Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Curling CustardCurling Custard

botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

on 11/24/2017 9:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have long 3a-3b hair, frizzy, fine, and like cotton candy hair poof. My hair has been looking really bad lately, dry, weird texture, a total catastrophe in humidity. And I’ve tried everything, spent so much money over the last year in particular. So there I went again, looking for anything recommended by curly girls and realized I had never tried this. I used this with the matching shampoo and conditioner and my hair is beautiful! Soft, frizz free, clumpy curls. It actually looks like healthy hair. I washed my hair, used the conditioner as a rinse out, and then added a little more conditioner as a leave in, then the curling custard. It smells wonderful and I didn’t use much. I emulsified it in my hands and swept it over my hair a few times. I think I found my HG in this line and I highly recommend!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this custard on its own, the result was alright, but I can achieve better curls with any gel (Aussie or LA looks sports). For the price it's not really worth it. This is my first purchase of styling products that are actually meant for curly hair so I have high expectations of it. I have fine low porosity 2c waves, and with my other gels I get springier curls but with this my hair stays wavy, but still defined. I might mix it with a gel next time for more hold. What I like from it is that it doesnt give those fake looking curls like what I get with gels. Gels can be stiff so my curls look too plastic-y and made up. Looks decent on first day and weird the next day. The kinky curly custard gives curls which look more natural. It has way better natural ingredients than my other gel. How I like it the most to use it is by mixing it with gelatin powder. I mix a teaspoon gelatin with warm water and mix it with the custard. My first day curls can look so flat, second hair day most curls look poofier but mine goes limp and disgusting. However, using it this way makes me look like I have more hair all of a sudden, it doesnt give me springy curls but I love the volume. I got the recipe looking at youtubers from Brazil who mixes gelatin (gelatina) with their leave in cream (creme de pentear). If you have fine hair that loves protein you might like this tip. I dont recommend using gelatin mixed with any styling products on coarse thick curls, or on low porosity curls that protein are protein sensitive

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I would maybe buy this again. I don't mind paying a high price when a product works for me but I'm not so convinced of the effectiveness of KCCC it's a gel. An expensive gel at that. My hair never feels sticky which I hate it when it feels sticky. It doesn't ever feel crunchy I mean crunchy I can deal with crunchy not sticky. I feel like this replaceable by other cheaper gels like eco styler. I'll use it up but I prefer the CURLS brand of products line up. This just failed to "wow" me. I'm so sad becoz this is so many other ppl's HG!!

on 9/18/2017 11:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have to say this product is really right down the middle for me. Some of the pros: I really like that it's made up of natural ingredients and doesn't have any proteins in it as my hair is protein-sensitive. I like that I don't have to use that much to get the full effect and have nice bouncy curls. I know some people had reactions with acne to this, but I haven't had any breakouts, even with my sensitive skin. I also like how incredibly soft my hair feels with this product in my hair. However, some of the cons are the packaging, this stuff really needs to be in a tube! Secondly, the smell isn't that great for me, but it doesn't linger in the hair, which is a plus. This does leave a very distinct gel cast on my hair, so I have to work to "scrunch out the crunch", which I'm not a big fan of. The biggest con for me is that it really doesn't hold up for second day curls. My hair becomes flat and frizzy on the second day with this in my hair and that's a no-no for me since I try to wash my hair every 3 days. Even with trying to revitalize my hair with water, it still doesn't work. It's really unfortunate because I really like the natural aspect and how soft my hair feels with this in, but it's not really sustainable for me. And at the price (24.99), I can't afford to be using this product every single day.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The best curling product on my 3b-3c curls. I finally decided to try this and am blown away! It is very slippery, very hydrating, totally eliminates my frizz, clumps my curls and adds tons of shine!
The way I use this gel is right after leave-in, on wet hair. I smooth this product in in small sections to make sure it is evenly distributed. I think of it as the product that seals everything in while providing great added benefits (look at the ingredients list!). I see it at nourishment for my hair and have noticed great improvement in my hair after using this product.
The price you pay for this product is so worth it. If you compare it to other similar products you will see they have tons of glycerin which this does not have. On me personally, too much glycerine creates a mushy frizzy look. This took me some research and experimenting but I nailed it and this product helped me tremendously.
I HIGHLY recommend this.
If I could improve this product in any way I would change the jar packaging to a squeezy tube packaging for ease of use.

on 10/2/2016 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

EDIT - 3 stars. Breaks me out, although honestly, almost all hair products do. If you're acne prone, try homemade flaxseed gel instead.

