Garden of Wisdom Cleansing Oil

No Image

2.5

Price: $

Price: $

Organic Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Peg-7 Olivate, Cromollient STS, Alkyl Benzoate, Rosemary Oil Extract

on 1/6/2013 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for their Sensitive Cleansing Oil.
Ingredients: apricot oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, argan oil, hemp seed oil, cromollient SCE

I've considered making my own cleansing oil with an emulsifier, but figured I should try a sample of GoW first. First of all, the packaging is disappointing. I was hoping for a nice pump bottle -- not one with a flip cap. And as another user stated, it's best to use a quarter-sized amount to gently massage onto the face.

Other than that, I think this is a decent cleansing oil. I only use it at night to remove my physical sunscreen+moisturizer... I have yet to try it with makeup though. I've only used it a few times, so I haven't seen ~amazing~ results in terms of smoother texture. However, I just enjoy using it since it's natural and gentle. Oddly, the first two times I used it, my face felt slightly tight after rinsing with water. I haven't experienced that again. I also like how milky it becomes when washing it off. Personally, I think the emulsifier (cromollient SCE) does a good job at removing all the oils.

UPDATE: I ended up using the whole 1 oz bottle after nearly a month. Although I didn't get any miraculous results, I think it was good at removing my sunscreen as well as those awful 'plugs' from my face. I noticed it was good at getting rid of the few blackheads around my nose/cheek area. The best part is I never experienced horrible cystic breakouts because of this product. I won't be repurchasing, though. But I am interested in trying other oils mixed with a bit of polysorbate 20 (or 80) as cleansers.

on 3/7/2010 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really, really wanted to like this product...I had been reading about the OCM method and wanted to get rid of the sebum plugs and blackheads. After a week of using this product, I started getting terrible cystic pimples on my chin and neckline (where I never get blemishes) for three weeks. These have been the worst breakouts of my life and every day I regret trying OCM.

I've had really good experiences with other GoW products (hydrosols moisturizers, mandelic acid, salicylic acid) in the past so I don't think it's an issue of quality control. OCM may give some people miraculous results. However, it doesn't work for everyone and unfortunately, I'm one of those people.