Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) with Polysorbate

Filtered by age: 30-35
No Image

4.8

on 8/31/2015 7:53:00 AM

I mix mineral oil with about 20% polysorbate-80. 15% leaves too much residue behind for me. Mineral oil is non-reactive, the most inoffensive of cleansers for most people. I do two cleanses to remove my makeup and SPF and it works wonderfully just using my hands and water to remove. I use the same in the mornings, but only once. I use Retin-A every evening and this OCM has worked well with it because it does not irritate AT ALL. The two ingredients are both very cheap and effective.

I wonder what could be added to make a solution where the polysorbate does not separate out. I have not tried heating the mixture, mind you. It doesn't really bother me to have to shake the bottle but I imagine it would be more convenient not to have to do that.

on 10/8/2013 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I started using this method and my mixture is very similar to what other reviewers are using. I use 8 parts Hemp Seed Oil and 1 part each of Peg-Olivate and Polysorbate 80 liquid (roughly 10% each...I eye ball the amount and add each part to a small glass jar with eye dropper top). I first remove my eye make up with eye make up remover as the oil seems to make my eyes cloudy or something and the on dry skin (and on top of face make up), I smear a very generous amount on to my face with clean hands. Sometimes I spend a long time working it in to rough feeling places, areas that are more clog-prone (my forehead, chin, and nose areas) before washing off. Sometimes I just rub in quickly and rinse off with warm water (I use in the mornings as well, but use far less and wash quickly).

Once in awhile if I feel like I have peeling or my skin needs a little manual exfoliation I will use a washcloth (soaked in warm/hot water, not scalding water) to remove the oil and make up and then rinse my face once more with just water to make sure its clean.

This method is working very well on my previously very clogged skin. I also switched my make up back to something I knew didn't clog my pores, I tried a foundation that was awful for my skin. I also follow-up at night with more hemp seed oil as needed. Or I use a 2% salicylic acid toner (alcohol free). All products are from Garden of Wisdom. excpet the hemp seed oil. This I just buy at the health foods store.

Current regimine:
AM:
wash face using OCM Oil Cleansing Method with Polysorbate/Peg Olivate
Hemp Seed Oil as moistuizer
spot treat as needed with Persa-Gel Clean & Clear BP gel
mineral make up (Meow cosmetics) and Glow Minerals concealer as needed
mineral/powder sunscreen (Jane Iredale)

PM:
wash face using OCM Oil Cleansing Method with Polysorbate/Peg Olivate
Hemp Seed Oil as moistuizer if dry
2% salicylic acid toner - Garden of Wisdom if skin is congested

on 3/27/2013 1:37:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been experimenting with rinsable oil cleansers since Retin-A made my cheeks too sensitive to tolerate the wiping involved in cold cream or regular oil cleansing. I still needed an oily cleanser since my sunscreen just laughs at soap and water.

The actual oils I used were consistent throughout my experiments, a combination of sunflower/coconut/olive I know my skin likes.

I first tried polysorbate-20 between 5 and 10% and had trouble finding a balance where the oil would rinse clean but not leave my face feeling tight and dry.

While I was waiting on an order of Cromollient I tried with some BTMS pastilles that I had left over from other projects: 1/2 tsp BTMS to about 8 Tb. mixed oils. This went much better. The BTMS provided a lush moisturizing effect and my skin wasn't dried out. It feels slimy or slippery when I rinse it, but leaves no residue and hasn't clogged my pores. I also like the milky, slightly thickened consistency the mixture has.

I only recently tried an oil blend with slightly under 10% Cromollient and I think on balance I prefer it slightly to the BTMS just because it's easier to rinse clean and does have a clean feel under my hands when it's completely rinsed off. It leaves my skin feeling even softer than the BTMS did. I think about 7 or 8% is going to be the right amount for me, otherwise it can be drying, but unlike polysorbate-20, there is a "just right" place I can find with it.

Bottom line, I'll use up the BTMS I have left but reorder the Cromollient.

on 2/5/2009 3:17:00 AM

DON'T ATTEMPT OCM WITHOUT AN EMULSIFIER ........

See my review on OCM to read my horrible experience with this cleanser (boils all over from my neck on up that would break when I talked and left me with purple scars for years and years) and read about how castor oil contains toxins if not cold processed.

Warning: some skin can tolerate steaming and massaging and others cannot. I found that my skin is in its best condition with rare breakouts from using the oil mixed with an emulsifier as a regular cleanser (gently massage onto dry skin and rinse off). I do not steam, I do not massage for a long period, and I do not add essential oils to my brew because I break out from these methods. I also follow with a gentle but acidic toner (see below).

*****INFORMATION ON USING AN OIL CLEANSER WITH AN EMULSIFIER*****
I have been using an oil cleanser with an emulsifier for almost 10 years now! My skin absolutely loves it! I use a clean 8oz bottle and add the ingredients: 2/3 unrefined Hempseed oil and 1/3 Polysorbate 80. To use, I shake the bottle to disperse the emulsifiers. I put a Tbsp amount in my hand and rub it onto my DRY skin like a regular cleanser to get the makeup and excess oils off. I use it on my face, around my eyes and ears, and down my neck. It acts like regular oil until I rinse. When water is added it turns to a gentle white foam that rinses right off (thank you emulsifier). I pat completely dry.

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW WITH A TONER AFTER to ensure you removed all the oils off the skin. I use 1-2 Tbsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar per 8 oz bottle of water. I get white heads in my problem areas if I do not follow with a toner.

My skin loves this stuff! Most people can't believe I am 42 and challenge me on proving my age. Things I noticed within a month of switching to this cleanser: skin is balanced (no longer an oil slick 20 minutes after washing) and glows. It feels plump and moist. It is mostly pimple-free except when trialing new stuff like primers (which I combat the cystic pimples with Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion) and my pores stay smaller and cleaner. My face is the color of my neck (vs. shades lighter from the regular facial cleansers). I no-longer wear makeup! That is something that shocks me because I used to stipple on cream-pot type makeup, and concealer, followed by setting powder, than a layer of colors. The above makeup routine is no longer needed because my skin glows and has a nice overall color. It also has minimally aged. The wrinkles I have under my eyes have been the same since my mid 20's. I have the addition of some new sun spots (kicking myself for those couple of days when I didn't wear sunscreen!).

See my notebook for further details and options I explored when creating the oil cleanser.