Nioxin Thinning Hair System 2

No Image

2.3

on 9/21/2017 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Okay, so I am 25 and I used to have super thick hair. So thick, you wouldn't be able to see my scalp. Women in my family don't go bald but their hair does thin a bit and I stared noticing it thin for me after me going through anorexia. Yes, that in itself was cause enough for my hair to fall out due to the lack of nutrients, however, after recovering from that and having my body be good as new my hair never fully recovered and I figured I may have just precipitated my hair thinning. I started using this product because my hair lady told me it lead to dramatic results. I tried it for a year. The first month I noticed more hair loss, but I stuck by it because I read it cleans out your pores in your head which impedes hair follicles from growing and it stimulated the cells already there to produce more hair. The second and third month were better in that less hair was falling out and it by the 4th and 5th months it was minimal but my hair was extremely dry. It looked like hay... NOT EXAGGERATING. Super dry and brittle and I had perpetual split ends, no matter what I did and my back hair started looking more dull brown. I started spacing out more since I was using it every other day and I switched to only twice a week. That was useless. I ended up leaving it after a year and instead started using sulfate free shampoo and taking 10,000 mg of biotin a day. 5,000 in the morning and 5,000 at night. My hair looks 1000000x times better and it is thicker and regained its natural black color. Ends are not split and my hair is not dry. This shampoo does not help hair loss and its too damaging to the hair you're trying to save. Spare yourself the trouble and go get your biotin and sulfate free shampoo and watch your hair bloom! TRUST ME!

on 2/26/2017 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This did make my hair look fuller and give it more volume but it dried my hair and made it look like thatch. It's about a month later and I'm still deep conditioning and putting oil in my hair to get it back to the smooth texture I had before.

on 9/1/2015 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been using this for 8+ years and my hair loss has progressively gotten worse. I think it was more so the placebo effect for me that thinking of using it made me think it was actually possibly helping me. I didn't use the scalp treatment from the #2 line since it leaves this strange feeling on your hair. It has some hold to it. Almost like its supposed to give your roots more lift with the hold, but it ends up feeling strange and makes your hair harder to style afterwards. I use #1 scalp treatment in the spray since it doesn't leave any after feel. All in all I will probably continue to use the scalp treatment, since that actually stays on your scalp, but discontinue the shampoo and conditioner since I don't feel as though after all these years they really do anything and my hair never behaves as nice when I use the first two steps. I also really hate the menthol in the first two steps. That "tingly" sensation is just irritation from the menthol/peppermint oil which is only a sensory ingredient with no medical benefit.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Please read. Using this is a HUGE regret for me.

I have baby fine, thin hair. Thanks to PCOS, I have some thinning on the top of my head. Enough that you could see my scalp in places. The woman at the salon sold me on this product, advising me to start at level 2 for actual visual results. I purchased the 3-part system. (shampoo, conditioner, leave-in) The lady at the salon said the product is NOT effective unless you use the whole system.

Week 1:
I notice my hair feels stronger, and I am noticing less hair loss. Great! I think this might actually work.

Week 2:
Very little change, but I keep at it, thinking it just takes some time.

Week 3:
All at once, it was like my hair fell out in clumps. Ok, the product says to expect some initial hair loss, and this is part of the process. The next day, I am drying my hair, and realize I have all these really short strands on the top of my head. Maybe this was new hair growth? Thankfully I had taken some "before" photos so I could compare. IT WAS BREAKAGE. The product made my hair so brittle that it was just snapping off. I immediately stopped using the product, but the next 4 days, I could barely touch my hair without more strands breaking. I couldn't use a wide tooth comb without strands snapping. There is so much breakage that it looks and feels like I have half as much hair as I did when I started.

4 months later, with regular deep conditioning, my hair is still a mess. I have broken strands all over my head, creating a fuzzy thin looking mess. My scalp is twice as visible as it was when I started. It will take years for those broken strands to grow out. I wish I had never tried this product.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

short version: NO. STAY AWAY. INCREASED HAIR LOSS DRAMATICALLY.

long version:

i have fine hair (the strands themselves are thin) and thin hair (fewer hairs per square inch). you can see my scalp through my hair. i was getting a pedicure at a salon and one of the stylists recommended i try nioxin. i didn't ask them about my hair... she just looked at me, said "your hair is really thin," and told me to try it. she said it really worked, and since they didn't sell it at their salon, i thought it was a genuine recommendation and not a sales pitch.

nightmare. this system completely dried out my hair. it also really, really tangled my hair. i have curly hair and never brush my hair, ever. i use a good detangler (bumble and bumble's tonic) and don't normally have any problems. however, with nioxin, it tangled my hair almost immediately. combing out the tangles caused major breakage. in addition to that, i was noticing MORE hair fall, not less. the mousse was pretty lousy too. just highlighted the thinness of my hair by making the strands clump together.

nioxin warns that you will get more hair fall at the beginning of using their product because it's prepping the scalp and "that hair would have fallen anyway." well... ALL of your hair is going to fall at some point in your lifetime. everyone loses 100-150 hairs a day. so losing 500+ hairs and hearing "it was going to fall out anyway" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

nioxin also doesn't regrow hair. it claims to create a healthy scalp environment, and that in turn "promotes" hair regrowth, but here's what nioxin actually does: dry your hair, frizz it up, tangle it, add body (the only good point!), and accelerate hair fall.