EDIT - 3.5 stars. KCCC only works for me (fine 3C curls, low porosity) with nothing under it (the KCKT is overkill). The hold is very light, which means I lose my curls if I manipulate them. But my curls do look fab if I don't over-apply, which unfortunately it's tough to gauge. Also, if I over-apply I break out.

I wish this product were slightly less finicky, but it's still better than most gels I have tried.

EDIT - still experimenting with this, using less and smoothing it on, then scrunching it in. I think I could use more hold, but my hair does look pretty when it dries. Not sure about breakouts - using less helps.

So for me, this is a weird product. If I apply it perfectly (soaking wet hair, section off hair and painstakingly smooth on a fingerful to each small area) I can get a head full of amazing absolutely perfect little spirals. But 1) if I don't do exactly right, my hair looks blah and b) this product breaks me put like crazy. It smells yummy and for someone with more patience and less effed-up skin, it could be really great.

on 7/24/2016 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've tried two other gels in an effort to encourage the curl in my hair and make it last. Kinky Curly Natural Styling Gel is as effective as the other gels, but I dislike the jar packaging. I find it easier to use a gel in a tube container.

I am a redhead with 2c, very coarse, extremely prone to frizz but fine hair. I recently started the CG method and the gels I tried so far were the devacurl light and ultra, the la looks and Biosilk rock hard gelee. I wasn't completely satisfied with any of them. They were either not giving me the frizz protection I was looking for, or giving me a crazy curl pattern, and no hope for a 2nd day curls (deva). For some silly reason I was thinking this custard wasn't going to give me enough hold or frizz protection without using a strong hold gel on top. Well this custard delivers, and it doesn't need anything else on top of it to do so. I just moisturize my freshly washed hair with some Shea moisture smoothie or curl milk and then add the custard. I get beautiful glossy, defined, not a drop of frizz, curls. And 2nd, 3rd sometimes even 4th day hair. Beautiful! A winner

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Great natural gel.

I would rather give my money to a vegan and cruelty free brand thats run by not only a woman but a black woman instead of eco styler u know

It works, smells fine and does exactly what it claims. Some people having issues w it being too heavy, mix it with water and apply to already wet hair. This product is mostly for 3c-type 4 hair when its unmixed.

on 6/3/2016 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is one of my favourite products for hold. Although keep in mind that this does not have the hold of your typical hard hold gel. I didn't like it in the beginning and felt that it made my hair look flat while killing the curl. As people say, there is a learning curve to this product and no way to really teach how to use it. You have to go through trial and error and figure out what and how much works for your hair. Too little and it doesn't do much for your hair, and if you use too much, it can take forever to use and can weight down your hair, albeit in a non-greasy manner. My routine consists of applying this last after I have plopped and lightly scrunching it into my hair. Difficult to explain, but barely scrunching; I raise my hands to my head with my curls in them and press and gently hold to my head, but I do not make any real squeezing motion with my hands. Now that I have figured out how to make it work for me I get consistent results, even in the different seasons and despite this product containing humectants.

I find that this product provides reasonable hold for those that do not want something intense and reduces frizz more so than other gels I have tried. The slippery texture also helps make it easily glide over the hair. However, this will be hard to distribute if you are thinking of combing it through. Also, while it is not terribly important for me I like that it is curly girl friendly and mostly natural.

I love the scent of this product. It is strong but fades almost instantly after application. When I think of custard I think of a cream consistency, but this feels more like slime. I don't dig jar packaging, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Also, I find that a tub can last you a good while.

Every now and again I try another gel and just do not like how it turns out, making me return to KCCC. Just remember that this is not a curl enhancing product, despite what the name may suggest.

Definitely a staple for me and something I keep returning to! Nothing glamorous but omigosh I love it.

Popular Styling Products