Palmer's Cocoa Butter Stick

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Stick

4.5

Price: $

Price: $

I love how it smells like white chocolate but this is not as safe as it seems. It contained chemical sunscreen - Octinoxate if I remember rightly - and upon application my skin had an unbearable itch, which even after wiping it off it continued to itch and I really felt like scratching my lips off. No go here. Watch out if you're allergic.

on 9/2/2010 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Wow I thought I was the only person on the planet that used this as a lip balm! Glad to know that other people use this too. It's basically my one and only chapstick and I've been using it for at least 7 years now. It is incredibly moisturizing, NOT waxy at all (some chapsticks are pretty much a stick of wax and do nothing for the lips), makes my lips pinker, and my husband is not allergic (like he is with many of my lip products). Pretty much everyone I know has seen me using this and make fun of me b/c of my "glue stick" chapstick but I don't care, it's the only thing that works. I do wish it lasted longer on the lips though. I also use this for dry spots on my skin and to fade scars. It's very soothing. p.s. they recently released a small chapstick-size version of this product, but I'm not sure if all of the ingredients are the same. I was using it for about a week but lost it (I think my cat had something to do with that) so I can't say if it's exactly the same.
EDIT: The ingredients in the small version of this are not the same. It has an added wax and some other stuff, so I'll stick to the original.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Price: This huge tube cost me about $2.50 at Wal-Mart, and the size makes this an absolute STEAL.

Convenience: I went to Target, CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart before I finally found it. The first three stores carry Palmer's products, but apparently not the stick in my area. I wish it was at the Target near my house, but the Wal-Mart isn't far.

Packaging: I am a loyal fan of balms in stick form. I refuse to even try pots or tins because they are inconvenient, unsanitary, and a pain in the BUTT. The stick swivels up and down just fine. The size is large - not pocket size in my opinion, but I carry a purse or at least have large pockets (winter coat). If it came in smaller size, I'd go with that (are you listening Palmer's?).

As a lip balm: Goes on smooth, does not form that white line of gunk just inside the lip, doesn't cause a whitish film on the lips, feels smooth without being waxy or worse, thin and oily. Very soothing. Imparts a subtle sheen, but not glossy, and it decreases as it sinks in. Leaves very soft lips, and I am picky about balms in this department. If I don't wear it for a few hours, I'm not left with dried out parched lips. It doesn't cause dependence.

Other uses: The minute I opened this, I scratched my thumb with a fingernail (2 inch welt), and I could see it already rising into a big red raised line. Well, I ran the stick down the line, and now 4 hours later I have no trace of the scratch (you know it would have taken a couple days to go away, too). The pain was gone almost immediately.

Other: The smell is absolutely DIVINE. I uncap it just to smell it. It smells like cocoa (duh). It is heaven for the olfactory system. And, possibly one of my biggest turn-ons: NO TASTE! No chemicalls, and THANK GOD no fake flavoring!! I'm not grossed out if I happen to lick my lips or eat something that gets the balm on it.

I'll be repurchasing, especially if this develops into a multi-purpose product.

on 2/11/2012 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I like this a lot. You get a lot of product for only $2 and its quite moisturizing. Its a bit slippery and more waxy than i'm used to but its still sinks in well enough. I like the light cocao scent/taste.

Tip: for those who are self conscious about the glue stick pkg. Cut off a chunk with a clean knife. Put chunk into a silver spoon. Hold high above a candle flame until it slowly melts. The slower the melt the better results you'll get when it re-solidifies. Poor melted product into a clean/sanitized lip balm pot or "free sample" jar. Let it re-solidify at room temperature. As long as you don't mind sticking your fingers into the jar, you've got your fav low budget lip balm in a classier pkg!

on 3/16/2011 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update 1/5/12,
Still love this! This summer I got a massive tub of Palmer Cocoa Butter (I find it works well over just applied dark self tanners, to help them blend and not make me look dipped haphazardly in paint!) but still missed this stick despite having all that product. As I state in the review below, the tub variety is simply not the same. The formulation in stick is so lovely on lips, so comforting, soothing and healing. Try it!

I've used this forever and took for granted that I must have reviewed it at some point. First point, this is not the same as the smaller, but very similar looking, lip balm from the brand, nor is it even the same as the little tubs in trial size (though they are closest, they're creamier). I make the distinctions because this is the one to try, at least first. Here's why, for me this is a first rate lip moisturizer. It's also a great multi use product, great for traveling because its good for cuticles, skin anywhere, especially heels, elbows, even mild enough for facial use. If you forgot a product and need something to smooth some frizz, rub on your palms.

But as a lip product this is fantastic. I have a medical condition causing my moisture glands to die off. Many have dry skin/lips, I know dryness in a way most cannot. Its not a contest I want to win, but it does make me feel qualified to say what works for dry/sensitive, reactive skin since I've dealt with this for 15 years now. For those reasons I like a lip balm that is very moisturizing, long lasting (through the night is helpful for me), beneficial to my lips, the smell/taste if any, must be more than tolerable. This fits the bill in many ways, I love the diameter, I find very thin products like Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers and Soft lips, nice, but too thin in diameter, and though I have avg sized lips, they're too thin for me to get good coverage in one swipe. This feels great on, smooth, soft, yet the stick will last ages and ages, despite swiping it on often. The scent is the usual one for the brand but not as sweet. I love their scent but realize some find it cloying. I find it most natural of the ones in their brand I've tried.

