Soleo Organics SPF 30+

3.1

Active ingredient: Zinc oxide 22.3% Grapeseed oil, macadamia oil, green tea extract, roman chamomile extract, sunflower oil, capric/caprylic triglycerides (plant oil derived), beeswax, theobroma butter, candelilla wax, lecithin, vegetable oils, cucumber extract, tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I received this product as a gift after buying products from Saffron Rouge. This sunscreen is greasy and hard to apply. It separates and the funny-looking tube is hard to knead to avoid separation. I ended up throwing away the bottle.
So far I find that Green beaver's sunscreen is better; though still greasy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have acne prone skin and this product is an absolute gift. It doesn't break me out and if/when I wear mineral power over it, it's perfection.

Update, this is too slippery compared with other options like Seventh Generation baby SPF 30.

I'm wearing this today and I had the thought that if this was the only sunscreen available, I would prefer sun damage. It's very greasy and uncomfortable. I did apply 1/4 tsp to the face and 1/4 tsp to neck/chest. I think this product might be ok if a very small amount is used. However, doing that would give very little sun protection, and that's why I bought this. This also made my chest itch. I'm giving it two stars because of the following. It's very waterproof and this might have a different texture/feel if someone was going to be spending the time wearing this in the water. This is a nontoxic sunscreen so it won't add as many chemicals to our environment or our bodies.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This has a rich melting texture that easily sinks into dry areas like legs and feet, the tops of hands ect. I appreciate the moisture it brings to these dry skin areas. But on my (oily) facial skin it is far too shiny and oily. It sits on top of my skin and is so sticky and shiny that my hair sticks to it. Also I am very fair and although the "clear invisible zinc formula" doesn't appear to lightens the skin on my body, it does lighten my face noticeably "like a porcelain doll without flaws" people have told me. If I leave it to sink in for 20 minutes then put on a layer of darker mineral powder on top it absorbs some of the excess oil and brings my skin back to a healthy looking shade. I'm not sure if I want to go through such an application, but I think it has many benefits over other sunblocks, so I might get again.

It has has a wax-like aroma, no synthetic preservatives, no synthetic fragrances, is made of organic ingredients, is 3 hours water resistant, is rich in natural anti-oxidants. It is much easier to rub in than other natural sunblocks.

It also states it is made using ONLY 100% natural/organic ingredients. Hypoallergenic unscented and suitable for people with chemical sensitivities and common allergies. Formulated according to Naturopathic principles for holistic health and well-being. All big pluses for me!

INGREDIENTS: Grapeseed oil, macadamia oil, green tea extract, roman chamomile extract, sunflower oil, capric/caprylic triglycerides (plant oil derived), beeswax, lecithin, vegetable oils, cucumber extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E). Active ingredient: zinc oxide 22.3%.

Liking this product!! Potential HG status...will have to wait and see. I've been using this product for about a week now. It's super safe and provides good protection. It also doesn't leave a white cast, as many other natural SS do. The price is lower than other SS I've tried. The smell is a bit weird, but I prefer a natural smell, to perfumey smells/irritation. My skin is pretty dry/sensitive because I use Retin-A everynight so I really needed a nonirritating SS. This is it!! I also like the texture. It's very moisturizing! Minor problems with mineral make up applications...I'm not sure if it's just because my skin is dry, but I'm noticing some flaking skin around the mouth... So far really liking this!! Will update if things change.

The product is very hard to spread because it is so oily. I put it on my face thinking the oiliness and shine will disappear after awhile but it didn't. My face felt very oily and and the sunscreen felt really thick. I put it on in the morning and it was there until that night when i took it off. I had to cleanse my face repeatedly and put some hand work into taking the sunscreen off. It was that tough to take it off. The next day my skin around my mouth was dry. I stopped using it. I am all for the 100% natural ingredients but i just don't wanna look like a grease-ball or do hard rubbing and scrubbing on my face just to take this stuff off. And, it is pricey. I was not happy with the product. I have so-so dry skin and i thought the oils in the product would help but it didn't do that either.

I also bought this product after seeing its great rating over at cosmeticsdatabase.com and worrying over other SS products not working well. I bought it online, since I wasn't sure if it was carried in stores and couldn't be bothered to look through all the different organic and health food stores in town.

