MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 5/30/2018 9:41:00 AM

I have very dark under eye circles and the occasional isolated red/whitehead pimple and I find this concealer to be one of the best out there in addressing these problem ares. It is very heavy duty but not too cakey and tends to stay put for much of the day. I find it's also a great multitasker: it makes a perfect eyelid primer before applying eyeshadow, and I also apply a small amount around my lips which prevents lipstick from bleeding.

The main con (and it is a big one) is that it creases quite easily under the eyes. You definitely need to keep your skin well moisturized before applying. It's also not the easiest to apply. You can most likely use a brush if you loosen it up with a bit of fluid first, but I tend to simply apply with the pad of my middle finger as this heats it up easily and gives it a looser structure.

It's not the cheapest of concealers but equally it's not one of the most expensive. The packaging is fine and robust, though there's no applicator included, and I've got through at least ten of these without ever breaking the small tub. I've been using this for years and it remains my go-to concealer but I would love to find something that gives me all the pros of it while also addressing the creasing issue.

I use NW20 and find this is the perfect match for my skin. The shade range is fairly decent.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this since 2005 and hence why I would rate this as one of my Top 10 HG products. Let me share with you why....every few weeks since I was a teen I've been getting acne, just the odd spot here and there but without fail always a blemish left behind! All I have to do to make it disappear (until it does of its own accord) is apply a tiny bit of Studio Finish Concealer in NC42 with a tiny 2mm wide arts and craft paint brush (no you didn't misread that!) literally dabbed on the blemish a few times until I can no longer see it. Normal makeup brushes are not fine enough for this imo so an arts/crafts brush for under a dollar from a crafts store works fine for me. I don't wear makeup habitually but this is part of my morning routine I absolutely never ever skip. It lasts until I wash it off in the evening - so long as I don't touch my face, and if that is likely to happen I just be sure to use setting powder, otherwise I'm good.

One pot lasts absolutely years, I think I've only had to buy 3 in all these years so definitely worth it. 13 years on and one of the only products I could not be without. 10/10.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 4/20/2018 2:03:00 PM

great coverage for dark circles but it will crease a lot if you dont moisturize undereyes before applying this concealer. I rub in a drop of almond oil underneath and blend in the concealer with makeup sponge. Then i set it with translucent powder.

This stuff covers so beautifully and doesn’t crease or dry out my under eyes.

I have horribly dry undereye area and creasing is a problem for me with most concealers. I was using Nars creamy radiant concealer before this and it was drying and always creases on me.

I Use a primer before I pat this on after warming up a bit of it on the of my hand, and it works great! The primer i use a the one by Laura Mercier, which doesn’t work for my face but for my undereyes is fine.

It also does a good job on my cheek areas where I have freckles and some spots. For this purpose I use a small point brush.

I love it, but the color I use is nw10, it is a tad orange on me, will switch to nc5 or nc10 the next time

I got it in the pro pan and use it in my z palette, however I will get the pot version the next time, or maybe even the studio finish concealer palette instead.

I set this with my holy grail studio fix powder or if I’m not wearing foundation which is rare, I set with coty airspun.

on 3/8/2018 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My HG concealer. I have been using this for years and will continue to repurchase. I use the shade NC30 which is pretty close to my natural skin colour on my dark circles and on any other more pigmented areas of my face such as around my mouth and on my forehead. Afterwards, I set my face with powder and that's my base done.

The finish is ultra natural - demi-matte, so even though it's on the very heavily pigmented side, it can still be set with a powder without looking dry and creased. It can also go without being set (if I'm using a lot of product on one concentrated area, a powder will be needed to avoid any potential creasing, but if you're just using a little, no powder is fine.)

Because it's so undetectable (in my experience), it's perfect for the no-makeup makeup look. I do apply and blend with my fingers - this is best for warming up the product and achieving said natural look.

Does not crease (unlike every liquid concealer on me), does not budge. My fave forever!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Erm.. Don't. Use. This. On. Undereyes. EVER! Looks flawless to begin with. The coverage is excellent. But you'll start to look like a wrinkley old leaf in no time. Even after baking with loose powder and applying with a damp beauty blender. Creasing can't be stopped. Save this one for your worst zits. It's amazing for that. I use NC42 which is an orange tone on me, as a colour corrector for my eye bags. Due to the very small amount I use, I don't experience any creasing when using under another liquid concealer. The packaging is very good. And brilliant for travelling. The coverage is pure magic.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was shade matched at the counter but the colour is way too dark for me to conceal blemishes, they end up looking like big brown dots over my face instead of red dots! Not what I was going for! I’ve also since found out I’m allergic to octinoxate (the sunscreen in this) which gives me acne down my cheeks. Will def not repurchase as even without the shade or allergy it just looked a bit cakey I feel.

on 11/29/2017 11:50:00 AM

I got this concealer to cover my acne scars and I think it does a good job. My only problem is that sometimes it can look a little cakey on my skin. Also, it dries out in winter and I have to spend a good amount of time rubbing my finger in it just to get it on.

on 11/29/2017 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really love this product! Covers up redness and those overnight little devil spots that come up once in a while that really make you wanna scream

I find this works best if I apply it with my fingers so the product gets warm and a creamy consistency. Covers my acne scars well enough and good for my under eye area. A little goes a long way. Other concealers I have tried do not have good coverage like this does.