e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/11/2009 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This brush is a winner! Even though the handle on mine came loose after a few days (fixed that with some super glue), I still love this brush and think its a great deal! I use mine with finishing powder, it gives nice and even all-over dusting of powder. The synthetic bristles feel super soft on my skin. I also have the Ecotools blush brush and they are pretty much the same in terms of size and softness, except the e.l.f brush looks a lot more stylish with the all-over black look. The brush had a chemically smell when I first opened it but it went away after a few washes. For $3 bucks this is a steal, I am never spending so much money on high-end powder brushes again! Love it and definitely plan on repurchasing! =)

on 5/16/2011 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

ITS SOOO FLUFFY IM GONNA DIE!!!!!!! :D
I love this brush its amazing
nuff said (;

I am off to Target to buy 3 more of these- One for powder, One for liquid foundation and one for bronzer. Seriously bought this on a whim, and I am so impressed. No shedding, even after washing, even smooth coverage..

I am a makeup artist with Laura Mercier, have also worked with Nars, Lancome and Bobbi Brown- and this brush is just as good, if not BETTER than the $35-45 brushes in these lines!!

The Studio Complexion brush has a rather unique design. Although its front profile appears to like all other blush/powder brushes, when you turn it sideways, you actually see that it is quite flat. This will be the factor that may cause you to turn you off the brush.

The bristles are very soft but not that dense. So when I apply my blush, it goes on rather lightly which I don't mind because I like a light touch with my powders. What I like about the flat, tapered design is that after I apply my blush on the apples of my cheeks, I can turn it on its side and use it to contour my blush up to my temples.

All the raves for this brush are right on. This is a great, and quite soft, classic paddle powder brush, ideal for loose powders in particular. The sides form the perfect flat shape (ala MAC 134) to tap into sifter powder lids to capture the powder, and then for pressing and taping the loose powder onto the face, to really set foundation, before then changing to a sweeping motion to move the set powder all over, and the excess off the face for a light and even finish.

Yes, the MAC and other much more expensive brushes are very slightly larger, denser, and a tiny touch softer. And they have a weightier and more expensive feel in the hand, if you have the money to splurge and those tactile traights are important to you. But for those that are gearing toward a light and natural, but even coverage, of powder, for 3 bucks this brush offers excellent performance and is one of the best buys in the cosmetic world, period.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Soft
-Not scratchy
-Hardly sheds
-Dense

Cons:
-Has an unpleasant smell (Lingers after 1st wash. Not washed it more yet, will update when I do)
-Bristles aren't "bouncy". It goes out of shape with a little pressure and doesn't "bounce" back to shape so have to constantly reshape during use
-Takes long to dry (since it's quite dense)

I've not used this for application yet, will update when I do.

A little tip to get it to dry faster: Towel-dry it first.

After washing, squeeze all the water out, then, as if you're doing a after-use clean, swipe your brush up and down repeatedly on a clean towel to semi-dry it before leaving it out to dry properly.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I adore this brush!! I use it for bronzer, blush, and finishing powder. The bristles aren't rough and unlike other cheap powder brushes I've tried, this doesn't shed everywhere. When I wash it it does shed bristles sometimes, but that's about it. I've had it for six months and it's still going strong. Considering the fact that this cost less than $3, I think that's pretty good! If you're looking for a multi-tasking face brush and don't mind drugstore brushes then I highly recommend getting this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Love, love my E.L.F. brushes and I plan to get more when I can. This is a great brush if I want to apply my powder foundation lightly for a very sheer look or if I want to buff my makeup. It's also good for applying blush or bronzer.

Either way, it's a very versatile brush with nice, soft bristles and you can't beat the price!

on 1/3/2012 1:27:00 PM

Wow, another great find, thanks to MUA! As a high-end snob, I had low expectations for the performance of this brush (or any other DS brush, for that matter!) I was looking for a new powder brush, as I wanted to start using my MAC duo fibre brush for my foundation instead of powder. Well, let me tell you, I think it works better than the MAC brush! Its so so soft and applies my setting powder so beautifully. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Unlike everyone else here, I really dislike this brush. I thought it'd be perfect for blush and bronzer but it doesn't pick up very much product and it just deposits color the first place you apply it. I don't like my brushes picking up so little product and the fact that I cannot blend with it bothers me. But if you want a sheer application this will work for you. Definitely not for contouring, it's way too wide. I love how soft it is and how it comes with its own little plastic case but it just doesn't cut it.

Popular Makeup Brushes