Garden of Wisdom Cleansing Oil

3.9

on 3/10/2009 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have only used it once, but compared to DHC's cleansing oil which gave me a red rash immediately, this is looking hopeful. Removed all traces of makeup including waterproof mascara. Will update soon!
UPDATE: I have not used this on my face since the last time, but instead I use it to remove sunscreen from my body. I am hesitant to use this on my face because it leaves a slight film.

on 5/16/2009 2:28:00 PM

It took me a while to get the hang of using this product, but it works really well at getting off makeup (although I don't generally use a lot).

The important thing is to clean well afterward to get all residue off - a washcloth does this for me most times but sometimes I'll need to use a foaming cleanser afterwards. If using this together with a cleanser then I find it to be somewhat stripping and need to moisturise afterwards. Without the cleanser then it is just perfect. I find this to be a lot lighter than the DHC (the only other cleansing oil I've tried).

on 6/2/2009 4:11:00 PM

I've been a HUGE fan of cleansing oils since I discovered them a couple of years ago for clearing pores and taking off makeup and oils on skin. I've used DHC deep cleansing oil and repurchased many times, but I thought there must be one out there as good as this for a bit less money.

This is it. In fact, it's a bit lighter, not quite so thick, has a light pleasant scent, and a good mix of oils for my skin type, combo, oily, prone to clogpores.

It glides on skin. I massage in for a minute or two, add warm water to my fingertips and watch it melt off. Feels heavenly and softens skin after one use.

Very happy with this purchase, much less expensive, and very accessible from Garden of Wisdom.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm using cleansing oil to remove sunscreen in the evening; this is the best finished cleansing oil I've used so far. Comparisons: Shu Uemura (rapid irritation just on hands, so it went nowhere near the face), Dermalogica's PreCleanse (rapid irritation), and DHC (eventual clogging and irritability).

This is dramatically cheaper than the DHC, and lighter-weight (sweet almond and hazelnut oils, rather than just olive, and minus the coconut derivatives). Like the DHC, best applied with dry hands to dry skin, rubbed around a bit (gently), emulsified with tepid water, then washed off. I use a washcloth/face-cloth/flannel. Very little scent, and neither objectionable nor sneeze-inducing. I've found no need to wash again afterwards, unlike with the DHC. I've been following up with a splash of witch-hazel (aqueous - GoW again, one of the better straight-up no-alcohol ones I've found). Then moisturiser: often just a bit of oil on drier patches of skin. No zits, no irritation, all well and clear.

Costs $2.85/1oz, $8.40/4oz, $14.05/16oz plus shipping. Cruelty-free. Packaging: comes in a plastic flip-cap bottle with a fairly plain label, no frills, no objections here. The bottle is a fairly standard one, so if you'd prefer a pump top, go get one - they also sell such things on GoW - or reuse an old DHC bottle, that's what I'm doing at present.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Peg-7 Olivate, Cromollient STS, Alkyl Benzoate, Rosemary Oil Extract continued >>

on 11/28/2009 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

this is an economical alternative to other common cleansing oils. it is not as heavy as DHC, but also does not rinse off as well. it is more suited to drier skin. the scent is like a typical cooking oil-though not too strong or unpleasant. i asked for, and received, a pump dispenser (it was complimentary!)-you really need one for cleansing oils. if you cover the label with a couple of coats of clear nail polish, it won't peel off and the ink won't run.

on 3/7/2010 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really, really wanted to like this product...I had been reading about the OCM method and wanted to get rid of the sebum plugs and blackheads. After a week of using this product, I started getting terrible cystic pimples on my chin and neckline (where I never get blemishes) for three weeks. These have been the worst breakouts of my life and every day I regret trying OCM.

I've had really good experiences with other GoW products (hydrosols moisturizers, mandelic acid, salicylic acid) in the past so I don't think it's an issue of quality control. OCM may give some people miraculous results. However, it doesn't work for everyone and unfortunately, I'm one of those people.

on 3/13/2011 12:24:00 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cleansing oil. It has a pleasant fragrance and suits my combo skin type. I find it easy to apply with my fingertips and then I massage in circular motions for up to two minutes. It is then easily removed using warm water and a face washer.

I find it works equally well with my mineral or liquid foundations and it is fabulous at removing my eye makeup - even waterproof mascara seems to melt away.

Will definitely be repurchasing this baby!

I really like this. DHC wasn`t doing it for me: it was too thick, too chemically and it stung my eyes (which is never a good sign: it means harsh ingredients). I`ve tried straight Olive Oil, but it brought me out in cystic acne, but this is much better. As other reviewers have said: it`s lighter, it smells nicer, but it DOES get everything off AND rinse. leaves skin soft, although I always follow with a mild cleanser (the cystic olive oil experience scared me off doing straight OCM).

All in all, really like it. best cleansing oil i`ve found.

on 3/22/2011 5:26:00 PM

This oil cleanser on its own is a rather thick thing, that is hard to massage properly into the skin without using a lot. I much prefer a more liquid oil cleanser. To achieve this, I mix it 50/50 with the much thinner one, and the result is a perfect cleansing oil. Just the right consistency to be massaged into the skin (and eye area) easily, gets make-up off like a dream (even waterproof), and it rinses right off with water. Though, I prefer to use a muslin cloth just to be sure.

on 8/26/2011 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using GOW Oil cleanser for a few years now and this is the ONLY cleanser I use to clean my face . I have dry dehydrated skin and no matter how mild the cleanser was , my skin would feel tight after .
Its very easy to use - I rub some oil on hands and rub them on my face gently in a circular motion. Then I take a washcloth , soak it in warm water and put it on my face for a few seconds and rub all the makeup off.All the makeup comes off instantly ! It even takes waterproof mascara off.

Since I started using this cleanser my skin feels soft and not dry /tight anymore.

This is my HG cleanser and I don't bother trying out any other cleansers any more.