e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've bought this brush in 2010 or 2011? After a couple of years the handle came loose, so I just glued it back together and it hasn't come off since. It hasn't bled, it hasn't shed. It's easy to clean and still soft 7 years later. I use this for blush, for bronzer, for cream for powder. It can handle anything. It was one of the first brushes I ever bought, and now i'm looking at other elf brushes since this has held up so well. even the text is still on the handle!

I do have dedicated brushes now for applying blush, bronzer or highlighter so I don't use it everyday. But whenever a brush is dirty or i'm trying a new product or routine I grab this brush. The quality is outstanding for the price and it still looks like new.

I'm also a big fan of real techinques brushes but the rubber end on the handle gets sticky after a couple of years, the printed text wears off and the ferrules get dented after travel. You can see that they are old. But my complexion brush looks still the same.

The brush is oval shaped and decently dense. It's not a very dense brush, it's still supple and slightly floppy. This means that it's perfect to give a medium to light application of blush/bronzer, and the shape makes is suitable for quick contouring or blending out face powders. I did find it was slightly streaky with very pigmented blushes, but that's really more down to the shape. a round domed brush is much better at an even application. I mostly prefer it for bronzer and contouring as it never gives you a too harsh appearance. It's also an easy brush to bring along if you are like me and only want to bring one face brush for everything.

If you think you'll use this type of brush, go for it. I understand that elf brushes might be hit or miss, but it totally worth to give this brush a shot. If for some reason I ever lose this brush, I will repurchase it. It's a true multitasker

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I adore this brush!! I use it for bronzer, blush, and finishing powder. The bristles aren't rough and unlike other cheap powder brushes I've tried, this doesn't shed everywhere. When I wash it it does shed bristles sometimes, but that's about it. I've had it for six months and it's still going strong. Considering the fact that this cost less than $3, I think that's pretty good! If you're looking for a multi-tasking face brush and don't mind drugstore brushes then I highly recommend getting this.

Great price (3$) for a very decent brush! I use it for powder (both pressed and loose) and it can be compared with other more expensive brands (I have sigma brushes, EcoTools, Real techniques, etc.) Itís soft, quite dense and I never had any problems with shedding though I use to wash it every week. Design is also nice, looks professional, I would never say it costs just 3 bucks....:))

on 6/13/2014 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have had this for several years. Can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet especially since I have used it for many purposes and different products. I currently use it to set my foundation with the hourglass ambient lighting powder and it works great for that.

If you are in the market to get a makeup brush for setting powder, use this instead. There's no need to plunge big money on purchasing the expensive hourglass one to set your ambient lighting powder. It definitely works better on pressed powder and for the price, you can't beat it.

Rumour has it, this used to be great. For me it was too late.
The current version is not dense. Unless there is confirmation that ELF has brought this back to its original quality, I wouldn't waste cash. There are so many similar synthetic brushes, which cost slightly more but are actually worth their price.

on 11/22/2012 9:46:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This brush is my everyday brush. I use this to apply my loose powder. I used to use my kabuki brush in prior times, then i try this brush. Kabuki is just too dense for me. This brush is much better.

I always have problem when applying powder on my eyes area. It's hard to apply it evenly with my kabuki, cause kabuki is too dense. When i use my untitled brush, it stings my eye area cause it's too harsh and coarse.

Then i use this brush, and love it! This brush is soft. It's round shape makes me easier to apply loose powder to my eyes area.

I've washed my brush 4 times, and it's still in a good condition. It sheds just so little hair.

The handle is a little bit too long, but that's not a big deal for me. But, with it's size, of course this brush is not for travelling.

It's my favorite brush at this time. I have purchased this brush and lovvveee it.

Just another one of my favorite brushes by E.L.F! I use it for blush, bronzer, mineral foundation, and blending/buffing. It works well for every use. The bristles are so soft and it never sheds.

on 1/3/2012 1:27:00 PM

Wow, another great find, thanks to MUA! As a high-end snob, I had low expectations for the performance of this brush (or any other DS brush, for that matter!) I was looking for a new powder brush, as I wanted to start using my MAC duo fibre brush for my foundation instead of powder. Well, let me tell you, I think it works better than the MAC brush! Its so so soft and applies my setting powder so beautifully. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This brush is flat and 1.75" at the widest point. Although it's called a complexion brush, I wouldn't use it for powder or as a face brush since it is too small for that. BUT it's amazing as a blush brush. The perfect size! Not too big & not too small. Also, it doesn't splay out the way other (too) fluffy blush brushes do. It holds its shape and applies blush right where you want it to. It's very soft & really quite amazing.

on 10/29/2011 2:23:00 PM

I had this brush for a long time not knowing what to use it for. One day, I decided to use it to lightly apply some bronzer. It worked great. It's now the only brush I'll use for applying bronzer and tranluscent powder to my face. I will repurchase.

Popular Makeup Brushes