i've stopped using it just one week shy of their 30-day trial period recommendation because the changes in my hair have been so noticeable and so BAD.

i will go back to my old regimen: bumble and bumble's thickening shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray. oh, and semi-related: the only thing that ever has actually worked to increase hair growth (i.e. more hairs per square inch) on my head has been 1L of drinking fresh-made kale juice every day. guess it's time to break out the juicer and try to repair the damage that nioxin has caused.

on 12/12/2014 1:11:00 PM

reading below, I think people need to realize that the first month of using nioxin will actually seem to worsen the thinning of your hair. I believe this to be the same with most hair regrowth products from what I read. I call it the 'out with the old and in with the new' phase. I am currently 3 months in to the system and the results have been great for me, but I also will say that a lot depends on your genetics. I am not a victim of the typical male pattern balding, but instead of waiting to see the sign, I want to protect what I have before the inevitable happens.

My usage technique:

Only wash hair every 2 days.
Lather rinse repeat with shampoo.
Apply conditioner to semi damp hair and leave in for 5 mins+(enjoy that tingle).
Rinse, dry a little, and apply treatment to semi damps hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia and family and friends have been saying for years that they herad good things about Nioxin, I decided to give it a shot. I found the full starter kit on sale, so there was no better time to start. I was very skeptical that it would do anything. I've become so frustrated with my hair that I lost all hope. I used the shampoo and conditioner and loved the tingly feeling on my scalp. For some reason I equate tingling with it's gotta be working :) It left my hair so soft and smooth and free of tangles. I was easily able to comb through my hair. Next up was the foam scalp therapy. This stuff takes getting used to. If you use to much it makes your hair look like you've used to much moouse and becomes scrunchy and dry. With the right amount in the right spots and by combing through you avoid this altogether. When my hair is dry it does appear much thicker. I wlak out of the house a little more confident now knowing that my hair looks better. I don't think this is growing my hair back at all though. It's helping to appear thicker and slowing down the shedding rate, but that's it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I noticed that my hair was really starting to thin and my side part made it look like I was balding on one side of my head and I had like a receding hairline. It got to the point where I was really desperate. So I decided to try this system out, although I was a bit skeptical. I did not experience any increase in hair loss when I first began to use it. The shampoo has a menthol-like/minty feel to it, though the cooling sensation wears away after multiple uses. I love the shampoo, but my only problem with it is that it doesn't foam unless you use A LOT....and at the price that it costs...I find myself using too little and it doesn't so obviously it doesn't clean well. I personally don't like the conditioner. I found that it made my hair very greasy quickly and weighed it down...but since I have it, I use it occasionally on the ends to help prevent knotting. The scalp therapy is amazing...kinda weird though. I only use a tiny bit (Since it's SO expensive) on the front part of my head. I use it before blow drying and I let it absorb for 1-4 mins. I find that this works better than putting it on dry hair, which makes it scrunchy like hairspray. At first I started to get disappointed because I did not notice any results. It has been 4 months (daily use) and I just started noticing a ton of shorter hairs sprouting by my receding hairline. My hair is noticeably thicker. In the past, I had to pull the hair from the way back and way side and cut them as bangs or else I'd seriously have like 4 pieces of hair for bangs. Now, I'm letting them grow back to where they should be because the shorter hairs are replacing them for bangs. I am so thrilled by the results! You won't notice drastic results, but this system really does help. I got it during Christmas from Ulta. They had a buy one get one free so I have 4 shampoos in the larger size and 2 conditioners. If you're worried about the cost, just look over the conditioner. I barely use it.

EDIT: After using this shampoo faithfully throughout my high school years, I decided to discontinue using it. I forgot about this review until I was notified that someone marked it as helpful and I thought I should update this to reflect my new onion. In the past I never had split ends. After using this shampoo for about 2-3 years, I noticed that I would get horrible split ends and I would pretty much have a rat's nest of hair. I didn't connect it with my shampoo at the time. I just thought it was because I wasn't conditioning enough. So I began to alternate shampoos rather than just using the Nioxin by itself. I noticed that the split ends disappeared after I started alternating shampoos. I still have a whole bottle left, so I will continue to use it every so often. But ever since I stopped using it daily, I have not had split ends since.

on 11/13/2011 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My hair has thinned out over the past few months from telogen effluvium (possibly chronic). I was recommended Nioxin by my dermatologist, and i love it! Im not sure if it is helping grow my hair because I am using a few other products/supplements, but it definitely helped thicken my hair and give the illusion of full body hair. Before my hair was limp, dry and brittle and Nioxin helped make it healthy again. I use both the shampoo & conditioner (system 2), but I also have to use another conditioner - (switch between a moisturizer and volumizer conditioner) because the nioxin conditioner leaves my hair a bit tangled after...overall I am very happy with this product.

My feelings about this product are mixed - i think it really works ( my hair is stronger and visibly better ) but i don't like the smell, esp of the scalp revitalizer ( step 3 ) and it stays on your hair for days after washing... It is also very agressive, when i read it can cause reddness - i didn't expect that my face would simply EXPLODE after i once used the shampoo and conditioner in the shower!!!

But in the end, it works!!