The packaging isn't anything special, just the squeeze tube most sunscreens come with. It's a pretty ugly bottle to be honest, but it's not something I'd be carrying around with me anyway so it's really a concern of mine.

The consistency of this product is a bit strange. It feels a little grainy, but it absorbs into your face without leaving any grainy residue. The company claims that it leaves no white cast on your face...but I definitely noticed my a dulling effect on my face. Not as bad as Neutrogena's SS, but still not completely clear. Again, not too big of a deal because I always wear a tinted moisturizer/foundation.

What did really other me and cause me to take a lippie was the smell...I'm not really sure how to describe it. It definitely does not smell like your typical sunscreen, and in my opinion it's much, much worse. It's not intolerable, but it's not pleasant. It does fade after about a while...but still, ew. I also took off a lippie because it made my skin feel and look super oily. I have acne prone skin, and with all the oils in this product, I'm definitely afraid it's going to break me out. I did notice a few new bumps on my chin a day after using this, but I'm not entirely sure if it was the culprit.

I would have given this product a much lower rating had it not had the best rating at cosmeticsdatabase.com...I'm willing to endure the smell and the oiliness knowing that my skin is well-protected.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I found out about this product since it had a '0' rating (ie, having the least amount of chemicals & being one of the safest sunblocks on the market) on Skin Deep (cosmeticsdatabase.com). I was debating which sunblock to get from 3 companies - Keys, UV Naturals or Soleo. I heard some people had complaints about a cumin smell from the Keys sunblock (it DOES have cumin - not sure for what purpose though) and there were definitely complaints about UV Naturals for oily skin women, so I decided to try Soleo.

While this has nothing but beneficial goods for the skin (lots of essential oils), it is just too greasy for my oily skin. This is a slightly strange sunblock in that it does NOT look greasy when people look at me, but when I touch my face, I feel like an oil ball. And to not look so oily, I need to use such a minimal amount it doesn't even count as really wearing sunblock.

If I can control my oiliness, I will probably repurchase this until another effective sunblock comes out of the market that has complete (and potent) UVA & UVB protection. It's important to know that not all sunblocks are made equal - this sunblock has a high concentration of Zinc oxide, a physical sunblock and offers complete full-spectrum UVA & UVB protection, unlike some chemical sunscreens.

I'm still on the lookout for a sunblock that will not require an additional mattifying powder - I'd like to really minimize my make up routine and since I've pretty much found a good skinc are routine, I don't need any face make up.

EDIT (5/28/09): After trying Kabana Sunscreen (which had 25% zinc oxide compared to 22.3% ZO in this sunblock), and having major acne issues with it (now have acne scars on my cheeks - NEVER had acne on my cheeks before using Kabana), I will stick to Soleo. I found out that no mattifying powder will keep my face matte for an entire day. While the Kabana SS is cheaper, I find that this SS actually makes my face look glowy and somehow managed to even out my skin tone a little bit! I have a lot against Kabana and if you're acne prone I highly recommend you stay away from the tinted version of Kabana. I'm giving this SS a '5' not because it's HG and perfect in every single way but it's the best physical sunblock I've tried to date.

EDIT (8/10/09): I've had to remove one star from this. Simply put, I don't believe in natural product anymore - I think it's a huge marketing fix and I've done plenty of additional research (as well as had lots of conversations with 4 different dermatologists in my area) to find that the low concentration of parabens and other supposedly "bad" chemicals have not been proven to cause illnesses, cancers, etc. I've found a better physical sunscreen (albeit very expensive) to use instead of this one - Obagi ZO Skin Health Sunscreen SPF 30 - which is much more suitable for my oily skin. I truly think that only those with very dry skin could tolerate the oiliness of this product.

One of the top rated for protection by the EWP Skin Deep, as the other reviewer said. If you check their site you may be surprised regarding the effectiveness of your sunscreen.
Fabulous sun protection.
It has many of the qualities that turn some people off in sunscreen because application is not the easiest.
I am torn beween using this or Marie Veronique on my face. Marie Veronique has fairly good qualities by Skin Deep and does go on very well!
I have to overlook some of the problems I have in properly applying this sunscreen because the last thing I need is sun damage. I already have some. Ugh! Do I cover my face with a great sunscreen or cover my face with more makeup? Got to make a wiase choice here.