Naked Naturals - Awapuhi & Lavender Color-Treated Hair Shampoo

3.8

After board-searching on the hair care board, I came across recommendations for this sulfate-free shampoo, readily available in most drugstores. I needed to find a readily-available, moderately priced replacement for the Creme of Nature sulfate-free shampoo that I had been using which was discontinued. This has really fit the bill!

Naked Naturals also make a companion conditioner, which I have not tried. This formula features moisturizing aloe vera and is supposed to be ideal for color treated or highlighted hair (but not just for those types of hair). These shampoos and conditioners also come in a couple of other varieties, such as Citrus and Keratin, Aloe Vera and Chamomile, and Shea Butter and Avacado, and are made by Continental Consumer Products of Auburn Hills, Michigan. The 12 oz. translucent plastic bottles feature a flip top cap and a little hang-card tied around the neck. The label states that it contains a natural plant protein, Keravis, that makes hair up to three times stronger. I purchased mine from Walgreens for $8, but this was the only variety that my Walgreens carries.

I am extremely impressed with this shampoo. It really is sulfate-free, not just SLS-free, and does not strip your hair. I also did not experience much breakage or fallout, either, from using this product, just as should be expected with a good sulfate-free shampoo. It has a decent amount of lather which is surprising, since most sulfate-free shampoos do not lather very much. However, unlike some shampoos, I find that I need to lather twice for the best results, but the total amount used each shampoo is still minimal with each shampooing. I have no problems with protein-containing hair products, but some others might, so please be aware that this shampoo contains plant protein. The formula is more transparent rather than opaque, and has a lovely scent. For me, the scent does not linger in my hair, which I like. I've found that most truly sulfate-free shampoos are over a dollar per ounce in cost, and this one is under a dollar per ounce, which I also really love! Currently, the 12 oz. bottle runs under $8, but every once in a great while, I find it BOGO at Walgreens. Even at full price, it's a great bargain.

In addition to being truly sulfate-free, these shampoos and conditioners havee:
No DEA or TEA
No Animal By-products
No Synthetic Fragrance
No Harsh Chemicals
and are:
PH-balanced
Not Tested on Animals

INGREDIENTS: Water (Agua), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Lauroamphacetate, Cocamidopropyl Bentaine, PEG 150 Distearate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG Propyl Silanetriol, Hydroxypropyl Bis Hydroxyethyl Dimonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Helianthus Annuus Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Extract, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, Polyquaternium 10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Fragrance

I've finally found a really good, readily available, truly sulfate-free and moderately priced shampoo! YAY!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hi, this is a review for their conditioner.. It works, and leaves my hair very silky. Very impressed, will keep using it. It's nice to find a cruelty-free conditioner that really works and doesn't cost a fortune!

Blech did not like this one at all! I first picked this over the smoothing because it is made for color treated hair which I have. But this one isn't that great. The lather is good but when I rinsed my hair it felt so dry! I had to use a good conditioner after. Will not re-buy this one.

ingredients:
Water - Aqua , Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate , Sodium Lauroamphoacetate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , PEG-150 Distearate , Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Hydroxypropyl BIS-Hydroxyethyldimonium Chloride , Phenoxyethanol , Helianthus Annuus Extract , Lavandula Angustifolia Extract , Glycine Soya Oil , Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract , Butylene Glycol , Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate , Cocamidopropylamine Oxide , Polyquaternium-10 , Tetrasodium EDTA , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Fragrance

I bought this last night completely on impulse. I used NOW Natural Citrus Moisture Shampoo up until today, when I tried this. I'm shocked with how soft and silky my hair feels, and it also has a new found shine after just one use. I can't stop touching it! Usually after getting out of the shower and blowdrying my hair, it feels pretty rough until I straighten it, despite all the moisturizing treatments I put it through. When I dried my hair after using this though, it felt so soft and smooth. I'm pretty sure this is my new HG shampoo.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This shampoo is just absolutely wonderful. I've been using it several months now and I can't say a single bad thing about it - my hair is consistently soft, shiny, incredibly silky, and my scalp is loving it too. My hair literally feels like it's 16 again (my face is jealous!) I use both this and the matching conditioner, and I finally feel like my search for the perfect shampoo is over. My hair feels clean, not stripped afterward - I can go several days without washing, and my hair still looks great (and no itchy scalp). The price is right too, I can get it at my local Eckerds drug store. What else can I say - its the perfect shampoo.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Did not like this at all. It cleans well, maybe a bit too well for colortreated hair, but it left my hair dull and a complete fuzz-bomb! I seldom have fuzzy hair, but this was awful! Not even curling irons would tame the fuzzyness. Won't use it up and would never rebuy.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I tried this about 18 months ago, when I was still coloring my hair. This is the first bottle of shampoo that I've ever actually thrown out -- it's that bad. Very drying, and my hair didn't feel clean after using it. It also seemed to strip some of the color. I didn't really care for the smell, and the texture is weird -- sort of like partially-set Jello.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am surprised of the negative reviews here. I used this after coloring my hair when my hair is super sensitive and hard to manage. First and foremost, it did a great job in cleansing. Second, it was super moisturizing. Third, I did not have any itching scalp, which is a huge improvement. I like this shampoo a lot because of its purity and I will definitely buy it again.

I liked this shampoo but not enough to stick with it. It cleaned my scalp well but didn't dry out my ends. My hair has changed to be even dryer, and I have since been seeking out even more moisturizing shampoos.

I've been experimenting with various Sulfate free shampoo options lately. This is by far my favorite. I've tried Organixx,L'Oreal Everpure, and the Vitamin line, too. I color my hair light ash brown and feel that this shampoo maintains the integrity of the color nicely. It really moisturizes my hair nicely, too. I didn't have any conditioner in the shower the other day and decided to see how my hair reacted to just using the shampoo and no conditioner. My hair dried nice and soft with no frizz. I have fine, wavy hair that can end up being very frizzy and dry looking under the wrong circumstances but this shampoo is wonderful for me. This shampoo is relatively "pure" in comparison to many other mainstream options. I dilute my shampoos 50-50 with water in a squirt bottle and shampoo my hair about twice a week. I used to be a daily shampooer but I've found that shampooing less frequently really benefits my hair and scalp.

Popular Shampoos