4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

5 years ago

I tried using corn starch as a dry shampoo, but I just find that it is too gritty to use in my hair. I have very fine hair, so it is possible that it is just too noticeable because of this, but I really do not enjoy the texture of it on my scalp. On the contrary, I find this to be an excellent foot powder for use with flats or just in general to stay dry and fresh.

About reviewer (1756 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

from

5 years ago

I love cornstarch as a dry shampoo. Then I tried it as a setting powder for makeup. It keeps me totally matte all day! I have such crazy oily skin and this works so well! BUT (there's always a but with a miracle product right?) I'm pretty sure this is making me break out. I've been getting random large pimples and I finally noticed it's on the days I'm using this. And overall it does make my face look dull. At least when it's super oily I still have a certain "glow". I'm hoping arrowroot will work better. I'd still use this for special occasions but for every day it's not worth the pimples. :/

About reviewer (104 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

6 years ago

I tried corn starch as a powder, and it really makes my dry skin look DRY and powdery (even in tiny amounts), so I won't be using it on my face again. However, it does wonders for my baby fine blonde hair -I either apply it with a fluffy face brush or sprinkle it on the roots, and my hair actually has volume. It works better than any dry shampoo I've purchased, too.

About reviewer (108 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBlond

6 years ago

I had noticed that corn starch (commonly referred to as corn flour in my part of the world) is an ingredient contained in many setting powders. I have oily skin for the most part, so powdering is an essential step in my make-up routine. I decided to use some corn flour from the pantry as a setting powder after liquid foundation. I have used regular baby powder before, and was quite satisfied with the results. It must be said that I am a woman of colour (NC37-40). I was initially apprehensive because I was expecting the corn flour to leave the dreaded white cast on my face. To my surprise, it didn't at all. I applied the corn flour sparingly using a large, fluffy powder brush. It imparted a sort of glow to my face, and somehow blurred my pores and minor imperfections. What I really love about corn flour, however, is that even if I happen to apply too much, it doesn't leave my face looking cakey. With commercial setting powders (tinted and translucent), I could easily become over zealous with my application, and end up with an awfully dry-looking, cakey face - at the height of an African summer. As for its oil-absorbing properties, it gets an A+. I'm able to carry on with my daily tasks without worrying about my make-up melting off. I very rarely feel the need to touch up. Once my natural oils break through, I am left with a pretty, almost dewy finish instead of an oil spillage. Just a caveat. This stuff can be terribly messy. It flies everywhere if you aren't careful. When I'm out, I prefer to carry a compact powder for obvious reasons. I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced translucent compact powder that absorbs oil on contact with the skin. Most importantly, it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I'm very prone to clogging, so this is a winner for me. It's super inexpensive from my local Indian grocery store. I purchase the 500g packet for 20 ZAR (approximately $2). This is sure to last me a good while. If you are concerned that corn flour will give you a white cast, I'm sure one could add a bit of tinted face powder to the corn flour to match one's skin tone. Store it an empty loose powder container and powder away!

About reviewer (31 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesBrown

8 years ago

Corn starch is the ONLY thing that keeps my super oily face shine-free for most of the day. No regular face powder has been able to do this for me. When used over my sunscreen (Invisible Zinc Tinted Daywear SPF 30), it also makes my huge pores look less visible, which is a bonus. I simply apply it with a powder brush, and do not mix it with any coloured face powder (my skin tone is fair to medium and the white powder doesn't give me the ghostly look that one might imagine). I am glad I discovered the magic of corn starch because, at long last, I can use a facial sunscreen without my face transforming into a sleek mask (Clinique City Block SPF 25 had a matte finish but unfortunately they changed the formula a few years ago). I stayed relatively shine-free even after hiking for half a day at 35C in the middle of summer! It also doesn't clog my pores.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

EyesBlack

11 years ago

Another great use I have found is to get a small container, add some corn starch and then about a third again of some mineral foundation powder and 'shake' (with lid on!!) to mix. This is the BEST face powder to stop shiny t-zones! The mineral foundation powder is just to make it skin coloured, but actually I've used just the corn starch before (usually after moisturising and before putting on foundation) and it works well like that too. I just find it better when mixed as above, because then I can carry it with me and do the occasional touch-up during the day if necessary and then it is more like a regular mattifying face powder. Hope this is of use!

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

11 years ago

My favorite use for corn starch is as a bath soak. I use it alone, or mixed with baking soda, plain yogurt, and soured milk.

About reviewer (137 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesGreen

11 years ago

I noticed that many body powders contain corn starch and it inspired me to try making my own stuff. For this I used about 50% corn starch and 50% rice powder (the finely milled kind). I added several drops of rose essential oil, and some sandalwood and vanilla- two perfumed oils from The Body Shop. Finished of with a generous sprinkle of Body Glow, shimmery, slightly glittered pink powder by Isadora. I blended and mixed the stuff till it was smooth and crumble-free. Results? Luscious, rosy, dusting powder with some warm sweetness to it , and a subtle shimmer when applied. I keep this concoction in an old, vintage style powder bottle, with a sifter. It feels luxurious and intimate, and so smooth on my skin. Next time I'll try it with lavender and some other EOs. The possibilities are endless... <br /><br /> I also use cornstarch to make my own dry shampoo, about 20% corn starch 80% rice powder. Rice powder is not as fine as corn starch, and it prevents the starch from sticking to hair. Awesomely cheap and it works! If anyone has more beauty related suggestions for corn starch, I'm all ears!

About reviewer (225 reviews)

Age25-29