I love this so for using at home, but need a lip balm with spf to wear under my l/g, and was thrilled when I saw the same packaging in a mini but with spf. I could not use it, somehow that stung my lips, tried it over and over thinking it was something else, sadly, no. Could just be me and my reactive skin. I also tried (ran to try!) the other version with a chocolately mint scent, but it neither smelled nor tasted right, though I have to believe I possibly got an old, rancid one as it was so off from others descriptions.

Its a great idea to have two of these which I do, one exclusively for your lips, and one for use elsewhere. This heals my lips when they have gotten chapped (from wind, sun or cold, exposure), and also very healing for the corners of my mouth which crack from time to time. A few days use on cuticles and they look much better too.

Very few products, especially for lips (and given my condition imagine how many lip balms I go through?!) that I use right to the end, I mean struggling to get the last bits out of the packaging cause I didn't have a back up! These I've used till not a drop is left. This is a cheap, and very useful, thrill, try it.

I originally purchased the Palmers Cocoa Butter Lip Balm SPF 15 with no success as it irritated/burned my lips like crazy...so I saw the reviews for this cocoa butter stick and decided to try this one out instead.

First off, the tube is HUGE in comparison to the SPF 15 lip balm tube! This honestly looks like a chunky glue stick (it's .14g/.5oz). I personally don't find it a pain to carry around, it doesn't take up too much room. A complaint I have is that whilst the swivel stick works fine for pushing the stick up, when I try to wind it back down, it just doesn't move. I end up having to push it down with my lips! So packaging could be improved.

Another thing I love is the smell...it smells like the cream version of cocoa butter...so yummy! It's tasteless so doesn't leave a nasty chemical taste in your mouth like some lip products do.

The ingredients listed are: cocoa extract, mineral oil, microcrystalline wax, cocoa seed butter, tocopheryl acetate, fragrance, benzyl alcohol, carotene.

Mineral oil causes my skin to break out like crazy, so I try to avoid getting this balm over the outlining of my lips otherwise I get spots around them. Other than that, the ingredients haven't irritated my lips like the SPF 15 lipbalm did, so I'm quite happy with them. This also has the highest concentration of cocoa in it which is great - the SPF 15 lipbalm didn't have cocoa named until near the end of the list, and this cocoa butter stick has cocoa as the main ingredient.

This really does make my lips feel smooth and soft with no obvious shine, just a very subtle sheen that makes my lips look moisturised and juicy! I have full lips (think Angelina Jolie but less pouty!) and I don't find the stick to be too big for my lips - I love that I can do 1 swipe and have my entire lips covered if I choose to put it on that way. Very convineant, and you can also use it for dry rough skin. It's great for using before applying lipstick too.

I'd definately repurchase, HG lip balm!

UPDATE:- Added another lippy, I love this stuff! My lips have never felt so moisturised and soft. I love the way this makes them look...and it doesn't get all over the place and feel icky when you kiss your boyfriend or anything which is always a bonus ;)

Amazing product for lips! This is the only thing I use on my lips. Nothing else softens and helps chapped lips like this. All the other chapsticks out there are super waxy, I feel like all they are made of is wax. I'm baffeled that other companies don't take a note from this product & make them soft and ditch the waxyness.
The formula is super soft yet thick enough to use as a chapstick, it glides on beautifully, and lasts a while, yet absorbs nicely. Makes my lips super soft, smoothes the appearance, hydrates like crazy, and prevents/erases chapped, dry, cracked lips.
The smell is great and it tastes good. I love that it's nice and thick & round, most chapstick are too small for lips, not many out there are big like this. The price is fair for the amount.

on 12/7/2015 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I like this a lot. I don't like to have my hands completely covered in lotion during the day, so it's nice to just pick spots to cover. I like how multi tasking it is. I usually don't find lotions to be greasy when most would, but this is wayyy greasy. I am at a keyboard all day at work though so not really a problem. I have gotten to really test it when my Eucerin dried out my skin (see my review) and the past two days I went from alligator bright red skin to I would say 85% normal at least. My hands DoD sting, but not that badly, if that's an issue for you. I personally don't mind it. the cocoa sent also is nice. Reminds me of baking cake or cookies, lol. I like the diameter of the stick. Easy to cover, but not huge, very portable in just a pocket. I'm curious why there's really nothing else on the market like this that I've seen.

on 1/22/2014 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Great multi-purpose product and convenient to travel with.

I use this for dry lips, cuticles, under the eyes, etc, basically dry skin anywhere! I like the cocoa butter scent too. It's cheap and it works, I keep one in my purse, at work and some floating around at home.

I don't think this says anywhere on the package that it is a lip product.
I've used this for years, but never on my lips. I think it is just a more convenient and portable form to carry around with you.
I have lived in the high desert in CA for 6 years (moving in 3 weeks, yay!!) and I have tried so many prescription and OTC creams that I truly believe there is nothing left to try.
This is the ONLY product that works on my hands.
Maybe if those of you who used it on their lips tried it on hands or feet you would really love it.
Just my 2 cents!