Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

Me rocking Pravana Vivids Violet Hair ColorPravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

on 4/30/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This is my MOST FAVORITE DYE OF ALL TIME! I went to a salon a while back (I stopped going because it got too expensive) and he used this on my hair and I was absolutely in love. Compliments left and right everywhere I went. I did a black to violet balayage and it has honestly been my favorite color yet. It stayed in for a really long time (a little over a month, it faded to sort of a sunset color which I also found acceptable) but it does definitely stain. It took me forever to scrub the purple out of my tub after the first shampoo. But it's soooo worth it! As long as you don't care a whole lot about keeping your pillow cases and bathtub pristine, lol. I will be purchasing this to touch up my ends and I highly recommend it to others.

NOTE: I do have a naturally drier hair type and I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, so if you wash your hair daily this will fade faster than the month it took for mine to fade.

on 10/2/2013 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Alright. Originally I bought these because of the rave reviews. I looked up a store that carried them and bought them in Red and Violet. The goal was to mix and make a fuchsia. The color line was a little slim, and they were out of magenta at the store or I would have tried to mix that in too. They were like $8 each I think, which isn't bad for thick color-dye. (Most are runny and in small containers) The metal tube is not only great for storage and practical, it also makes sure that you can get all the product out. The first time, I dyed over dark/lightly bleached hair. I felt it was super dark. I also felt it faded in a regular time, nothing special compared to Adore which I usually use, and its cheaper with more selection. However, I just did it again on bleached hair and the color shows way more, obviously. I diluted it heavily with conditioner each time, which people say makes it last less long, but it's so thick and strong you really can dilute it and have the tube go a loonnng way while still saturating the hair. I use the Tressume Naturals silicone free conditioner, I believe in Aloe and Avocado but any works. It's about $5 a liter or so and works well. I don't get patches like I do with some other conditioners. I used many different brands and colors, but the two Pravanas were the main colors I was using and I still have 3/4 of the red and almost all of the purple tube LEFT. (My hair is waist length, and the color ratio I needed was more red to purple, like 5:1). The color came out gorgeous. I had done a strand test of the same mix in another brand (Adore) right next to the Pravana strand test and at first you couldn't really tell which was which. The Pravana was slightly darker and more saturated, while the other was a little transparent to the blonde. Then after the first wash, the Pravana became jewel toned and the other one was even more washed out. Now I originally bought Pravana because of the lasting power, but was happy with Adore in general especially on bleached hair (which always holds color more). But now I see why people rave about Pravana. If you want bright hair, you will definitely want to dilute the dye or you will get a dark shade until it fades some. If that is what you are going for, then Pravana will deliver. No need to add black or deeper shades. While in the store I thought the swatches were way off (well, they aren't great, a few were kinda funny/off color) but they are shown as very dark, I suppose that's accurate to some degree. I would still suggest checking google and other sites for customer photos to get a better idea of the color in application. I even mixed some of it with other brands and it came out fine. Pravana seems to eat all the other colors that are weaker, so I'm not sure if it's noticeable, but it's doable. My hair doesn't feel damaged in the slightest. I also use Raw deep purple which is another super thick dye but more drying and by far not as pretty as the Pravana Violet. I will definitely buy these again. I still like the range I get from Adore but if you need a standard bright color or want to even use it as a starting point to mix in other brands, you can do so with the Pravana Vivids. I also mix with a pastel or neon which changes the color only a little because the purple is so strong but to mix it up/dilute.

Update: After dying for a few years, I pretty much use Pravana exclusively, and think Adore is a bit pale in comparison. It depends on the color, but Pravana definitively lasts longer. I've also tried many different shades. I think the vivids are great, but unless you have white hair, the pastels and neons just don't work. But they are surprisingly good if you can get it. The neon blue was a great diluter, for example, and super bright alone.

lets just say my stylist put this in my hair a little over a month ago and there's still some strands that are still as bright as when I first dyed it. yeah I think I recommend this over manic panic and whatever the hell else is out there. yay for pravanna!