Parissa Persian Cold Wax Hair Remover

Parissa  Persian Cold Wax Hair Remover
Persian Cold Wax Hair Remover

4.6

on 1/17/2017 12:31:00 PM

I'm doing a detailed review of this for use as a bikini/Brazilian wax - it doesn't actually say bikini on the box but it worked well for me. If you want a quick review, this is not it:

HEATING: The wax comes in a jar and is quite sticky and thick if you use it as is, but I decided to heat mine in the microwave. I don't have a warmer and from going back and forth to the microwave (it took me hours to do this as it was my first time) it may be worth investing in a heater. It took about 45 seconds the first time to get the consistency I wanted, but after the wax cools again, it takes much less time to melt to the same consistency. It took 15 seconds to get it back to a smooth texture after it cooled a second time.

STRIPS: Strips were great but much larger than needed for a bikini region. I ended up cutting the large pieces into 6 smaller strips (cut in half, then cut lengthwise into thirds), which allowed me to work in smaller, easier sections. The size is designed to be large enough for legs after all, so I definitely recommend cutting them into smaller pieces if you're doing a brazilian. You can also wash the strips with water to remove all wax and hair and use them later if you're on a budget.

APPLICATION: I like to take a warm wet cloth and hold it against skin for a minute (opens the pores and dissolves any previous wax). Then I pat dry and apply powder, usually talc, which is NOT provided in the kit. I used baby powder (not sure if it's wise to have scented products down there though, but it's all I had on hand). If you don't powder the area, the strips will not adhere to the hair properly. It didn't really work at all for me until I started using powder. And of course you must apply in direction of hair growth and pull in opposite direction.

PULLING: Make sure you have a good grip with a long enough overhanging strip to really give it your all. Hold the skin taut from top and bottom if you can. Then when you finally pull you have to do it QUICKLY with effort and power. You can't half-ass it or the strip wont come off completely and you'll be left with patches. Especially in the upper region where the hair is dense, I really had to throw my arm back and use force. Also you must try to pull as close as possible to the skin instead of pulling up and away from the skin.
Once you pull off a patch, you can use the same wax covered strip to go around and quickly grab at less dense areas of thinner hair, like the outermost areas furthest from the pubic region. The hair here is sparse and thin so it didn't really need it own full application if I used the leftover wax still on the strip.

PAIN: Of course it's painful, but it's really the anticipation and getting the courage to just rip that's difficult. Something that REALLY helped me: Listen to music while you rip. I watched TV, but for the actual strip removals I quickly put on a pump-up song and promised myself "When the chorus starts, or the beat kicks in or whatever, you HAVE to just rip" Sounds silly but it worked literally the very first time I did it (when I had been psyching myself out for 20 minutes prior too scared to pull). I used that trick for every pull afterwards.
Anyways, painful as **** at the upper regions, and just plain painful around the labia. But it only lasts 1-2 seconds and so worth the satisfaction of looking down at the hair covered strip afterwards.

RESULTS: I'm generally pleased with the results, with a smooth and relatively hairless region down there.
However there were some areas where the hair was so stubborn - Right around the clitoris, I applied and tried multiple times but was left with a small patch. Areas that were more moisture prone closer the labia and anus were also less effective - possibly because of the fact that the wax is water based, so use powder generously in these areas. I reduced 1 lippie for this reason, but will edit if it works with more experience.

CLEAN UP: One of the greatest things about this wax is that it is WATER SOLUBLE! This not only makes clean up a breeze, but the actual process so much more streamlined and tidy. I just need a wet cloth beside me to wipe my hands while I'm working (didn't have gloves) and the spatula if it had wax buildup. Or if some of the wax leaves a sticky residue in the area you're working, just press a warm cloth while it dissolves and you're good to go again. With oil based wax you're either oily or sticky while working, which just adds to an already painful process.

AFTER-CARE: I held a warm wet cloth in the area for a few minutes to dissolve all wax and soothe the skin. Parissa sells azulene oil specifically for use after waxing. It's meant to soothe skin and prevent ingrown hairs. Unfortunately it's not included in the cold wax kit, but sold separately in a spray bottle. I'm a little tender the next morning so maybe do this before bed/when you have some downtime so you can let the area breathe and relax while you sleep instead of rubbing against tight pants.

