

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I realized today while washing my brushes that I reach for this brush ALL the time. I don't think of it in my mind as something super special, but I guess it kind of is! I use it for a few different things; mostly for all over powder application, but it's also good for bronzer or applying shimmery powder over your collarbones. This isn't a super dense brush but it's not flimsy either, so it's good for applying powder lightly. The flattened shape allows you to apply powder easily to all the contours of your face. I really get a lot of use out of it, and you can NOT beat the price!

on 10/28/2017 2:02:00 PM

I LOVE, love, love this brush! It's so sturdy, dense, soft and I've also never had any shedding- I have used it daily for ages. I can't even remember how I came upon it, that's how long I've had it and t looks brand new. This has replaced my MAC stiple brush as I find it sweeps my blush on so much better, like it glides over nicely. I can't be without it. I only use it for my blush or maybe bronzer when I wear the latter and it is perfect!

I've had this soft and serviceable brush for a long time... I can't say exactly how long. Could be anywhere from 4-5 years; and it is finally about to fly the coup. This brush, along with the other e.l.f. brushes I bought around that same time, have started to shed like crazy and are entirely unusable. However, you can hardly blame an inexpensive brush for shedding after that length of time- probably even a pricey one would.

I've used this primarily as my main blush brush, but also as an all-over bronzer brush and a powder brush. When you're traveling and need to carry fewer brushes this is a real multitasker.

A couple issues with this brush were that shortly after I got it, the black paint chipped off the handle in a major way. That's simply an aesthetic thing and didn't bother me much. The other thing was that the brush head broke off the handle and had to be glued back on more than once. That one was more of an inconvenience. My mom has the same e.l.f. brushes and hers also required repair.

Overall the brush was good value, in spite of the maintenance concerns! But it is time to retire it. I live in Canada and it's hard to find e.l.f., unless I'm lucky enough to stumble across it at Winners. And the website doesn't have the best Canadian shipping options. So I think I'll be replacing this brush with one from Real Techniques or EcoTools. But if you can pick it up, it's a good steal.

on 5/31/2012 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be a debbie-downer on this one, but this product isnt even worth the $3.00... it is soft & the design is very sophisticated, however, as far as the function its made to do is where it falls flat. The brush barely picks up much product (even in my most pigmented products) and when I do manage to get some on the bristles, it gets lost or something inside the brush and doesnt show up on my skin. Even thought this brush is cheap, doesnt mean its a good deal, I'd say save your money and get a better quality one that will actually work!

on 10/20/2016 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No idea how e.l.f. is able to produce and sell so many makeup brushes for only $3! This brush is large but not fluffy, rather it is almost flat like a paddle but with a domed/curved edge to it. I use this with the e.l.f. tone correcting pressed powder to swirl the colors together and apply as a finishing powder - love it for this purpose. Bristles are soft and deposit just the right amount of powder on my face. The only issue I have ever had with an e.l.f. brush before was the flat topped powder brush I used to apply foundation. Okay, my fault since it was labeled "powder" brush and I used it for liquid foundation but it applied it so beautifully I couldn't help myself. Downside to that was I washed it so often that the glue inside the ferrel broke down and the handle became loose over time. Lesson learned - be gentle with cleaning to not over soak the bristles too far up and the brush should remain intact much longer. Thankfully this brush does not appear to retain product (maybe because this powder is awesome?) but I don't find myself having to clean it as often. Well worth the $3 in my opinion and highly recommend it.

on 7/10/2013 7:51:00 PM

Get this brush! You can't go wrong really, it's great, especially for the price. Super soft, does not shed, fluffy, easy to work with, versitale, cheap. Lovely. I use it for finishing powder and 'all over' bronzer. Can be used for blush/highlight and maybe even contour but I prefer other brushes. Also great for overall blending, if you have your blush, powder, contour, bronzer, highlighting and whatever on, to go all over your face with this one to mix it all in; edges are gone and everything is beautifully blended.

Just another one of my favorite brushes by E.L.F! I use it for blush, bronzer, mineral foundation, and blending/buffing. It works well for every use. The bristles are so soft and it never sheds.

on 5/21/2012 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Love this brush! I have many many brushed but the thing I love most about this one is that can give a very sheer in application. My skin is drier and slightly textured these days. Too many of my brushes apply heavy which results in a cakey look with powder but not this one. It is soft and sweeps a very natural finish whether with finishing powder, foundation, blush, bronzer, or whatever. I love it so much I bought 4 so that I have one for powder, one for blush, etc.

Popular Makeup Brushes