Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Curling CustardCurling Custard

botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I would maybe buy this again. I don't mind paying a high price when a product works for me but I'm not so convinced of the effectiveness of KCCC it's a gel. An expensive gel at that. My hair never feels sticky which I hate it when it feels sticky. It doesn't ever feel crunchy I mean crunchy I can deal with crunchy not sticky. I feel like this replaceable by other cheaper gels like eco styler. I'll use it up but I prefer the CURLS brand of products line up. This just failed to "wow" me. I'm so sad becoz this is so many other ppl's HG!!

on 9/18/2017 11:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have to say this product is really right down the middle for me. Some of the pros: I really like that it's made up of natural ingredients and doesn't have any proteins in it as my hair is protein-sensitive. I like that I don't have to use that much to get the full effect and have nice bouncy curls. I know some people had reactions with acne to this, but I haven't had any breakouts, even with my sensitive skin. I also like how incredibly soft my hair feels with this product in my hair. However, some of the cons are the packaging, this stuff really needs to be in a tube! Secondly, the smell isn't that great for me, but it doesn't linger in the hair, which is a plus. This does leave a very distinct gel cast on my hair, so I have to work to "scrunch out the crunch", which I'm not a big fan of. The biggest con for me is that it really doesn't hold up for second day curls. My hair becomes flat and frizzy on the second day with this in my hair and that's a no-no for me since I try to wash my hair every 3 days. Even with trying to revitalize my hair with water, it still doesn't work. It's really unfortunate because I really like the natural aspect and how soft my hair feels with this in, but it's not really sustainable for me. And at the price (24.99), I can't afford to be using this product every single day.

on 7/24/2016 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've tried two other gels in an effort to encourage the curl in my hair and make it last. Kinky Curly Natural Styling Gel is is about as effective as any other gel I've tried.

I find the jar packaging difficult to work with and would prefer a tube container.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The best curling product on my 3b-3c curls. I finally decided to try this and am blown away! It is very slippery, very hydrating, totally eliminates my frizz, clumps my curls and adds tons of shine!
The way I use this gel is right after leave-in, on wet hair. I smooth this product in in small sections to make sure it is evenly distributed. I think of it as the product that seals everything in while providing great added benefits (look at the ingredients list!). I see it at nourishment for my hair and have noticed great improvement in my hair after using this product.
The price you pay for this product is so worth it. If you compare it to other similar products you will see they have tons of glycerin which this does not have. On me personally, too much glycerine creates a mushy frizzy look. This took me some research and experimenting but I nailed it and this product helped me tremendously.
I HIGHLY recommend this.
If I could improve this product in any way I would change the jar packaging to a squeezy tube packaging for ease of use.

I am a redhead with 2c, very coarse, extremely prone to frizz but fine hair. I recently started the CG method and the gels I tried so far were the devacurl light and ultra, the la looks and Biosilk rock hard gelee. I wasn't completely satisfied with any of them. They were either not giving me the frizz protection I was looking for, or giving me a crazy curl pattern, and no hope for a 2nd day curls (deva). For some silly reason I was thinking this custard wasn't going to give me enough hold or frizz protection without using a strong hold gel on top. Well this custard delivers, and it doesn't need anything else on top of it to do so. I just moisturize my freshly washed hair with some Shea moisture smoothie or curl milk and then add the custard. I get beautiful glossy, defined, not a drop of frizz, curls. And 2nd, 3rd sometimes even 4th day hair. Beautiful! A winner

on 10/2/2016 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

EDIT - 3 stars. Breaks me out, although honestly, almost all hair products do. If you're acne prone, try homemade flaxseed gel instead.

EDIT - 3.5 stars. KCCC only works for me (fine 3C curls, low porosity) with nothing under it (the KCKT is overkill). The hold is very light, which means I lose my curls if I manipulate them. But my curls do look fab if I don't over-apply, which unfortunately it's tough to gauge. Also, if I over-apply I break out.

I wish this product were slightly less finicky, but it's still better than most gels I have tried.

EDIT - still experimenting with this, using less and smoothing it on, then scrunching it in. I think I could use more hold, but my hair does look pretty when it dries. Not sure about breakouts - using less helps.

