NARS Hula Hula Duo

NARS Hula Hula Duo

3.0

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm really disappointed to read everyone's experiences with this eye shadow duo because its my absolute favourite! I've used it for about four years now, often wear it for work, and I find it lovely and smooth to apply, highly pigmented and super sparkly. I get where people are coming from with the glitter fallout, but it really doesn't bother me- in face the more glitter the better!! I did have a bit of an embarrassing moment when I went to the opticians for a contact lens check up and was informed my contact lenses have glitter embedded in them....!! I genuinely would recommend this eye shadow to anyone, it can be worn day to night, lasts ages and the colours are beautiful! X

on 2/20/2012 6:15:00 PM

Both colors are pretty. But the fallout glitters ruin all. I seldom use it. And will never buy it again.

was hesitating if i should buy this duo, but managed to swap for one. despite hearing all the complaints on MUA about the glitters lol well, i have to admit the glitters are really chalky and i hate them! not just because they're huge but they fell into my eyes which is really annoying since my eyes are very sensitive!!! so i had to use cotton buds to get the glitters out of eyes (thanks god didn't cause damage!), and i had to clean the buttom of my eyes. so basically after all this, the glitters are all gone! i thought - dame big mistake! but then i started to appriciate the colours, really pretty and subtle golden pink & champange colours - works really well with my skin tone and eye colour (pale Asian, dark brown eyes&hair) now i guess i just have to be careful with the glitters! i'll try what other gals suggested - with a base.

Nars has done the huge glitter things with a few items now - what is he thinking!? that's the only thing that lets this duo down to be honest. but i do love the colours, hope i can find alternatives which doesn't have the glitters in!

on 5/25/2009 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Ok to help with the fallout you can either keep tapping your makeup brush to get rid of it, or you can use some fix pls from MAC, spray the brush and viola..no glitter fallout. I use one side as highlight on my eye and since I don't want glitter there I tap my brush and the glitter is gone, these colors are so smooth and blend in really well. I like the glitter and I use my fix plsu to set it, and that ensures there will be little to no fallout. Also I always do my eyes first then foundation. I stand by my opionion that NARS eyeshadows are uncomparable and are just lovely. This one is alsoa shadow I can do everday without the glitter though..I'll take a lippie off for that, other than that lovely summer fresh color.

on 3/6/2009 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I went to a NARs event today and the MA put this on me along with Baby Pink and Underworld (as a liner). I instantly fell in love...but I didn't purchase as I was trying to budget and only got some new skincare and the Dolce Vita lipstick...So as I wore the look the rest of the day, my love for the Hula Hula dua started to fade as the glitter really started to get annoying. It was everywhere by the end of the day and still now after i've washed my face and used eye makeup remover there are still flecks. It's too bad -- i was going to buy it next week but have changed my mind. I do love the colour combo though so maybe i will ask the MA next week for eyeshadows that could mimic the look -- without the glitter...

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse

I really wanted to try a NARS product, after hearing great things I went on sephora and ordered Hula Hula. I wish that I had read these reviews first. I don't have sensitive eyes but this made my eyes burn I didn't have a big problem with fallout but one I was done with my makeup it looked like I hadn't done a thing to my eyes I constantly hear about the great pigmentation and I tottally don't agree. i will try another duo. But i'm very upset!

on 2/28/2009 3:34:00 AM

This is an unusual color combination. I've never been able to wear pinks on my eyes before, but this golden pink looks lovely over the other more neutral khaki color. The mood created by these colors is a soft, romantic one that's probably best used during the day. You should definitely wear primer with this duo because the colors are light and need a base to adhere to. I experimented with using the duo as a highlighter on my cheeks as well as eyeshadow, and doing so created a really cool monochromatic look for the entire face.

on 2/15/2009 7:31:00 PM

I really hate to rain on this parade, but this duo is soooo not worth the money. On face value, Hula Hula is beautiful. Pink and golden tan are a pretty combo. Yes the colors are gorgeous. Can't argue with that. However. I have 2 problems with this duo. Number 1 - There is ZERO pigmentation (at least in the one I bought). Maybe I got a dud. Not sure because this is the 2nd or 3rd NARS duo I have purchased and they each went back to sephora. When will I ever learn? Number 2 - The glitter fallout is absolutely ridiculous. Like Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy ridiculous. The glitter chunks are large. Really large. Like pieces of gold foil. I would probably be able to live with it if there was some color left on my lids after I was done applying it, but no. Hula Hula is 0% color, and 100% glitter. And the glitter doesn't even stay on the lids either. It all falls down to the cheeks. So if you want pink and golden tan flakes of foil glitter on your cheeks with no color on your eyes, then by all means try Hula Hula. C'mon NARS, is this a joke?

on 2/24/2009 5:50:00 PM

OK what is it with NARS eyeshadows they are so hit and miss. Well this one Hula hula is definately one to miss. It is ridiculously glittery. I literally had to dig into it to get any colour from it and could blow the glitter off the brush! The colours look fabulous in the pan and what should be 2 gorgeous eyeshadows are a total let down.
I wore this once and after 2 mins I knew I would never wear it again. My face was like a glitter ball and I hate that!!! If you don't mind having chunks of glitter in your eyeshadow and having glitter all over your face then go for it, but not for me.
This is the second duo from NARS that I have been really disappointed in and unfortunatley where I am from we cannot return makeup once it has been used. So it is swapping for this one I'm afraid.

on 2/10/2009 1:41:00 PM

I bought this color without ever trying it on from Sephora.com, and once I got it I was a little disturbed by all these stupid little glitter specs in it that kind of made the product look messy and then when I tried it on I thought it looked a little too light and wasn't worth the money. I think I was just angry because it was 6am in the morning.

Anyways, in general I didn't like the product at first if you can tell; however, I decided to give it another chance and the thing is it's one of those products that you only realize how awesome it is when you see it in different light and notice that the subtle pinks and golds really do enhance your look and do make a difference. When applying it, yeah you're more prone to think I hate this glitter and the consistency overall and this looks chalky, but when you're finished and go about your day I think you'll feel differently when you see how pretty you look in natural light.