Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, Glycerin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, Propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, Parfum, Silica, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Nigella sativa, Alumina, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Propylparaben, Suberic Acid, Tocopherol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, CI 77891, Mica, CI 77491

on 11/5/2015 6:21:00 PM

I got a tiny sample packet of this primer from Sephora. I have been eyeing it for a really long time, but I rarely use primer because I don't really think most of them do anything. But my t-zone is so oily I thought I should try this. I really don't like it. First, it has fragrance. I hate fragrance in face products, and my face likes it even less. I have some visible pores on my nose. This doesn't fill them at all. Strange, since I would think it would have to if it was going to control oil. And my makeup went on horribly over it. Sort of like paste in some areas, and then my skin had this weird shine in others. It wasn't actually oil, but it didn't look nice. Oil breakthrough took about 5 hours, but that didn't really matter because it didn't look pretty.

on 1/14/2014 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Decent primer. When just applied my skin feels sooooo soft and my foundation glides on very smooth. I think this primer definately keeps me mat longer, and it doesn't break me out.

To Read all 33 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/1/2014 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This primer works well to smooth out my skin and help makes my pores look smaller around my nose. I only use it on my forehead, around my nose, and my chin, basically the tzone. I love the mousse texture of this, and compared to other primers with a similar texture, this one is a dream. I can easily put my foundation on over this and it doesn't look cakey. A little goes a long way, and the best way to out it on is by patting it gently. However, I get about average wear time with this as other primers. After two hours, I am slightly shiny, I have very oily skin so I usually blot around two-three hours after putting on makeup. Once I finish my bottle, I may try something new because I want something better for this price point.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I got this primer for around SGD$50 at Sephora during a Givenchy event in November. I felt really pressure into buying this. I advise all to check any makeup you have tried on at any department store or specialty store under sunlight. Do NOT be fooled by the lighting in-store, or be pressured into buying a product even when it looks bad because the makeup artist told you that it would look that way under certain lights. To think I was sucked into buying this when the makeup artist told me that my makeup was meant to look cakey because only in that way, it would show up under the harsh camera lights during the photoshoot! Stupid, stupid me. Despite that experience, I had used this product for a week and I am ready to share my thoughts on it.

Pros:
-> Mister Mat has a lovely, velvety texture.
-> It does not clog my extremely sensitive skin (i.e. acne-prone - my skin reacts to quite a number of products and I have to be careful even if they are labelled as 'non-acnegenic' or 'non-comedogenic').
-> Gives a soft-focus effect when used alone.
-> Could be used for touch-ups after blotting the face. However, pat minute amounts of it into the areas of the visage where sebum production is more active. Do not rub it into your skin.

Cons:
-> I *think* it does help to keep my face feeling matte for longer although it could be an unconscious pyschological attempt to convince myself that I'm not wasting money on a $50 primer. I'm not too sure. Because of my uncertainty, I'm not convinced enough to want to purchase this product again and work around its cons.
-> It balls up very easily if I rub it in too much. It balls up almost *too* easily, I would say. I have to be careful to *smooth* it into my skin in a downward motion. It takes up quite a bit of time in the morning!
-> Foundation does *NOT* go over smoothly. I have tried it with Givenchy Eclat Matissime Foundation and Lancome Mat Miracle. I could only pat those products into my skin with my fingers. I could not blend and spread the foundation easily! The end result was unnatural and looked cakey, and I am the kind of person who is always very careful about using just enough foundation, and hate to go OTT on base makeup. I had to wash the makeup off and redo it again. That was the last straw, and the deal-breaker for me.

How I have decided to work with it:
Sigh. This product was such a waste of money. However, I will use it up because at the very least, Mister Mat does not clog my pores. Prior to applying it, I would spray some M.A.C. Fix+ onto my face for a little bit of hydration and pat it in -- it will also help the primer to blend in better. After that, I will skip liquid foundation and go straight to conceal any imperfections with M.A.C. Studio Finish Concealer in NC20. I would finish off the look with either M.A.C. Blot Powder in 'Light' or Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Powder Quartet in 'Delicate Beige'. I would not use a compact foundation as the final step as I fear a repeat of an unnatural everyday look.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Pros:
-> Mister Mat has a lovely, velvety texture.
-> Gives a soft-focus effect when used alone.

Cons:

How I have decided to work with it:

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I have very oily skin. This primer seems to go on matte, but within a HOUR my face is oily. Unacceptable for the price of this primer. Will never purchase this product again.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

LOVEEE. Not sure why it's getting such a bad rap! I have oily skin, and when I say I've tried every primer imaginable, I mean EVERY one. I love this primer, even better than the Smashbox, NARS, Sephora, and Tarte ones I've owned. When applied after a makeup setting spray, (Urban Decay's de-slick) my makeup looks flawless. No primer is a magician, but I get a beautiful matte finish from this Givenchy Mister Mat, and I don't find myself having to touch up or blot throughout the day. The packaging is sleek and tucks away neatly in my vanity. Would definitely recommend, maybe a good, matte setting spray is all it takes to get great results from this primer. Definitely worth the price !

on 12/28/2012 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been a sucker for HE products since I was an SA for YSL in my late teens. I haven't been as avid a product junkie as in my teens but I'm still looking for new products since my skin has changed a bit.

I was looking for a matte finish under makeup. Meghan at Sephora Ala Moana applied this on me on moisturized skin under my foundation w/ a sponge. I wasn't looking for a primer but after she sold me on the texture and look of this. It smells of roses, may be strong to some but not for me. I prefer fragrance in my skin care and cosmetics to mask the "unscented" scent; it just feels more luxurious to me plus my skin doesn't react to fragrance that in ways that I am aware of.

It applied very smoothly and does not flake like Smashbox. It feels like a silicone-based primer; didn't check ingredients. This just made my foundation go on like butter. It truly is a luxurious product but there are probably things that money is better spent on. You get very little and I'll probably go through this in a few months, maybe less. Nonetheless, I like the finish and fragrance enough for me to repurchase. Deducted a lippie for price and for not keeping me matte like it should; I was shiny in a few hours however, it could be due to the foundation or moisturizer I wore as well.

on 3/18/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Mister Matt did nothing for my oily skin. I feel like it made me feel like a oil slick :( and it did not control oil or make me look Matt thre out the day. Would not waste my money buy purchasing again

on 10/19/2011 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I received a sample of this from a Sephora, MA, and I did absolutely nothing for my oily skin. I applied this after letting my mouisurizer soak in, and prior to applying foundation. I actually made my makeup slide off by mid-day.