Essie Eternal Optimist #676

4.3

on 4/8/2018 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is one of my favorite nail polishes. It is a neutral pink-mauve color. The color goes with everything. Coverage is good, although I might get a slight streaking at times. I use two coats. It lasts longer than average, I would say. I wish the bottle was a little bigger. The Essie bottles are small.

on 4/2/2018 3:27:00 PM

I like this polish KINDA, but I can't get around that it just seems like something my mom would've worn in the 80's (no offense, Mom!). And I am now a middle-aged woman myself, but it still just seems to be too "matronly" for my liking. I know this type of shade is making it's comeback in polish - what's old is new again - but I can't wrap my head around this one. To me, it's pretty much flat out "mauve" or "dusty rose". I like either dramatic or super subtle (ie. True red, dark grays, dark purples, OR a basic french). The quality of the polish is fine... typical Essie. Goes on evenly, two coats gives me fine coverage, typical wear time, etc. So it's just a matter of taste here.

This is a really nice subdued but subtly sexy pink. I find it reads a touch nude in some lights, a touch mauve in others, but it always reads pink. There's something about this shade that feels sort of foxy 70s secretary to me for some reason. It's one of Essie's best-selling polishes.

I am not very skilled at applying nail polish so I don't really like applying more than one coat (I always seem to screw it up), but with this polish I can apply one coat and I find it appears completely opaque except for on very close inspection. On the topic of poor nail polish skills, this one applies really evenly, too.

I would definitely repurchase because it's almost everything I go for in a pink shade, except for its longevity. This polish will chip within a day of routine activities. A top coat is essential for this one.

on 4/23/2017 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Another Essie polish that I enjoy. This and lady like are my go to "nude" colors. I do find I need 3 coats to get a solid even look on my nails but that seems to be the norm for all the Essie polishes I own. It a nice delicate pink color however I feel lady like compliments my skin tone more. I top all my polishes with seche vite and get a good 4 days or so of wear. If I was actually proactive and did things like wear gloves while cleaning and washing dishes I'm sure it would last longer.

on 3/19/2017 3:29:00 PM

Although this color looks like a gorgeous light rose in the bottle, against my pale skin it comes across with an orange tint. The quality is fine - shiny, smooth, and overall typical Essie - but the shade isn't flattering, at least with my very light complexion. Also, it had a stronger chemical smell than usual from the brand. Your mileage may vary, of course.

on 8/27/2015 10:05:00 PM

My favourite Essie shade from the dozen I've tried, and I'm usually a red nail polish girl (I do love a few of the Essie reds)

Incredibly flattering on my lighter olive skin, it's an update on a pinky nude shade, not too light, not too dark. Most alleged 'nudes' are either too light and chalky, too brown, too sheer or too 'looking like liquid paper' etc and I've avoided them for years. This one? It's my Holy Goldilocks, aka 'just right' (:

Application is great, thin but smooth and buildably so, I usully do three with a top coat, I'm neglectful about base coats with lighter colours. Even without a base, this lasts a solid 6 days before chipping, provided I haven't been cleaning my house without gloves as usual.

on 7/19/2015 4:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

One of my favourite My Nails But Better Shades. A pale, neutral mauve cream, with good gloss. I can use one coat for a good coverage. I am NW 25

on 9/13/2014 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Essie is known to be a hit-or-miss brand, so I was a bit cautious about spending $8 on nail polish when there was a similar color from a lesser-hyped brand for only $4. I had a gift card, so I thought, "now's the time to try it out".

The nail polish smell was very strong. Normally I don't mind it but this one was intense.
The color was very easy to apply and dried completely in about three minutes. It isn't entirely opaque but still looked very good on my nails.
Later on I went and did some yard work and household chores. Even after that, there were no chips. This is only day two but so far it's going strong.

The color goes very well with my skin tone and I recommend it as a great rosy neutral for anyone with olive skin. This was worth the money.

on 8/27/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I like Essie polishes usually, but my brand new bottle was streaky resulting in chips the very first day. The color is nice, a very rosy shade that leans toward a neutral.

This is the perfect nude that compliments my skin tone amazingly! It's more of a pink / peach nude and works brilliantly for any season and any place. This colour is perfect for my rather conservative work place, where I don't want boring bare nails and can't wear anything too noticeable or bright. I love the name of the polish too!

Whilst Essie polish isn't as easy to apply as say, OPI, I did not find it too streaky / difficult to apply. I like the wide brush, it just makes it spread evenly. I used 2 coats and that was opaque enough. I used a base coat - this may have helped the polish apply better. It dried reasonably quickly and the room temperature was about 21 degrees c.

I will have to come back to comment on how long it lasted. Overall, I have a sneaky suspicion this may be my HG nail varnish colour!

Popular Polishes