MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 9/27/2018 2:40:00 AM

This is another great concealer by MAC. I bought it because I wanted something that is easier to apply than Pro Longwear. This stuff is definitely easy to apply and you only need the tiniest amount so it is great value for money. That tiny pot will last for ages!

This concealer lasts the whole day and gives good coverage. I find it to be particularly suitable for us oily types. As other people have pointed out, it WILL crease under the eyes, which is the reason I won’t give it 5 lippies. You will need to keep your under eye area well moisturized (which most people should be doing regardless ;) ) but even then it will crease a bit. But I can live with that.

Good stuff!

on 5/30/2018 9:41:00 AM

I have very dark under eye circles and the occasional isolated red/whitehead pimple and I find this concealer to be one of the best out there in addressing these problem ares. It is very heavy duty but not too cakey and tends to stay put for much of the day. I find it's also a great multitasker: it makes a perfect eyelid primer before applying eyeshadow, and I also apply a small amount around my lips which prevents lipstick from bleeding.

The main con (and it is a big one) is that it creases quite easily under the eyes. You definitely need to keep your skin well moisturized before applying. It's also not the easiest to apply. You can most likely use a brush if you loosen it up with a bit of fluid first, but I tend to simply apply with the pad of my middle finger as this heats it up easily and gives it a looser structure.

It's not the cheapest of concealers but equally it's not one of the most expensive. The packaging is fine and robust, though there's no applicator included, and I've got through at least ten of these without ever breaking the small tub. I've been using this for years and it remains my go-to concealer but I would love to find something that gives me all the pros of it while also addressing the creasing issue.

I use NW20 and find this is the perfect match for my skin. The shade range is fairly decent.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this since 2005 and hence why I would rate this as one of my Top 10 HG products. Let me share with you why....every few weeks since I was a teen I've been getting acne, just the odd spot here and there but without fail always a blemish left behind! All I have to do to make it disappear (until it does of its own accord) is apply a tiny bit of Studio Finish Concealer in NC42 with a tiny 2mm wide arts and craft paint brush (no you didn't misread that!) literally dabbed on the blemish a few times until I can no longer see it. Normal makeup brushes are not fine enough for this imo so an arts/crafts brush for under a dollar from a crafts store works fine for me. I don't wear makeup habitually but this is part of my morning routine I absolutely never ever skip. It lasts until I wash it off in the evening - so long as I don't touch my face, and if that is likely to happen I just be sure to use setting powder, otherwise I'm good.

One pot lasts absolutely years, I think I've only had to buy 3 in all these years so definitely worth it. 13 years on and one of the only products I could not be without. 10/10.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 4/20/2018 2:03:00 PM

great coverage for dark circles but it will crease a lot if you dont moisturize undereyes before applying this concealer. I rub in a drop of almond oil underneath and blend in the concealer with makeup sponge. Then i set it with translucent powder.

on 11/29/2017 11:50:00 AM

I got this concealer to cover my acne scars and I think it does a good job. My only problem is that sometimes it can look a little cakey on my skin. Also, it dries out in winter and I have to spend a good amount of time rubbing my finger in it just to get it on.

on 5/26/2017 8:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with this concealer. I've purchased it several times. I've gotten a few different shades but I right now I think NW10 (I think this is a newer shade introduced this year) seems to work best for my NC15ish skin. Because of the peachyness of the undertones, I prefer NW concealers to cancel out dark circles. Sometimes NCs can turn a bit greenish over a circle. Anyway, I gave this a 3 because while the coverage is wonderful, this creases like mad. At first when you apply it, this looks fantastic and gives excellent coverage. But 5 minutes lately....you have major creases under your eyes. I have found a way to set this so that it doesn't crease on me, but it's a lot of work so I don't wear it that often. I like to dampen a Beauty Blender with Fix +, and then use that to gently roll loose powder over the concealer. I like the KVD loose powder or MAC Mineralize Loose in Light. Again, a lot of effort just to set a concealer, but it does work. Therefore, I mostly just use this for touchups or underneath brows or something. I've noticed too that after you've had this for awhile the formula seems to become drier. Maybe one day they'll change the formula so it doesn't crease as much.I'd say this is best used for blemishes or anywhere that's not under the eyes.

on 1/14/2017 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I don't like the consistency. It's not creamy enough for me to use under eyes and that's where I mainly need concealer.

I absolutely love this face makeup! I live in a very humid climate and my face gets oily but this product mattes it very nicely and has great coverage. Would recommend to anyone with normal to oily skin

on 7/28/2016 6:06:00 PM

Hi guys!

I LOVE this concealer for my acne scarring. I have been using it for a good few years now. It is heavy duty, thick/creamy and quite dry. The description may sound off putting but I promise it isn't! I have tried several different concealers but nothing compares to this one. I use shade NW 35 although my MAC foundation shades are in the NC tones. I tend to dot it on my acne scarring and just slightly pat using my beauty blender sponge. I apply it under my foundation rather than on top. My shade looks quite orange and dark but it sure does the job! I have tried this in a different shade (NC) for under eyes but felt it was too thick and difficult to blend.

Whether you have red blemishes or dark spots/acne scarring, this is THE concealer to use. For a little pot, it sure goes a long way!

on 4/27/2016 1:00:00 PM

This product is NOT for everyone...

Again i find myself lost in the "hype" of certain products, not paying enough atention to my actual needs and not others...

I bought this expecting a super coverage concealer that could work for both undereye and pimples. Well, yeah... for me, it doesnt really work for either...

Being combo skin, this concealer just MEALTS. For both undereye and acne, it just melts! Its does cover when you apply it to your face, but even with power on top, it will crease or move! Drives me crazy!! I cant trust in this tiny friend to spend the entire day on my face...

I stil use it from time to time when i dont have anything else to put on, and im not going to be out for long, but its def NOT a must have. Probably does wonders for dry skins. After this (and many cream foundations fails) i learn that for oily/combo girls, liquids are the best option.

On a positive note, this does contain A LOT of product (i've had it for years now and barely going down), the packaging is so cute and convenient for travelling and is sturdy enough to not break.

With lasting power, this would be THE BOMB.