MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 5/26/2017 8:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with this concealer. I've purchased it several times. I've gotten a few different shades but I right now I think NW10 (I think this is a newer shade introduced this year) seems to work best for my NC15ish skin. Because of the peachyness of the undertones, I prefer NW concealers to cancel out dark circles. Sometimes NCs can turn a bit greenish over a circle. Anyway, I gave this a 3 because while the coverage is wonderful, this creases like mad. At first when you apply it, this looks fantastic and gives excellent coverage. But 5 minutes lately....you have major creases under your eyes. I have found a way to set this so that it doesn't crease on me, but it's a lot of work so I don't wear it that often. I like to dampen a Beauty Blender with Fix +, and then use that to gently roll loose powder over the concealer. I like the KVD loose powder or MAC Mineralize Loose in Light. Again, a lot of effort just to set a concealer, but it does work. Therefore, I mostly just use this for touchups or underneath brows or something. I've noticed too that after you've had this for awhile the formula seems to become drier. Maybe one day they'll change the formula so it doesn't crease as much.I'd say this is best used for blemishes or anywhere that's not under the eyes.

on 1/31/2017 4:50:00 AM

Before I purchased this product, I was well aware that I could not use it for under eye coverage as it was meant to be a blemish concealer.

I went ahead and purchased it in NC20 and for the most basic of blemishes, dark spots and acne scars it works. However, it just works and does not really blow me away. It's biggest strength is probably the fact that it lasts long and requires just an ample amount to cover a mark, however, I do not recommend this product if you have fairly good skin.

I felt that I was not able to utilize this product to the best of its abilities as it just did not match my skin type needs. As I get older, I now realize the importance of buying makeup products that fit not only your skin tone but as well as your skin TYPE. This does not work well with dry skin and tends to look cakey when I use around my nose or mouth. I do get it to work by applying a small amount of Vaseline on the outlines of my lip area or a facial oil used as a primer before hand. On its own however, this just seems way too dry for me.

Right now, I don't really use it to cover up my marks as I don't have major problem areas. I do however find it particularly useful to carve out my brows and provide me an "Instagram" type of brow. I have also tried it as an eyeshadow primer and it has worked okay for me as well.

Would not repurchase this as I have discovered better products that can do a better job.

on 1/12/2017 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is my favourite all-round concealer, I use it to cover blemishes, redness, discoloration and any other random imperfections. The only part of my face where I prefer something else is under my eyes, where I have some seriously dark circles going on. (I'm not sleep deprived, it's genetic.)

(Sidenote: I never expect a concealer to perform well for all purposes. I want a blemish concealer and an under-eye concealer to do completely different things: I want my under-eye concealer to have fairly good coverage, be as moisturizing as possible without creasing, and preferably have a very very subtle brightening effect. I want my blemish concealer to be as pigmented as possible and dry enough to stay put all day, and I don't want it to reflect any light because I'm not a Cullen and my pimples are not supposed to sparkle. I can't imagine what magical face product could transform itself to do all of the above.)

PROS:
• I have yet to find something on my face that this cannot cover. I have the small single pot in NC15 and the duo version in NW10/NC20. Sometimes a particularly angry pimple will require two layers, but I've never needed more than that.
• Shade range is excellent.
• Versatility! As I mentioned I don't put this underneath my eyes, but I use it for everything else. It's just as easy to spread over areas with redness as it is to pat onto a blemish. I prefer to apply it with my hands, I find that "melting" the product slightly between my (warm) fingers makes it easier to work with. But a small, dense brush is good too.
• The price is absolutely reasonable. Where I live, I pay 21 euros plus shipping for this online and I am happy to do that for two reasons: 1) It makes my face look so much better, it's 100% worth it, and 2) you won't find a drugstore concealer in stores here for under 15 euros anyway. Might as well pay a little more for much better quality.
• Dry enough so that it won't transfer or disappear during the day. Wherever I apply this stuff in the morning, it's still there in the evening.
• Packaging is fine, but don't leave it open, not even for short amounts of time. If you do, you'll get dust and stuff in it over time and you'll need to wipe that crap away with a tissue or something and waste precious product in the process and then you'll get all depressed over having to purchase a new one much too soon. Just keep it closed.