All in all I'm satisfied, and think I will be more satisfied with more experience.

Works fabulous but I heat it up . If you leave it cold, you can't spread it. I also like that it's water soluble, so if you drop it in your counter it will come off. The cotton strips are sold separately if you need extras than what's provided . My husband loves this product. He waxes his high cheeks below the eye area.

on 2/14/2016 8:46:00 PM

Beginner waxers!
this is the first wax i have used. I got so sick of shaving, I bought this to specifically use on my bikini area. I was sick of shaving and getting the annoying bumps and it would grow back so ridiculously fast. For reference-i'm irish. which means my hair is DARK & THICK. I wanted to get this to experiment with a brazillian wax at home (DIY kinda gal). I wont walk you step by step of all the methods I tried before I found the one that works for me. I used it on my leg but it would be patchy at best, a lot of the time the hair would break--maybe it's finding your own ideal length for your certain hair type? not sure.
by the time my first jar was completely gone i figured out how to use it..of course, so here it is! I took an old foundation brush for application bc i lost the wooden spatula that's given. after heating 20-30 seconds id brush some on a very small area of my bikini, put the strip down, rub it back and forth a bit and SLOWLY pull it off. not snail slowly but dont rip. when i ripped it off hardly any hair came out. but when i ripped it slower every single hair came out. I WAS AMAZED. i thought i was going to have to wax AND shave forever. I ordered another jar of it (around $10ish depending on where you got it) and am really excited to see if it keeps working on me/and try it on my legs!!
if you're looking for a wax to use at home, i'd definitely trying this one out. You get quite a few waxes with it. theres a little learning curve, but that's expected.
bonus: love the strips, let soak in water for a few minutes and dry--ready to use again!!

This is a great product. Wondering why I didn't find this sooner. I have waxed for several years in the parlour in India. When I moved to US, I bought an epilator. It is very painful and causes lots of ingrown hairs esp in my legs. So I wanted to wax again. But salons are quite expensive here. So tried this product. I was able to wax my full legs, arms, underarms and even my brows with such ease. It removed hairs almost completely, may be 1 or 2 hairs here n there. I cut the strips in half. It was the right size. Was able to wash and reuse the strips as well. Wax needed warming for about 40 seconds in microwave. But it was not too warm for the skin. Even tried my bikini area, but I found it painful. About quarter of the 8 oz jar is still left. For 14$, it is a steal.
I would recommend this product to friends !

on 8/17/2014 8:47:00 PM

The best hair remover ever! Very gentle to a skin, excellent results, almost no pain!

I have tried wax strips before, Oplica, Veet, Parissa hot wax, and others. Also made laser epilation.
This one I have found the best of all wax product I ever tried in my life- well, actually it's a sugar product and not a wax.

on 6/11/2014 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This wax is amazing, I highly recommend it. Not only is it affordable, but it actually removes hair (thin or course), NOT skin, effectively with LESS pain and LESS mess! It's also easy to clean up afterwards.

After reading the reviews here on MUA, I decided to purchase this cold wax and give it a try. I am glad I did, because it is far more effective and easy to use for at home waxing compare to other products I used (such as Sally Hansen).

I've been using it for over 2 years. I don't wax every month, only on special occasions or when I feel like a bikini wax is needed. Therefore I still have the jar I purchased a long time ago. I would say I probably had at least 10 bikini wax sessions with this jar. It still has about half of the product left.

What I love about it is that it is water soluble, I can wax, and toss the strips into a bowl of water as I go, and by the time I am done waxing, the wax on the strips have dissolve in the water. I can pick up the strips and rinse them under water, and dry them overnight, and viola! no mess no fuss. Also after I'm done waxing, my bikini area gets sticky, but with this wax, I can just wipe it with a damp towel, and I'm ready to go, no need to put oil to remove the wax residue.

