MAC Studio Finish Concealer

MAC Studio Finish Concealer

on 6/15/2008 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

If you get a good color match, this works well enough for blemishes. My review is after attempting to use this product as an undereye concealer:

To be fair, I've read/seen many a review before purchasing and many reviewers said, in effect, this is a special occasion line: Does not last hours and hours and might very well break your skin out with everyday use. At these prices, I wanted to absolutely adore this product all day everyday, anywhere I wanted to wear it, and keep an even keel on my skin. I know that's asking for alot and no miracles here.
Bought 2 similar shades for mixing and matching during the free shipping promotion. It's a nice matte full coverage product. The color spectrum gives oodles of opps for creating your perfect tone. Blends well with the studio fix powder foundation. For awhile. This product does not carry me thru a 12 hour work day. For the cost, I'm greatly disappointed.
The prep: premoisturized til the cows came home before applying this product. Tried more/less moisture, primer - the works. Looks great initally. Shortly after application (1-2 hours) I can see a shift in texture; not as smooth - fresh powder down saves the next few hours. 6 hours after application the pure displeasure starts. 12hours later, holeyheck has broken loose. Something about this product leaves me with mascara (which usually stays put) melting under my eyes. Undereye is cakey, discolored and the only things popping are fine lines and wrinkles filled with this product. Nasty.

I also tried this as a e/s primer - 4 hours later I was creased so badly - dollar store jumbo pencils and buck nameless creme e/s make better, longer wearing bases. Bad MAC.

Bottom line: Echoing others, this is a nice product for special occasions or anytime you don't need a full 8-12hour day of wear. (I don't have time to check, smooth, powder, and fuss with this product every few hours at work. Won't happen and won't repurchase.

on 11/16/2008 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm forever on the hunt for an HG concealer, especially something to simply brighten my eyes up or cover the occasional dark circles. I recently read on a beauty blogger's site about how a MAC MA suggested an NW shade of the Studio Finish Concealer for her dark circles even though she had an NC skin tone. I learned that the pink tones in the NW shade counteract with the dark pigmentation of the dark circles and made them disappear. With the pictures she posted, I was pretty sold, so I went to my local MAC counter & was color-matched for my very first MAC concealer.

Keep in mind I have a C40 skin tone, and I had originally wanted to try NW30, as suggested by the online MAC MA. The MA at the counter thought it might be too light, as she swatched it on the inside of my wrist, so she convinced me to buy NW35. Shade-wise, although I did go home with NW35, I'm not ENTIRELY convinced it's light enough to brighten my eye area. It looked good when she applied it under the bright lights of the store though so I'll stick with it and see how I feel after more uses.

The MA suggested I use a fluffy brush to apply the concealer under my eyes (such as the MAC 217) because it gives it more of an airbrushed look. I don't own a 217, so I tried my Sonia Kashuk Large Crease Brush (white handle), and it works just as perfectly as when she applied it with the 217 at the store. When applying to blemishes, she said that using the same fluffy brush & stippling it on the blemish would give the same airbrushed effect. Texture-wise, I love that the consistency is very creamy - a nice change from the liquid consistency I've been using. You definitely need to make sure you moisturize the area you're concealing (especially the eye area), otherwise it will show off the dry/flaky areas. It does crease a bit, but only without setting it with a powder. I set it with my Studio Fix Powder, and so far so good.

As of right now, I'm happy with my purchase. No major complaints... but I will be going to try a lighter shade if this shade doesn't grow on me for my under-eyes. :)

EDiT: Another MA color-matched me when I went back & found that I love NC35 so much better for my under eye instead of NW35. It definitely brightens & covers up much better for me. Unfortunately the NW theory of covering up darkness doesn't work for every skin tone.

on 4/21/2013 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have severe dark circles and this is the only concealer I can find with the perfect shade and amount of coverage in one layer. Very easy to blend and apply to specific areas. It must be set with a powder immediately after applying or else creasing will occur. Once I blend and set this it looks very natural. I've used it to cover up redness in some bad pimples before, and I've never noticed it make acne worse. I love that it has SPF 35. It doesn't oxidize at all which was a problem with other Mac products for me. I've used this for 5 years because nothing beats it.

