Sephora Collection Hydrating & Smoothing Foundation

Sephora Collection Hydrating & Smoothing Foundation

2.9

Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecanol, Isocetyl Stearate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Stearate, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Nylon-12, Triethanolamine, Acrylates Copolymer, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Silica, Xanthan Gum, Tocopherol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Methylparaben, Cetyl Alcohol, Parfum (Fragrance), Trisodium EDTA, Cellulose Gum, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Limonene , Sodium Hyaluronate, Geraniol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citronellol , Hydroxycitronellal , Benzyl Benzoate, Alumina( /-): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 5/6/2013 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I'm surprised this foundation has so many bad reviews, I loved this foundation for years. I especially loved it for the color match, as D35 is precisely my skin color. No other foundation has ever matched me as well as D35. It is a very yellow brown, that I think would suit all skintones with yellow undertones. MAC NC44 is a tiny bit too dark for me, but NC42 is too light for me. I currently use MAC NC44, but in comparison with Sephora D35, MAC is slightly orangy or not yellow enough even though NC is generally a yellow line.

This is quite a "thick" (not cakey) foundation, that blends well IMO. It has medium coverage, but I always used Sephora's Mineral Powder in D35 as well and that combination would give me full coverage. When I had better skin, I used to blend this foundation with Clarins Beauty Flash Balm and apply it with my fingers and it would give me a very natural result.

The only reason I don't like this anymore is because it is starting to break me out. I used this without problems for 2-3 years though, and I still think it's great a mid range brand like Sephora has such a great color range. I don't know why it's breaking me out, but I have discontinued use and might try it again in a few months.

on 4/3/2013 6:12:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the worst foundation that i have ever used. It looked greasy after probably 1 hour. I have combination skin. It doesn't give me enough coverage also. Really bad!!!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is a hydrating foundation, so it is intended for dry skin, that needs extra moisture throughout the day. My skin is so dry right now that it burns (I'm using Retin-A), and it is so flaky - any rubbing or touching with fingers or a brush causes extra flakes. Having explained just how dry my skin is - I still got shiny around my nose with this product. However, it felt extremely comfortable on the rest of my face, something I have had a hard time finding. The colors run a bit dark/reddish/orange, but I got a close enough match. I should note that I would not use this everyday, only when my face is too dry to use anything else, and I don't need something longwearing.

I would not recommend this for anyone with Normal, Combination, or Oily skin. It would be great for Dry (not combination) and Mature+Dry skin types.

Oh yea, and for people who have a thing for pumps - this has one

on 12/11/2011 3:01:00 PM

It has good coverage on me and applies easily when used with sephora's base/primer. However I got this in summer and now its a tad too dark for me. Also it kind of looks orangey when I swatch it on my hand, but on my face after powder and everything looks alright.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This felt like Sephora's attempt to make Mac Face and Body. It had a very similar finish, albeit less coverage, once I put it on. Because it is so sheer, it didn't matter too much that I had a shade darker that I needed. But I did find it odd that the R formula, designated as "pink" or "NW", was very yellow. Just not a good buy.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I always look for a foundation that gives me a natural look, But this one made my face look very oily and just messy. . .Not very natural at all. .

on 6/23/2011 10:45:00 PM

I got this, like many of the other recent reviewers, on sale at Sephora. Do be warned; this is a hydrating, dewy foundation, so if you have oily skin, its intended function is somewhat lost on you.

I got this in the lightest, un-rosy shade, D20, which is a bit dark and yellow for me. I found the yellow undertones in the foundation to be a bit too pronounced to look like a truly natural skin tone and imparts a bit of a fake tan look if I go too heavy.

Like most "hydrating" foundations, it goes on feeling a bit tacky and you need to work it into the skin to get even coverage. It definitely feels like it's giving my skin more moisture (or at least not taking any out). I'd consider the coverage light and a half, and I never really "feel it" on my face. It doesn't look cakey or have an obvious texture.

My biggest gripe with this foundation is that it does little to even skin tone. It just tints the "normal" parts of my face yellow and does nothing to the red or dark areas. The result is quite spotty. After about 8 hours I can see it clinging to dry patches, redness showing through, and sparse, orange-ish coverage.

This isn't my favorite foundation, but it's my best option for now when I have a little tan or my skin feels extra dry.

on 3/12/2011 12:17:00 PM

I do have normal skin in the beginning of the day, but once I come home from an 7 hour day of school, my face starts feeling oily with this foundation. I do have P.E at school outside, so maybe this is the cause of it feeling so oily. When it starts to oil up, I just rub it off during the day. So the use of the foundation? Nothing. But, overall, if I wasn't going to school, it would be a good foundation, a bit oily at the end of the day on my cheeks, but I can live with that. I believe Sephora is discontinuing this product, so I got it for 8$.

on 3/4/2011 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

i have mixed feelings for this foundation.i like the fact that its not drying but on the other hand there is almost no coverage!i don't think i'll buy it again...

on 3/3/2011 2:49:00 PM

There are alot of things I don't like about this foundation... It seems to emphasize any dry patches I have, and I find it difficult to blend without looking streaky. The staying power is mediocre at best, so you will absolutely need a setting powder. On the other hand, they have a wide variety of colors with undertones easily identifiable (D=yellow R=Red) so I was able to find a great color match. The coverage is relatively sheer but does a good job canceling out most redness...and it doesn't seem to aggravate my acne. For those two reasons I will likely purchase this foundation again despite it's shortcomings. I'm still working on my skincare routine, so hopefully once my skin is in better shape this will work better for me.