As far as how I use it.. I find it very helpful if I spread the wax the OPPOSITE direction of my hair growth, apply the strip, rub the strip surface for a few seconds, and pull it off the SAME direction of my hair growth. This way I noticed it removes my hair more effectively and usually don't have too much stubborn hair left. I think I read about this trick on MUA and it does help!

It's definitely a must repurchase product for me.

on 3/1/2014 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Okay, I've only ever been going to salons to get bikini waxes done and it's always been a very painful and expensive experience. I also always ended up with ingrown hairs and irritation from the after lotions they would put on even though I'd ask them not to. I've been shaving for probably the last year because of this, and while it works ok it also causes a bunch of ingrown and it is the biggest pain ever to do on a regular basis. I essentially got fed up and since I'm going somewhere where I'll be on a beach for a week finally decided I should delve back into home waxing.

Now, the last at home wax I tried was the Nair cire divine peel off wax about five years ago. That was an -absolute- nightmare. It was extremely painful, and I was only waxing my legs. It was hard to stay warm, get it to an appropriate temperature to begin with, and to top it off it ripped off layers of skin. So needless to say I was very skeptical going and picking out one this time. The section of my local Walmart was very barren this time so there was limited selection to begin with. This stuff looked promising because it was "cold" wax, and for sensitive skin. So I picked it up ready to be disappointed again, however, I was pleasantly surprised!

I did have to pop it in the microwave for about 30s, but it didn't get overly hot and it wasn't too hard to spread. I will say, as a beginner there was a learning curve. If you spread it too thick, you'll just rip off excess wax. Overall, it wasn't too hard to spread and once I figured out how to spread it properly. It removed the hair fairly consistently, and was less painful than the salons. I did not experience any abnormal irritation (The skin did turn red - but that's expected) This kit is awesome because the wax is water soluble, so if you get it anywhere it's easy to clean, and the strips are reusable! It was about $14 and I foresee this lasting quite awhile.

If your sick of hot waxes, or a beginner give this a try!

on 12/31/2013 11:11:00 AM

Love this product! Convenient, fast and no mess. Used it on my underarms and side-burn area. Cleared the areas and there was only some slight/short-term redness. I previously haven't been able to wax my face because it would immediately break out in what resembles hives (large sore bumps for several days, and I've even tried cream and hard waxes), but I do not have that problem at all with Persian wax!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my go to facial hair removal product, and it will be for as long as they make it. I used to buy the "nads" brand, but couldn't find it in stores anymore, so I decided to try this in it's place. I wish I had just been using this all along! This is essentially the same product for MUCH cheaper. (cheaper still if you make this yourself, but I don't have the patience for that)

This product comes in a smaller container than the nads did, which I actually like because these types of products don't stay fresh forever. I found my nads was spoiling before I got through the jar. Not the case with this product. Much less waste in that regard, which I like. I'm not super crazy about the jar packaging but as long as you keep your hands and applicator clean, it's fine.

This is easy to apply, which I do with the provided applicator, out of the jar. I find my body heat warms the wax as I am applying, so I don't microwave this first, though you may prefer that method. This is also really easy to wash off from skin.

In action, this removes my hair fairly easily which is saying a lot, considering I have very thick / coarse, ethnic hair. Sometimes I have to go over a spot with a second strip, but it doesn't irritate or hurt my skin like other products have. I can say this removes the HAIR, not your face. Some 'waxes' can't say the same, as I learned the hard way.

Acne prone skins might want to patch test an area first. This can cause some blocked pores for me, even when I wash my face immediately after. (Removed one point for that) The skin is far too tender after hair removal to use any sort of proper acne treatment, BUT, I'm less likely to develop blemishes if I rinse/flush the area very, VERY well with tepid water. I also follow up with a good moisturizer, which I think is essential. (for me it's Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Gel, which I will eventually write a review for).

Hair regrowth for me is ridiculously fast, but this keeps my hair at bay (typically) for about a week and a half, to two weeks which is nice. That might not sound like very long, but for my rate of hair regrowth, it actually is. Obviously personal results will vary. ;)

Top Rated Hair Removal