MAC Studio Finish Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.7

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool

I've been using this product for a while now and I have formed a love hate relationship with it.

PROS
Long wearing
Full coverage
The product itself has lasted me several months and I haven't hit pan yet.

CONS
It creases terribly - if you have dry under eyes like I do (I have eczema) it will cause them to appear drier than they already are.
Cakey looking/ drying if it's on your face for long periods of time.
Packaging is a bit flimsy - The plastic transparent circle keeps popping out.

If you do have dry skin, it's best to use this without setting powder as it will make you look incredibly dry. The coverage is great and so is the wear so I will admit that I don't mind using the product. Using a hydrating setting spray after application helps with the dryness. I feel that those who don't have dry skin will appreciate this product more.

on 1/6/2017 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a student, so I'm a big believer in drug store makeup and dupes, but for the MAC studio finish concealer I make an exception. I have never found another concealer (and I have tried many) that conceals as well, lasts as long, and does not crease. It is expensive, but I use concealer daily on my undereyes, eye lids and brow bone (to hide veins/redness), and blemishes, and this stuff lasts well over a year. A friend of mine got me my first tub of this (I have since repurchased) and she got me NW20, which I never would have chosen because I am very fair, but the pink/orange understones actually mask dark undereye circles amazingly and it is not too orange to be used on the face to cover blemishes. I am also extremely dry so I often have issues with concealers grabbing at dry patches and seperating, but not with this one, which I love. Oh and SPF 35? Yes please. I would definitely recommend this product. To me concealer is one of those things that it's okay to splurge on because I wear it every day and really it 'sets the tone' for my entire face and any other makeup I wear (if that makes sense!). The packaging also makes it very easy to get the desired amount of product out with no waste. My only complaint is that when you get very low on it it is harder to scrape off the side corners with your fingers, but a brush could be used!
Also a tip: since this is a solid it can get a bit stiff in the pot, I find resting my ring finger on it (I apply with clean fingers anyways) really warms it up and makes it easier to work with!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I don't remember what made me buy this color but I'm glad I did. It covers everything.. for real! It's very creamy, I like to keep it in a rather warm room because I noticed that cream products work better and blend much easier when they are exposed to a bit of heat. If you struggle with a few blemishes here and there then this will cover them up easily, even if you have scars or tattoos that u wouldn't want to expose then you can put a bit of effort, set with powder and you're good to go. I don't like this as an under eye concealer because it does slightly settle into fine lines but if you don't have another choice then you can set it with a powder and make it work. I really like how small it is because it's so easy to throw in the purse for later touch-ups which I rarely ever feel the need to do but don't be fooled because it might be small but you do get a ton of product that will last you a very long time and you really only need the tiniest bit because it's so full coverage that it's unnecessary to pack on a lot. The price is pretty fair for a high-end mac concealer.

on 6/12/2014 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This concealer has good coverage, it hides most of the purpleness under my eyes and gives it a natural look. It's very creamy and easy to blend. The only downside to this product is that it creases. I have defined lines under my eyes and the concealer always gathers in them. But I haven't found any concealer that doesn't crease so all in all this is a good concealer.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Maybe just my problem, I have very bad circle and nars radiant concealer has much more coverage than mac studio finish :/ I don't think it's that full coverage as most people say

on 12/31/2012 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

PLEASE take all the comments about this concealer performing poorly as an under-eye concealer seriously.

I bought my own Studio Finish concealer in mid November 2012. The MUA I had was great- she expertly applied SF concealer in NW45 to cover the hyperpigmentation around my mouth and left side of my forehead, applied Studio Sculpt liquid foundation in NC45, and finished it off with Mineralize Skinfinish Foundation in Dark and some Studio Fix Plus spray. The thing is, she seemed to sort of ignore my request for her to put some SF concealer under my eyes (she dabbed a tiny bit there)- I wondered what that was all about. When I went on vacation to my parents' home country (tropical all-year climate), I wore the concealer with no issues- albeit my dark spots could not be concealed as well as I liked...