on 3/29/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Holy grail!!! If you're reading this, then you're on the right track. GET IT!! Its:
Creamy- easy to blend! Easy to apply! (Just get it a shade darker if u want to conceal blemishes).
It stays on (and if u need to retouch, the packaging is small enough to fit in ur purse).
Its opaque!!! Omg I ALWAYS come back to this and I've tried alot. I'm on my third one. And the last 2 points were the reasons I first became interested in this product:
It's got spf 35 in it- therefore protecting all your marks/acne scarring from the damages of the sun AND:
It's got vitamin E in it. So its got healing properties also cause of its creaminess (scars need moisture to heal so y not have ur concealer to contribute to the process??!). I always trying something new, and for me to always have this/come back to it..... Says ENOUGH!!! <3

on 9/6/2009 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is hands down the best concealer I have ever tried. I purchased this in NC20 for winter and recently NC35 for summer (for ref. I currently wear "Dark" in Mac's Studio Moisture Tint), to cover my few blemishes and old acne scars. I can sum this stuff up in 3 words "This covers flawlessly!" Because it's a drier matte concealer its easier to work with, provides full coverage, and lasts all day on my oily face. I would not recommend this as an undereye concealer though, it will be too drying. I apply this using a small concealer brush. Also, since I just use a tiny amount each day, one pot has lasted me over a year, and there's still 80% of it left, so well worth the price! HG!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

My current favorite spot concealer and undereye concealer for everyday, I have it in NC35 which is the perfect match for me (the MAC makeup artist matched me NW40 which was too dark and orange and she claims it will conceal blemishes! Outrageous. Trust your own judgements, ladies). I barely touch my Pro Longwear one, which I use for full glam (highlight and contouring), because of this concealer. I recommend using a clean eyeliner brush (those thin, pointed ones) for spot concealing then gently blending it by tapping with a synthetic-hair blending brush that is densely packed (I use the Real Techniques eye blender brush). I find that tapping it with your fingers will take away the coverage.

on 9/25/2014 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My HG concealer. A little goes such a long way with this small guy. Very pigmented and I experience very little creasing. I say very little because creasing is unavoidable when it comes to all concealers. The only thing you can do is prolong the time that it doesn't crease. Anyway, you may think you may not be getting much product from this jar, but honestly, you are mistaken. This "little" pot contains 7g of product whereas most contain 3g. Boi-ing Concealer for example looks huge in comparison to Mac Studio Finish Concealer, but it only contains 3g. Don't be fooled by packaging! Always read the amount! The only reason I gave this guy a 3 for packaging is because It's exactly the same as Mac Full Coverage Foundation which is $31 and has almost triple the amount of product. But sadly, it is not as readily available at Mac stores as this one. Moral of the story, if you constantly use this on a daily basis, I would say just by the Mac Full Coverage online. But, this is still a wonderful product.

on 7/18/2013 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

this is the BEST concealer for undereye circles. i inherited these under eye dark circles and this is the only concealer that covers them 100% and doesn't look cakey under my powder.
NC42 is the perfect match for my skin & when i put it on it doesnt even look like ive got anything on my face at all.
definitely the one thing my makeup bag will ALWAYS have. :)

on 5/17/2013 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

i have been using this for about 2 years. I LOVE IT. it conceals like no other concealer! i have REALLY REALLY BAD dark circles. they are hereditary so when i dont get enough sleep, it looks even worse! those days the darkness still kind of shows through, but i do have really bad dark circles, its unbelievable how bad they are.
one of the two things i do not like about this, it does crease a little bit. setting it with powder helps though. the reason i gave it a 3/5 for packaging though is because when the concealer is almost done, i have to kind of dig it out. and sometime gets into my nails . yuck. but overall, the best concealer i have tried so far. this is definitely my HG concealer because it gives amazing coverage.
and this concealer creases the least for me of all the concealers i have tried. this and laura mericer are the only high end concealers i have tried.
and my under eye fine lines are prone to creasing. i bought it for $24 CAD at The Bay.
EDIT* forgot to say that i sometimes use this to conceal my acne marks and scars and my acne, when it was really bad. it covered it really well.
Tip: when you are applying this, warm it up with your finger. just rub your finger into the pot a little than apply. this has made it easier for me to apply and for a while i didnt do this, but i just started doing this and it has helped my eye area not look so dry.
This product will only fully work on the eye area if you warm it up first. this is gonna sound weird but...I have also found that if you "blow dry" it for about 30 seconds it warms up really well. and makes application a lot easier. dont blow dry too close of course

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

LOVE LOVE LOVE this concealer. It's not cakey at all if you apply it with the right amount. I use the synthetic blending brush to buff this concealer onto the spot very lightly. Never crease, last all day (trust me. I live in Thailand. It's very hot here, and I also have oily skin.) , and it's very pigmented. Great for spot and blemishes, but I also use it to cover dark circles. Just have to make sure that you already applied the eye cream underneath of your eyes.