Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Kinky Curly Curling Custard

botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

I am a redhead with 2c, very coarse, extremely prone to frizz but fine hair. I recently started the CG method and the gels I tried so far were the devacurl light and ultra, the la looks and Biosilk rock hard gelee. I wasn't completely satisfied with any of them. They were either not giving me the frizz protection I was looking for, or giving me a crazy curl pattern, and no hope for a 2nd day curls (deva). For some silly reason I was thinking this custard wasn't going to give me enough hold or frizz protection without using a strong hold gel on top. Well this custard delivers, and it doesn't need anything else on top of it to do so. I just moisturize my freshly washed hair with some Shea moisture smoothie or curl milk and then add the custard. I get beautiful glossy, defined, not a drop of frizz, curls. And 2nd, 3rd sometimes even 4th day hair. Beautiful! A winner

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Great natural gel.

I would rather give my money to a vegan and cruelty free brand thats run by not only a woman but a black woman instead of eco styler u know

It works, smells fine and does exactly what it claims. Some people having issues w it being too heavy, mix it with water and apply to already wet hair. This product is mostly for 3c-type 4 hair when its unmixed.

To Read all 93 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/3/2016 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is one of my favourite products for hold. Although keep in mind that this does not have the hold of your typical hard hold gel. I didn't like it in the beginning and felt that it made my hair look flat while killing the curl. As people say, there is a learning curve to this product and no way to really teach how to use it. You have to go through trial and error and figure out what and how much works for your hair. Too little and it doesn't do much for your hair, and if you use too much, it can take forever to use and can weight down your hair, albeit in a non-greasy manner. My routine consists of applying this last after I have plopped and lightly scrunching it into my hair. Difficult to explain, but barely scrunching; I raise my hands to my head with my curls in them and press and gently hold to my head, but I do not make any real squeezing motion with my hands. Now that I have figured out how to make it work for me I get consistent results, even in the different seasons and despite this product containing humectants.

I find that this product provides reasonable hold for those that do not want something intense and reduces frizz more so than other gels I have tried. The slippery texture also helps make it easily glide over the hair. However, this will be hard to distribute if you are thinking of combing it through. Also, while it is not terribly important for me I like that it is curly girl friendly and mostly natural.

I love the scent of this product. It is strong but fades almost instantly after application. When I think of custard I think of a cream consistency, but this feels more like slime. I don't dig jar packaging, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Also, I find that a tub can last you a good while.

Every now and again I try another gel and just do not like how it turns out, making me return to KCCC. Just remember that this is not a curl enhancing product, despite what the name may suggest.

Definitely a staple for me and something I keep returning to! Nothing glamorous but omigosh I love it.

on 5/9/2016 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been using and playing around with this product for around 3 months now, and it is definitely something I find myself reaching for often. I've found this to be very versatile in my routine. I can use it on wet hair to define my waves/curls or dry hair to calm frizz and add some definition/clumping. I've also used it on second day hair both with curls down and hair up in a ponytail (and occasionally for adding some grip/hold to a bun or braid that would otherwise fall out from being too soft). I have barely made a dent in the tub, as I literally use 1-2 fingertips worth of product. I'm impressed with the versatility of this product. I do not find it very moisturizing, so if I use it right out of the shower I always layer my leave in and oil beneath it. On second day hair I occasionally add a bit of leave in or oil, but can also do without it. Although I don't find it adds moisture, it doesn't dry hair either. It does take away from the softness of my hair on days I use it, but that's to be expected when using a gel product (or any product that adds definition and helps waves/curls clump). I expect this product to last a long time, which makes the price not something that is a huge deal. The scent is light and sweet, but doesn't cause issues (I can easily get migraines from strong scents). This is something that I'm enjoying having in my arsenal, and am enjoying playing around with. I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and purchased this!

on 4/8/2016 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the only products I have consistently used on my curly hair. I have type 3 hair and it's the only gel I can use that makes my curls look good and I always get compliments. A little goes along way and it's going to enhance the texture you already have. It's not going to make your hair become something it's not, it's only going to bring out true texture of your hair. So no this is not a miracle products that's going to turn kinks to curls, or waves to tight curls, your hair texture will stay the same it'll just add moisture, shine, hold without the crunch. If you're getting hard, crunchy, sticky hair, you're using too much. It doesn't take a lot and your hair needs to be wet so it can spread easily through the hair. This will always be a staple in my routine and I've tried cheaper gels but nothing compares to this.

on 2/26/2016 6:34:00 AM

As far as giving good hair, this is a 3. I had ok volume, fairly defined curls and my ends didn't seem too dry the first day I did my hair. But there is NO second day hair with this for me. The product doesn't help hold my curl shape at all over night. I was left with caveman hair the next morning that had fallen really flat on the crown (pulled out curl that was puffy and undefined and FLAT at the crown). I also felt that I had to use more product than I do with my other products to make it work. It also didn't leave my curls clumped nicely, they were a bit on the stringy side. I have very fine wavy to curly hair.

The packing - It sucks. I hate the tub a squeeze bottle would be sooo much better. I hate dipping my hands into it.

The price - Seriously, at Target, this was still $16.99! I will spend money on great products but not for this mediocrity. It just seems way over priced when my $1.49 LA Looks blue gel does the same thing. If this were a $5 product it would irritate me less, but the price just seems ridiculous for what it does.

