Obagi Zo Skin Health Oclipse Sunscreen and Primer SPF 30

No Image

4.1

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS Titanium Dioxide 10.2% Zinc Oxide 3.7% OTHER INGREDIENTS Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Melanin, Tribehenin, Calcium Behenate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-8, Dimethiconol, Alumina, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Methicone, Iron Oxides.

I started using ZO Skin Health and ZO Medical products created by Dr. Zien Obagi two years ago. I discovered this brand through a woman who is super wealthy and has flawless skin. She does get regular skin treatments with the esthetician from Dr. Obagi office. I worked up the nerve to ask her about what she uses for her skin and this is the brand.

I did some research and learned that Dr. Obagi was upset that the board wanted to sell the Obagi line on-line and he didn't want that. He said that the products are not okay for the people to decide what to use and not have it monitered by professionals. He said that he discovered that using his skin bleaching products on regular basis is not safe. He left and I think there was some law suits, but in the meantime, he created a new line, newly formulated according to his discoveries. He believe retinoids, cutting back on moisturizers, vitamin C, peptides and acids is the way to go. Recently, he talk about how sebum is not healthy for the skin.

I find that I am sensitive to the sun and maybe allergic to it. During the summer season, I am outdoors a lot and spend a lot of time at the cottage, beach and hiking. Chemical sunscreen doesn't seem to protect my skin as much as I hoped for. Now, I search for physical and mineral protection.

This primer & sunscreen goes on very smooth, light and silicony. It appears that the formulation is supposed to compliment the other products you may be using from ZO. Due to the fact that he doesn't believe on regular/daily moisturizing because it weakens the skin (create sagging). Using regular retinol, can dry up the skin, so this primer & sunscreen does create a perfect balance.

I have normal to dry skin with issues of eczema on my feet and legs. I suspect I may have some on my chest. This primer & sunscreen doesn't irritate, bother or create acne problems. Using his brand, I wash, scrub, tone and then use any specialized products for my skin. The primer & sunscreen is put on top and reapplied every hour or two.

I am very pale and the tint is too dark. Dr. Obagi arguement that there has to be a tint because it requires natural melamin that people of color have and the paler you are, the less you have of it. There is titanium dioxide to provide broad-spectrum sun protection, has antioxidants to stimulate the collagen so that it can tighten and firm skin, diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

I've heard that his wife barely wear makeup unless there is an occasion and wear this primer & sunscreen on daily basis.

I don't have an issue with the packaging. No issue with the pump and there is no leftover of the product when you reach the end. If you break up the packaging, you will see that it is super cleaned out.

The really bad issue that I have is the price. I would expect more of the product for what you pay for. The melamin is from fish and apparently the cost to retrieve it is costly.

I do use his ZO Medical SPF 50 sun protection. It is formulated for post operation. It is thick, not elegant but work. It does work and protect.

I do buy other brands of sun protection, especially in the summer when I am out more, including the Obagi line. I don't have a choice because in the summer with the primer & sunscreen, I would go through one bottle a day when I have to reapply one gram every hour. Too bad this quality of sun protection is not sold in larger size to be used on the body.

I can guaranty that the quality of this ZO sun protection is excellent. I never got a sun burn and I know that I am getting the best of the best sun protection. I've noted that the other reviewers never talked about how well it worked to protect their skin. This really works! The primer is only to make it feel nice and easy to keep layering on top.

on 8/18/2016 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I usually don't use primers, but try to find matte sunscreens, because my skin can't handle too many layers of product. I tried LRP Anthelios, Coola Matte, Clarins, Daylong, Clinique Sheer City Block, Avene Hydrance light, Skinceuticals Mineral, and many others for years. Some of them were fine, but had no oil control, matte ones were too siliconey, some stuck to dry patches, and none of them hold my makeup more than 6 hours. This primer though, it almost does everything well. Has a little tint but it disappears, a little silicone feeling but nothing disturbing and makeup goes smooth, has ingredients to nourish your skin and SPF 30. And kept me forever matte. I'll never not be without it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first review ever, but I just had to write something about this magical stuff...

I have very oily skin and have tried everything under the sun (I tell no lie...) to be able to control the constant shine all over my face. I can put make up on in the morning, and after about two hours my face is a complete mess, and I have to blot with blotting paper. Throughout the day. It's THAT bad.

This primer/sunscreen however, is amazing! I haven't used one sheet of blotting paper yet, and I bought it a week ago. It's absolutely brilliant...
In the mornings I use Obagi ZO facial cleanser, scrub and pads, then put this stuff on and finish off with a pressed mineral foundation. And voila! My face stays on all day, till I wash it off at night. This is the best primer I have ever tried, and my face looks fresh, colour is corrected and skin is tightened, although hydrated. Yey!

