MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 1/6/2017 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a student, so I'm a big believer in drug store makeup and dupes, but for the MAC studio finish concealer I make an exception. I have never found another concealer (and I have tried many) that conceals as well, lasts as long, and does not crease. It is expensive, but I use concealer daily on my undereyes, eye lids and brow bone (to hide veins/redness), and blemishes, and this stuff lasts well over a year. A friend of mine got me my first tub of this (I have since repurchased) and she got me NW20, which I never would have chosen because I am very fair, but the pink/orange understones actually mask dark undereye circles amazingly and it is not too orange to be used on the face to cover blemishes. I am also extremely dry so I often have issues with concealers grabbing at dry patches and seperating, but not with this one, which I love. Oh and SPF 35? Yes please. I would definitely recommend this product. To me concealer is one of those things that it's okay to splurge on because I wear it every day and really it 'sets the tone' for my entire face and any other makeup I wear (if that makes sense!). The packaging also makes it very easy to get the desired amount of product out with no waste. My only complaint is that when you get very low on it it is harder to scrape off the side corners with your fingers, but a brush could be used!
Also a tip: since this is a solid it can get a bit stiff in the pot, I find resting my ring finger on it (I apply with clean fingers anyways) really warms it up and makes it easier to work with!

on 5/24/2016 12:12:00 PM

This is one of the first concealers I really used and was one of my first MAC purchases so I loved it when I was 18. But now, with so many other options out there I'm not really a fan. I don't remember the color but it has a slight orange tint to it. I have quite a bit left and I use it to carve my eyebrows after I fill them in and will use it to conceal some redness around the nose and blemishes when I'm in a hurry to get ready in the morning for work. I noticed that as opposed to before, again it looks kind of orange-y around my brows and I don't think it's the best. True you do get a lot of product but it's just meh. Also, I think I dropped the package so the plastic part popped out and I have to be careful not to drop it when I open it and place it carefully back when closing. In all it's decent and I'll use up but won't repurchase.

on 5/24/2016 3:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used to use this to cover blemishes as I'm quite prone to break outs, but it Cakes and oxidises throughout the day, clings to my peach fuzz and looks very unnatural :( although it is very full coverage. It's very long wearing and also contains SPF which is always a plus for me! I only gave one lipstick for packaging as the lid cracked and the clear plastic circle with 'MAC' written on it fell off. Now the product has no lid and I've had to store it specially so that the product doesn't dry out.. To me this is an expensive product as I've tried drugstore concealers that have performed better. At the moment I'm using it as an eyeshadow base because I have no other use for it, but as an eyeshadow base I found it works quite well and keeps my eyelids from becoming oily. You get a lot of product in this little tub. I just see no real purpose to buy this again because there are a lot of cheaper products that look a lot better on the skin!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I had this but I did not like this. I mainly need concealer for undereyes but it looked very unnatural. For other areas it is okay. Mostly I do not like the cover sticks or concealers that have this thick waxy texture. I also did not lke Bobbi Brown Corrector which is softer and oilier than this. I actually prefer Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage to both of these. In my opinion MAC is even drier than Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage. Bobbi Brown is the softest one of the three.

At first, I loved this concealer. I get redness around my cheekbones, underneath my nostrils, underneath my lips and on the tip of my nose. This concealer was fantastic for masking that redness, applied on top of foundation/tinted moisturiser and underneath a setting powder.

HOWEVER!

There is HEAPS of product in the little tubs meaning that the concealer will last a LONG time. I have had this for about 7 months and now the product is starting to dry out quite a lot. I sometimes get quite dry skin in the aforementioned red-zoned areas and in recent months I've noticed this concealer exacerbating that problem SO much more, which is really unfortunate :(

I also am starting to dislike the thickness of the texture as it feels quite laborious to get enough product warmed up and creamy now. Which is a shame, because I really really did like this concealer, but now I think I may have to abandon what's left and try something new.

ALSO: this may just be my clumsiness but the little clear plastic window fell out of the top of the packaging... this may be contributing to the product drying out.

on 1/1/2016 2:24:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this concealer until now because I adore it. I've repurchased it sooo many times. I use it to conceal red spots and it works a treat. It stays on for hours and hours and I hardly ever need to reapply it during the day. I wouldn't use it to cover dark circles though, but for everything else it's brilliant.

I'm sure this is exactly the same as double wear stay in place concealer which I also use.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this concealer! I have very dark circles and this concealer is the only one I've found that can cover them completely. It's a little on the drier side, so I feel it works best if you warm it with your fingers and use it over moisturizer. Also, even though it is a little pricey and the pot is tiny, one pot has lasted me 3 years with everyday use. My only complaint about this concealer is that it creases a lot, but setting it with powder fixes that for the most part. Other than that, it really is a lovely concealer. It is very high coverage and lasts all day. My HG concealer. Definitely recommend for dark circles!

on 2/1/2015 1:47:00 PM

I've been using a pot of this in NW20 as the core ingredient in my makeup routine for 4 to 5 years now. I have had (though it's improved quite a bit with peel products), a lot of hyperpigmentation from acne breakouts. The marks proved so difficult to cover with all of the makeup that I tried.

So years ago I went to MAC with a bare face (not fun, let me tell you) and asked them to color match a concealer to me. After going through many shades, they found that NW20 did the best job of matching to my underlying skin tone and covering up the acne marks. I was actually amazed at just how much it seemed to erase the redness.

Now I use this right after my morning moisturizer to conceal any old marks or active blemishes. I use a MAC concealer brush and try to go in light layers to build up the coverage rather than a heavy layer all at once. I then buff on Bare Minerals in Light. If the buffing reveals some marks that need more coverage, I'll go back over with another few dabs of the NW20 concealer. Then buff again to smooth the texture with the rest of my face.

I think this is an almost perfect product with just a few exceptions. The longer you have the product, the more it seems to dry out. Because the product lasts so long, that can be a bit annoying. I tend to buy more of the product when there is still a decent amount left just because I want a fresh, more moist pot. And as others have mentioned, the consistency is heavy so this tends to crease when it gets under my eyes or around my laugh lines. It also shows off dry patches when I'm battling a particularly nasty blemish or when the weather turns surprisingly dry and cold. A little press of my finger tip on those areas or even a small dab of moisturizer worked in usually solves the problem. But after 8 hours of work where I don't have time to do those types of things, I can sometimes look a bit rough if I haven't touched up my makeup. Nevertheless, the coverage from a color standpoint has infinite staying power. And that's what I care most about.

on 12/5/2014 1:30:00 PM

I'm pretty neutral toward this concealer. I don't tend to reach for it very often. Maybe once a week at the most. It's very thick and can be difficult to blend if it's not warm enough. It can also be difficult to blend while maintaining the level of coverage you want from it. It's ok, but I can't see myself repurchasing this in the future.