So for me, this is a weird product. If I apply it perfectly (soaking wet hair, section off hair and painstakingly smooth on a fingerful to each small area) I can get a head full of amazing absolutely perfect little spirals. But 1) if I don't do exactly right, my hair looks blah and b) this product breaks me put like crazy. It smells yummy and for someone with more patience and less effed-up skin, it could be really great.

on 5/9/2016 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been using and playing around with this product for around 3 months now, and it is definitely something I find myself reaching for often. I've found this to be very versatile in my routine. I can use it on wet hair to define my waves/curls or dry hair to calm frizz and add some definition/clumping. I've also used it on second day hair both with curls down and hair up in a ponytail (and occasionally for adding some grip/hold to a bun or braid that would otherwise fall out from being too soft). I have barely made a dent in the tub, as I literally use 1-2 fingertips worth of product. I'm impressed with the versatility of this product. I do not find it very moisturizing, so if I use it right out of the shower I always layer my leave in and oil beneath it. On second day hair I occasionally add a bit of leave in or oil, but can also do without it. Although I don't find it adds moisture, it doesn't dry hair either. It does take away from the softness of my hair on days I use it, but that's to be expected when using a gel product (or any product that adds definition and helps waves/curls clump). I expect this product to last a long time, which makes the price not something that is a huge deal. The scent is light and sweet, but doesn't cause issues (I can easily get migraines from strong scents). This is something that I'm enjoying having in my arsenal, and am enjoying playing around with. I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and purchased this!

Update: I've actually given this away. Over time my hair was feeling more and more dry from this product and was getting more stringy. Hair took too long to dry for daily use, and on dry hair I have found another product I prefer that adds moisture, texture, and definition. I won't be repurchasing.

on 6/3/2016 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is one of my favourite products for hold. Although keep in mind that this does not have the hold of your typical hard hold gel. I didn't like it in the beginning and felt that it made my hair look flat while killing the curl. As people say, there is a learning curve to this product and no way to really teach how to use it. You have to go through trial and error and figure out what and how much works for your hair. Too little and it doesn't do much for your hair, and if you use too much, it can take forever to use and can weight down your hair, albeit in a non-greasy manner. My routine consists of applying this last after I have plopped and lightly scrunching it into my hair. Difficult to explain, but barely scrunching; I raise my hands to my head with my curls in them and press and gently hold to my head, but I do not make any real squeezing motion with my hands. Now that I have figured out how to make it work for me I get consistent results, even in the different seasons and despite this product containing humectants.

I find that this product provides reasonable hold for those that do not want something intense and reduces frizz more so than other gels I have tried. The slippery texture also helps make it easily glide over the hair. However, this will be hard to distribute if you are thinking of combing it through. Also, while it is not terribly important for me I like that it is curly girl friendly and mostly natural.

I love the scent of this product. It is strong but fades almost instantly after application. When I think of custard I think of a cream consistency, but this feels more like slime. I don't dig jar packaging, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Also, I find that a tub can last you a good while.

Every now and again I try another gel and just do not like how it turns out, making me return to KCCC. Just remember that this is not a curl enhancing product, despite what the name may suggest.

Definitely a staple for me and something I keep returning to! Nothing glamorous but omigosh I love it.

on 4/8/2016 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the only products I have consistently used on my curly hair. I have type 3 hair and it's the only gel I can use that makes my curls look good and I always get compliments. A little goes along way and it's going to enhance the texture you already have. It's not going to make your hair become something it's not, it's only going to bring out true texture of your hair. So no this is not a miracle products that's going to turn kinks to curls, or waves to tight curls, your hair texture will stay the same it'll just add moisture, shine, hold without the crunch. If you're getting hard, crunchy, sticky hair, you're using too much. It doesn't take a lot and your hair needs to be wet so it can spread easily through the hair. This will always be a staple in my routine and I've tried cheaper gels but nothing compares to this.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Great natural gel.

I would rather give my money to a vegan and cruelty free brand thats run by not only a woman but a black woman instead of eco styler u know

It works, smells fine and does exactly what it claims. Some people having issues w it being too heavy, mix it with water and apply to already wet hair. This product is mostly for 3c-type 4 hair when its unmixed.

Popular Styling Products