Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

Me rocking Pravana Vivids Violet Hair ColorPravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

on 6/22/2015 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This product is awesome! I love how long it lasts. It takes forever to fade which is s good thing if you plan on leaving your hair purple. It can be diluted with conditioner so the product lasts long. It does bleed like crazy though. Be careful it will stain everything it touches.

This is my go to when I want purple hair. For me it really sticks to my hair and I don't have to do nearly as many touch ups as I did when I used Manic Panic, Beyond The Zone etc. The color is gorgeous (see my profile pic). Now the downside... it stains! EVERYTHING ha ha. I have to use Scrubbing Bubbles to get it off my bathtub. It also leaves your pillowcases, towels and your fingers purple. Now I am not stupid. I wear gloves when I dye my hair. I mean after its dyed and has been washed a few times.... you run your fingers through your hair .. your hands and nails turn purple. Which I guess is why this stuff lasts so long in your hair. It's pretty powerful. I am going to try Arctic Fox Purple Rain to see if I can get the same staying power without all the mess. If not I will be back to dealing with the mess as touch ups are a pain.

on 11/14/2013 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've not purchased this dye. I've only had it applied to my hair professionally. So I can't make a statement about the packaging or price.
But I can talk about the product itself.
I wanted to love it. I really did. The color is stunning and I'm sure it works perfectly for some people.
But I don't love it. Because it fades mercilessly on my hair. I am the type that has to wash my hair daily, as I have quite oily skin/scalp. But I wash with cool water and sulfate-free soap (Dr. Bronner's, which is lovely), and I've not encountered this issue with any other dye.
Within only a couple days, the bleached blond hair underneath shows through in large patches, and the areas where the color remains fade to a dull, silvery lavender which is not flattering against my complexion. The fade is so uneven and patchy that it makes me look as though I have bald patches where my hair is short. Not a good look.
Again, it might just be me. I don't know. But the great experiences I've had with other dyes compared to the utter nightmare that I've encountered with this dye makes me wonder if it might actually be the product.

on 10/2/2013 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Alright. Originally I bought these because of the rave reviews. I looked up a store that carried them and bought them in Red and Violet. The goal was to mix and make a fuchsia. The color line was a little slim, and they were out of magenta at the store or I would have tried to mix that in too. They were like $8 each I think, which isn't bad for thick color-dye. (Most are runny and in small containers) The metal tube is not only great for storage and practical, it also makes sure that you can get all the product out. The first time, I dyed over dark/lightly bleached hair. I felt it was super dark. I also felt it faded in a regular time, nothing special compared to Adore which I usually use, and its cheaper with more selection. However, I just did it again on bleached hair and the color shows way more, obviously. I diluted it heavily with conditioner each time, which people say makes it last less long, but it's so thick and strong you really can dilute it and have the tube go a loonnng way while still saturating the hair. I use the Tressume Naturals silicone free conditioner, I believe in Aloe and Avocado but any works. It's about $5 a liter or so and works well. I don't get patches like I do with some other conditioners. I used many different brands and colors, but the two Pravanas were the main colors I was using and I still have 3/4 of the red and almost all of the purple tube LEFT. (My hair is waist length, and the color ratio I needed was more red to purple, like 5:1). The color came out gorgeous. I had done a strand test of the same mix in another brand (Adore) right next to the Pravana strand test and at first you couldn't really tell which was which. The Pravana was slightly darker and more saturated, while the other was a little transparent to the blonde. Then after the first wash, the Pravana became jewel toned and the other one was even more washed out. Now I originally bought Pravana because of the lasting power, but was happy with Adore in general especially on bleached hair (which always holds color more). But now I see why people rave about Pravana. If you want bright hair, you will definitely want to dilute the dye or you will get a dark shade until it fades some. If that is what you are going for, then Pravana will deliver. No need to add black or deeper shades. While in the store I thought the swatches were way off (well, they aren't great, a few were kinda funny/off color) but they are shown as very dark, I suppose that's accurate to some degree. I would still suggest checking google and other sites for customer photos to get a better idea of the color in application. I even mixed some of it with other brands and it came out fine. Pravana seems to eat all the other colors that are weaker, so I'm not sure if it's noticeable, but it's doable. My hair doesn't feel damaged in the slightest. I also use Raw deep purple which is another super thick dye but more drying and by far not as pretty as the Pravana Violet. I will definitely buy these again. I still like the range I get from Adore but if you need a standard bright color or want to even use it as a starting point to mix in other brands, you can do so with the Pravana Vivids. I also mix with a pastel or neon which changes the color only a little because the purple is so strong but to mix it up/dilute.

Update: After dying for a few years, I pretty much use Pravana exclusively, and think Adore is a bit pale in comparison. It depends on the color, but Pravana definitively lasts longer. I've also tried many different shades. I think the vivids are great, but unless you have white hair, the pastels and neons just don't work. But they are surprisingly good if you can get it. The neon blue was a great diluter, for example, and super bright alone.

on 5/13/2013 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Chromasilk vivds are great and are pretty cheap for the amount of dye you get. The color lasts a long time and is very vibrant. It also really conditions your hair so your hair feels even healthier than before. Its all around great except I think you can only buy it in stores with a cosmetology licence. I always got it from my cousin who works at a beauty school, but you can also buy it online.