The product itself is a solid 3 lippies. The packaging and price make me want to put it lower, but I will stick with 3 lippies because that speaks to the product's performance.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I saw this product on youtube, a lady with curly hair was explaining how she does her hair.
Anyway, when she said this was at target..I decided to get some for my own wavy hair.
This product Is GREAT!!!! I love it!!! It is a gel type consistency...a bit more watery. It smells great--sweet, like vanilla. It definitely helps separate my waves and it keeps my waves and curls defined looking BUT it also isn't crunchy.. I will admit--Sometimes I DO like the crunchy look BUT ONLY BECAUSE it seems like once my hair stops being crunchy, hours later--my hair still looks good. HOWEVER, with this product, it's totally unnecessary....my hair is still soft but it isn't all hard and crunchy.
As for the packaging, I love that's it's in a jar, but only because I can get any and all product out.
I don't like the jar tho because it's not very big (for the price) and because it's awkward. It is kind of high priced--at $17 before tax....but I love how it smells, I love how it leaves my hair, and I love how it's made with many natural ingredients :-)
I do wish it was a bit cheaper... but I ve found something that works well for my super long, wavy hair--so I will keep using it.
I think that if you have wavy or curly hair--you should definitely give this a try :-) it has worked miracles for my frizzy, thick, wavy hair.

on 1/22/2016 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Ok so I could go on and on about praising this product, will try to keep it short. For all 20 years of my existence I've NEVER just applied a product and let my hair dry. I would always have to braid it when wet or twist it or just straighten it. Very few days did my 'natural curls' turn out fine without me feeling like a lion. And I mean, the frizz was real. I could see see through layers of flattened curls just raising up as it dried. Always tangled and just a mess. With this I'm seeing curls and definition, it's not tangled anymore. I used to sit in my bath just combing through the knots for like 2 hours every few days. Nightmare. Now whatever crazy thing I do my hair still isn't tangled. Give it a chance! It worked for me the first try but I could see why it wouldn't for others. I believe it's a real gem for curly girls so really I recommend it!
Here's my tips :
- If you apply too much it will make your hair a bit hard. No worries! Sometimes you just need a lot because your hair is like, a lot wild you know? Takes 2 minutes to fix : Just scrunch your hair. Scrunch everywhere. Everything will be back to super soft curls.
- Do it when your hair is really wet. Not soaking wet but it shouldn't be even 10% dry. In doubt just spray and finger scrunch the excess water out!

TOTAL LIFE SAVER.

on 10/11/2015 5:44:00 AM

Was getting so frustrated with my hair. Seemed that anything I used was giving me dry, frizzy hair. No curl definition either. Products that did a decent job were too oily or greasy. Was at Target and thought maybe this white woman needs to go to the ethnic hair section of Target. So glad I did. I saw Kinky Curly Curling Custard and immediately started googling it. Saw a great YouTube video on how to use it properly. The video encouraged users to buy the shampoo, Knot Today conditioner, and the KCCC to get the best results. So about $35 later, I did and I'm so glad I did. It literally transformed my hair after one use.

Here's how I used it. First, I washed with the Kinky Curly shampoo. I noticed there are no sulfates or "cones" (a.k.a. dimethicone and the like) in the shampoo. I thought this should be interested. I have oily scalp and dry hair (long and lots of it), but it lathered pretty well and my hair felt clean even with previous products in it. Rinse. I applied the Knot Today conditioner as a leave in (about the size of a quarter). I applied it all over to wet hair (no towel). I squeezed water out of my hair with my hands. Then I applied in sections (maybe 6 total sections), the KCCC. Maybe the size of a dime or a little more in each section. Combed through and then used a small towel to absorb the excess water. I diffused dried my hair a bit just so I wasn't a dripping watery mess. Then let the rest air-dry. Must admit, it took a while for my hair to dry, but maybe this is the issue. The 'cones' make your curly/wavy hair dry faster, but then there is frizz.

End result with Kinky Curly, soft, well defined waves. My hair was not frizzy. Looked healthy, shiny (without a greasy or oily feel--hate that). Dry hair didn't tangle or look fried at the ends. No itchy scalp. I didn't notice a vanilla scent at all and I'm pretty sensitive to vanilla smells (don't like them).

I'm surprised these products worked for me. I'm a believer now. Maybe there is something to the no sulfate, no 'cones', no protein hype when it comes to curly/wavy hair.

on 6/4/2015 9:19:00 PM

I actually found one of these on clearance at Rite Aid for $1 and liked the ingredients, since I don't like crunchy gels and hairsprays after OD-ing on them in the 1980s and 1990s.
This product works well for me. I'm basically a white chick with frizzy-wavy-fine hair. It gives my hair nice definition without making the hair feel crispy or dried out. I've applied it both to wet hair to seal in some waves or added it to dry hair for definition or to tame some frizz and flyaways. I've even scooped some out of the tub and mixed it with water for a spray gel.
I'm very happy with this product, and I love the scent. Some have described is heavy with vanilla or like a vanilla cigar, which is probably the best way to describe it. A number of times I've just opened the tub and inhaled, I like it that much. I don't notice the scent lingers, though, like, for example, some Carol's Daughter products, which I also like, but I smell that product all day long.