Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) with Polysorbate

No Image

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/31/2015 7:53:00 AM

I mix mineral oil with about 20% polysorbate-80. 15% leaves too much residue behind for me. Mineral oil is non-reactive, the most inoffensive of cleansers for most people. I do two cleanses to remove my makeup and SPF and it works wonderfully just using my hands and water to remove. I use the same in the mornings, but only once. I use Retin-A every evening and this OCM has worked well with it because it does not irritate AT ALL. The two ingredients are both very cheap and effective.

I wonder what could be added to make a solution where the polysorbate does not separate out. I have not tried heating the mixture, mind you. It doesn't really bother me to have to shake the bottle but I imagine it would be more convenient not to have to do that.

on 2/1/2014 6:43:00 PM

I am loving this. Effective, non-irritating, and easy to rinse. My current recipe for 5 oz of cleansing oil is:
2 ounces castor oil
1 ounce rice bran oil
1/2 ounce grapeseed oil
1/2 ounce avocado oil
1/2 ounce apricot oil
1/4 ounce Cromollient SCE
1/4 ounce Polysorbate 80

This makes a golden-colored, clean-rinsing oil with no scent.

I can use this for a nice long facial massage, makeup removal, and all around cleanser. I rinse with a cool washcloth (my rosacea can't handle a hot washcloth or steaming session). I've toyed with more expensive oils but this is my favorite combination so far. I've not had a single problem. No purging, no dryness or oiliness. I get my emulsifiers from lotioncrafter and they are pretty economical since you use a small amount with each batch. Also posting this review in the OCM topic.