I returned home and wore this out for the first time since my vacation yesterday. Came home, and lo and behold, hello Creaseland under my eyes! It was so cakey- the product had totally settled into my under-eye creases, making me finally look like every one of my 27 years! :S I know NW is supposed to have peachy tones, but I'm not sure this is working well to cover my hyperpigmentation.

For reference, I apply the product to the above areas with the L'oreal concealer brush, which I love. I try not to apply too much, but this is difficult when I keep feeling that the dark areas are still too dark. For about 6-7 hours, though, the concealer does do its job well and does not cake up or 'move' around my face ( I use primer, moisturiser, and a Japanese finishing spray).

I will keep using it until it runs out, since I paid AUS $36 for it, but won't repurchase. Time to stalk the Bobbi Brown booth again...

UPDATE: 17/01/2013: I finally got a Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Almond and oh-em-gee!!! Excuse the annoying exclamation marks, but this concealer does so much better at covering my hyperpgimentation, including under the eyes! I also bought a Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder in shade 02 and dabbed some on top of the concealer, and my goodness! I don't look old like I did with the MAC SF concealer! There's no creasing either- just a very nice, velvetty matte look. Try this combo, ladies! :D Now, if only there was a worthwhile way to get rid of all those expensive but useless MAC products I bought like an idiot... :S

on 6/13/2012 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

The creamy concealer is a bit dry for my dry skin, but it works really well to cover pimples. It has great staying power as it's quite sticky, and it has great coverage. The SPF 35 is a plus point, and I hope that C25 is not always sold out... (so I am using NW 20 now which is quite white and pink for my NC 25). It doesn't work as an eye concealer as it's hard to blend and can dry out my undereye area. Choose Select cover up or other liquid concealer for that. 1 year has passed and I have used it on every other day and hardly have I used up half of it. Good value for money!

Texture: 4/5 semi-creamy texture, long staying power
Function: 4/5 only for face, not eyes
Application: 3/5 difficult to blend
Packaging: 5/5 I love the plastic container much more than the glass one
Price: 4.5/5 good value fr money, last very long
Overall: 4.1

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ugh. I really don't like this stuff. Dries my skin out like nobody's business and is absolutely the worst to get out of the little tiny container. Especially the last 1/4 of the product. It just goes to waste. You can hardly spread it on you face. I guess you really can only use this for spot application but even at that it never blends...bad product over all.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I'll start with the packaging; it's very sleek, as all mac products are, it's very lightweight, I travel quite a bit and it has never been dented or scratched - it's pretty sturdy! - and you quite a decent ammount of product which lasts a VERY long time!
As for the product itself, on my skin in particular, it is absolutely perfect in summer time when my skin has a bit more natural moisture, it just glides on, is very very easy to blend in with your foundation, under or over it, and also sits well on my skin when i don't wear any foundation. In the winter however, because I have quite dry skin under my eyes and around / on my nose (which is where i need the coverage) is tends to make me skin flake and peel because it's such a thick, heavy concealer. Nevertheless the coverage remains near perfect for covering discolouration, my dark circles (they are purple and unfortunately hereditory as I am natually a ginger person) it covers any kind of red spot or blemish and doesn't really move throughout the day.
For the price, I think it's an amazing product and I will continue to purchase it :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

pros:
- thick so easily covers blemishes and red patches on skin
- can be used to cover undereye circles if used carefully and not caked on
- i've been using it around my nose and over blemishes for at least 3 months and barely a dent in the product. i can tell it will last me at least a year!
- one of the best concealers i've ever tried

cons:
- if blended too much on blemishes, it won't stay on top of a raised bump or pimple to cover the redness or the whole spot

additional comments:
- some may complain on the price for $20 for a little pot of this, but its lasting me forever and will for much longer. and hey its MAC so the price isn't bad at all if you think about it.