Essie It's Genius

3.9

on 8/13/2016 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I’m on the fence with this one. It looks so beautiful in the bottle: sort of a bright plummy violet with a hefty dose of fine gold shimmer. On it’s a different story. It’s super-sheer, two coats are an absolute must and, a third coat would really be best. It doesn’t dry particularly hard, instead it feels kind of rubbery, and maybe I wasn’t giving it enough time. The formula is very thin, which is usually good, but because the color is so sheer and layers so poorly, the overall color looks uneven. Working quickly with perfectly even layers is necessary (good luck). I layered a sheer gold on top, which covered much of the uneven color and made a nice effect. I think I’ll have to play with this polish a little more to see how to best apply it, especially since other people seem to having such good results with it. But I like the color too much to give up on it. Still, unless things improve I don’t think I’d buy it again.

on 11/21/2015 6:55:00 AM

This colour is truly beautiful. It is a deep mauve colour with gold shimmer running through it. It applies like a dream, opaque in two coats, and has excellent staying power too! It is very chip-resistance and lasted for a long time on me, even surviving a trip to a water park! I have seen this colour described as 'violet' however, I do believe that the red undertone makes it more mauve than violet. The finish is shiny and glossy, and the shimmer is noticeable but still subtle enough to wear to work or a more conservative event. This is a gorgeous Autumnal colour, but the gold shimmer also means that it could work very well as a Summer shade also. The quality is excellent, as I have found with almost all my Essie polishes, and I am so glad I picked up this shade. It is elegant and very beautiful, particularly up close. I would definitely suggest you add this colour to your collection if you are a fan of Autumnal shades or of shimmer... In fact, I'm sure you will like this shade if you are an Essie fan in general! It looks a lot more prettier on the nail than in the bottle.

To Read all 19 Reviews, Login or Join

I'm wearing this color right now and I cannot stop looking at my nails! It is such a gorgeous color and I'm so glad I found it! I got it on clearance for $5 last year and I consider myself lucky finding such a beautiful color for a great price.

The application is very nice and smooth, it's not too thick nor is it too thin. It's just perfect. The color on my nails looks exactly like it does in the bottle. I have three coats on, even though you don't need to, because I wanted the color a little darker.

GREAT JOB ESSIE!!! :)

on 11/20/2012 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not my favorite polish ever, but I can't find anything wrong with it aside from the fact that I barely reach for it.

The formula is fantastic, one of the best from Essie that I've seen - it's thin but not runny, and the consistency is a bit like a jelly polish. The color is a shimmery, medium-deep eggplant violet with a semi-jelly finish, although it's opaque in 2 coats. (When you tilt your fingers, it will look noticeably darker out of the light and noticeably more violet in the light.) In the bottle, the color seems to have a gold glitter duochrome, but this is pretty much invisible on my fingers and gives the purple more of a muted look. Personally, I wish the purple was a bit more vibrant, but the dense amount of shimmer in it does it make very pretty both indoors and outdoors.

Thankfully, it's not a very "loud" polish so I feel safe wearing this to work. For those of you with extensive collections of violet or purple polishes may want to skip this one since it's not the most interesting or unique polish out there.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

gorgeous maroon with a gold shimmer. Part of the Winter 2008 collection.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was looking for a few new Autumn nail colors, and came across this one. As soon as I swatched I decided it would be great all year round. On my naturally tan (olive-yellow Asian skin), it's a pretty "red grape" color. (Some say purple grape, but tomato-tomahto). It has a hint of sparkle, but it's very very subtle. Looks good on fingers and toes (which are slightly more tan at the moment). The consistency wasn't bad in my humble opinion. My mani was opaque with two coats. Not streaky; not too thin; not too thick (but maybe that was just my batch). Overall, I quite like it. Happy to have it in my collection!

on 5/5/2011 5:31:00 PM

i really wish this color was more like it looks in the bottle...for spring/summer i feel it dries a little on the cranberry side so i think it would make for a great winter color! it was hot hot hot outside yesterday when i painted them so it dried kind of funky for me...will have to try again with more time

on 5/5/2011 12:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I loved this polish in the bottle, but not on my nails. The formula is terrible -- thick/gloopy and then streaky once applied. It chipped after 2 days, even with an expensive base and top coat. Unfortunately, Im still searching for an Essie nail polish that I like.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The precise description of this color: The base color is a true mid tone grape purple and the effect is copper shimmer. Two coats and you will get a saturated color. I agree with other reveiwers on the consistency of this polish, it does go on goopy and thick. But, just work fast with thin layers and it will not be an issue. I experienced no streaks when applying this. I do enjoy this color because it is suitable for all seasons - not too festive and bright and not too goth and dark. The warm copper shimmer really puts a spin on the cool tone purple which makes this color unique in my book.

on 4/10/2011 10:10:00 AM

Love this! A great pinkish-purple with gold flecks, try it, just don't be surprised that it's purple! Works great with my fair skin tone. If I had named this polish I would've called it 'Roller Disco'! Can't wait to wear it again!

Popular Polishes