This stuff is quite expensive though. But I only use 1,5 pumps so I think it'll last for a good while. The pump is hygenic and it controls how much of the product you use. Which is great, but not when it comes near the end. But I reckon I'll just smash the container and scrape out whatevers left, cause it's that good, and because of the price, I'm not gonna let anything go to waste!

Finally, I would just like to add that this should be perfect for people with dry skin too! Just use moisturiser under the primer.

So ladies (and/or gents), this stuff is worth every penny. Go for it, you will NOT regret it!

:-)

----------- Right.... After using this for a little while, I got really disappointed.

It actually does little to nothing for me now, after 3 months. My skin is back to it's REALLY oily condition, and I blot as much as I used to before I started using this primer. I don't know why it suddenly stopped working on my skin, but I'm now back to searching for that "perfect primer for me" again.

After this I would say save your money and go for a primer which actually works for more than a couple of months...

on 2/6/2014 4:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG face product.I can’t begin to talk about my hunt for the perfect sunscreen for my very oily and slightly uneven skin.
I’ll start out with the look and texture of the product. It is a tinted/pigmented product and after reading about it I found it contains natural melanin. I find that it looks natural on anyone and blends in seamlessly into any skin tone without looking grey or ashy. I have used BB creams, tinted moisturizers with spf and even oil controlling primers with sunscreen to protect my extremely sensitive skin. This not only evens out my skin tone and brightens it instantly but also keeps my skin slightly matte. On top of that I get SPF 30 protection.
I will use this forever.

on 8/5/2013 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this sunscreen. Finally, something that doesn't make my face oily. It goes on so smoothly. I use one pump to cover my entire face. Like everyone else, the only things I don't like are the price and the pump bottle.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this stuff! It performs nicely in wahsington dc humidity. I use a mineral powder in top, spray to set and am good for the day. Not a fan of the pump however. At that price, I want every drop

on 5/17/2011 11:08:00 PM

Living in a tropical climate with hot and humid weather this sunscreen/primer is simply great. It's my favorite sunscreen/primer product by far. I took off 1 lippy for the high price & pump container (wasteful because I can't get to more than 90-95% of the product).

First, it's dual purpose (sunscreen & primer) and great at both functions so you don't need to buy 2 products. My Smashbox primer with sunscreen feels greasy and sticky after a while so I decided to try this one out. It's slightly tinted and goes on oh so smoothly leaving a matte finish for hours which is a feat in this climate. It's also non-irritating and doesn't have an ashy finish.

I wish the price was a lot more affordable and change the packaging to a tube so I can use all the product. Otherwise I'm happy to buy this again. I'm already on my second tube anyway.

on 9/23/2010 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

What a waste! $65 for 1 oz??? I'll admit I like that this is a tinted mineral sunscreen, but for the price it is not, I repeat NOT the HG - and you don't even get very much. It's not the product itself that's the problem -that's the reason it barely rates a 2 - it's the value for the money. I would use two pump fulls in the morning, which was barely enough to cover my face and three months later, it was all gone. We're talking a sunscreen! For $65 it should've lasted six months at least! And on top of that, the pump mechanism was faulty, which made it difficult to get the product out. I can't believe what a sucker I was. Anyone who buys this has serious disposable cash to burn.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this as much if not more than Shiseido Ultimate Protection Cream 55. Unlike SUP, ZO is an absolute pleasure to use. It has no scent and keeps my makeup fresh all day without blotting. You don't need a special oil to remove it. The tint is a big plus--if you have good skin this can serve as a very sheer tinted moisturizer. I'm NC 37 and it blends perfectly with my skin. I'm oily, so I don't want a sunscreen that moisturizes too much. Dr. Obagi doesn't believe in moisturizers, (he believes that with proper care, skin will hydrate itself) so none of his face products are particularly hydrating.

As for the pump--I haven't finished the bottle yet, but I take a hammer to pump products like this. Believe me, what goes in MUST come out, and I WANT my $65 worth of product . Usually, by gently tapping with a hammer you can disconnect the neck of the bottle. If there's any product left, you can transfer it to a small, container that you have cleaned with alcohol.

on 4/12/2010 11:24:00 PM

This is a lifesaver. I was diagnosed with a sun allergy a few years ago, worse yet, I'm allergic to chemical sunscreens, so alas my quest began to find a mineral sunscreen that could last all year round and not feel gross on my skin as I have to wear it every single day. This product is amazing. It's a fantastic primer and shields the sun. I'm glad I finally found it. I am almost through with my first bottle. My only complaint is the container. I can't help but think when it no longer pumps anything out, there is still plenty inside, but there is no way to get it.