CONS:
• None that I can think of.

on 1/6/2017 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a student, so I'm a big believer in drug store makeup and dupes, but for the MAC studio finish concealer I make an exception. I have never found another concealer (and I have tried many) that conceals as well, lasts as long, and does not crease. It is expensive, but I use concealer daily on my undereyes, eye lids and brow bone (to hide veins/redness), and blemishes, and this stuff lasts well over a year. A friend of mine got me my first tub of this (I have since repurchased) and she got me NW20, which I never would have chosen because I am very fair, but the pink/orange understones actually mask dark undereye circles amazingly and it is not too orange to be used on the face to cover blemishes. I am also extremely dry so I often have issues with concealers grabbing at dry patches and seperating, but not with this one, which I love. Oh and SPF 35? Yes please. I would definitely recommend this product. To me concealer is one of those things that it's okay to splurge on because I wear it every day and really it 'sets the tone' for my entire face and any other makeup I wear (if that makes sense!). The packaging also makes it very easy to get the desired amount of product out with no waste. My only complaint is that when you get very low on it it is harder to scrape off the side corners with your fingers, but a brush could be used!
Also a tip: since this is a solid it can get a bit stiff in the pot, I find resting my ring finger on it (I apply with clean fingers anyways) really warms it up and makes it easier to work with!

on 1/3/2017 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a staple in my mom's makeup kit since I was really young, so I've decided to see what the fuss is all about. As long as you get the right shade (mine is NW20) for concealing, you are good to go. I have oily-skin, which means concealers tend to slip and slide. I always use my favorite setting method (baking with loose powder for at least 5 minutes), and that plus this concealer just WORKS.

It conceals perfectly, brightens the under eye area, rarely cakes, easy to blend, and stays on for as long as you have it on (a good 12 hours).

If there is anything to complain about, it'd be the packaging, since the jar is unhygienic, and it gets harder to get the product when you're hitting pan. Overall, a good and RELIABLE product that lasts a long time. Price point is perfect as well.

on 10/15/2016 9:32:00 AM

I dont like this, its very drying and doesnt do much for me, its ok for if I have a spot that needs to be covered I bought it months ago, used it a couple of times until I bought a different concealer a few weeks later, I havnt used it much since. Maybe if I had acne prone skin id find it more useful.

on 5/24/2016 3:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used to use this to cover blemishes as I'm quite prone to break outs, but it Cakes and oxidises throughout the day, clings to my peach fuzz and looks very unnatural :( although it is very full coverage. It's very long wearing and also contains SPF which is always a plus for me! I only gave one lipstick for packaging as the lid cracked and the clear plastic circle with 'MAC' written on it fell off. Now the product has no lid and I've had to store it specially so that the product doesn't dry out.. To me this is an expensive product as I've tried drugstore concealers that have performed better. At the moment I'm using it as an eyeshadow base because I have no other use for it, but as an eyeshadow base I found it works quite well and keeps my eyelids from becoming oily. You get a lot of product in this little tub. I just see no real purpose to buy this again because there are a lot of cheaper products that look a lot better on the skin!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I had this but I did not like this. I mainly need concealer for undereyes but it looked very unnatural. For other areas it is okay. Mostly I do not like the cover sticks or concealers that have this thick waxy texture. I also did not lke Bobbi Brown Corrector which is softer and oilier than this. I actually prefer Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage to both of these. In my opinion MAC is even drier than Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage. Bobbi Brown is the softest one of the three.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a solid workhorse concealor. Great for blemishes, and ok under the eye if used sheerly. It's the same as Mac full cover foundation so you could use it all over if you like. Basically it's a heavy cream foundation. You need to set it as it will slide and crease as it warms and becomes more emollient with body heat. It can be very natural; my husband uses it all the time (just the concealor, no powder). It's actually in his side of the vanity mirror cabinet so I have to go get it from him when I want it. Huge color range.
This isn't a sexy exciting product, but it's a great and hugely important basic.

At first, I loved this concealer. I get redness around my cheekbones, underneath my nostrils, underneath my lips and on the tip of my nose. This concealer was fantastic for masking that redness, applied on top of foundation/tinted moisturiser and underneath a setting powder.

HOWEVER!

There is HEAPS of product in the little tubs meaning that the concealer will last a LONG time. I have had this for about 7 months and now the product is starting to dry out quite a lot. I sometimes get quite dry skin in the aforementioned red-zoned areas and in recent months I've noticed this concealer exacerbating that problem SO much more, which is really unfortunate :(

I also am starting to dislike the thickness of the texture as it feels quite laborious to get enough product warmed up and creamy now. Which is a shame, because I really really did like this concealer, but now I think I may have to abandon what's left and try something new.

ALSO: this may just be my clumsiness but the little clear plastic window fell out of the top of the packaging... this may be contributing to the product drying out.