MAC Cosmetics Top Knot (Blonde Brunette Redhead)

MAC Cosmetics Top Knot (Blonde Brunette Redhead)

3.7

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Got this on a whim-since I have been experimenting with purples for smokey eye look. I used anti-establishment (an oldie but goodie) on the lid with top knot in the crease, outer V and under lower lash line and blanc type to blend and highlight. It came out nicely, but had to re-pack top knot after blending out because it faded down to a blueish color after blending w/blanc type. All in all a nice smokey look, and as others mentioned-no glitter shows up at all, which is okay on my middle age eyes, LOL. I reviewed that I would not purchase again because I doubt I will ever hit pan on this one.

on 5/8/2011 5:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this color, because it is a nice color to put in my outer corner/crease and it can be applied light enough for everyday wear like this. On the downside, I love the purple and gold glitter in it, but it does not show up on application, it is like it is there to mock me. Then again it is a lovely color even without the glitter.

on 10/11/2010 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought this off strawberrynet without seeing it, and when i first saw it in the pan it looked gorgeous and shimmery. When i tried it on using a 217 brush, it looked dreadful - hard to blend, and none of the shimmer picked up. However, I then tried it again with painterly as a base, and using the 239 brush to stipple it on wet - voila! gorgeous! exactly like it is in the pan. I'm super happy with this, and excited to add some dimension to my next smokey eye.

I recently hit the pan on Beauty Mark (took 4 years!!) and wanted to replace it. I found Top Knot on Ebay for a steal of a deal and thought I would purchase this shade to replace Beauty Mark.
I was pleasantly surprised on how much I love this shadow and actually prefer it over Beauty Mark.The colour appears on my NC15 complexion as a pigmented soft black shadow with a hint of purple and a very subtle shimmer from the glitter that sparkles of both purple and gold. I find the texture to be smoother and more blendable than Beauty Mark, plus less glittery overall. I personally find that Top Knot doesn't have the underlying red tone that Beauty Mark has making it more wearable and versatile.
Love wearing Top Knot in the outer V and blended into the crease with either Patina, Blackberry, or Satellite Dreams on the lid, Wedge to blend out the upper crease and either Nylon or Vanilla on the brow bone.

on 4/28/2010 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

Top Knot is a blackened purple, nearly matte, with dark purple micro glitter. Think of Beauty Marked but as a dark purple, and there you have it. Great for a smokey-eye or as a crease color.

I read the reviews before purchasing this and I still like it, but I was hoping for a little more purple than there actually is. In the pan it kind of reminds of me the Young Punk MES, but more black than purple.

On my pale skin-tone Top Knot comes across more as a smokey black with a dash of purple and the glitter really isn't very noticeable. I don't feel like I'm getting as much glitter from my brush to my lid as I see in the pan.

This shadow is definitely pigmented and easy to use and it has it's place. Honestly, aside from my love of purples, I also bought this 'cause I'm wanting to collect the glittery shadows MAC has, and I felt that this would be a nice start along with my Beauty Marked, B-Rich, Black Tied, and Pink Venus shadows -all of which are glittery.

I did not notice alot of pigment or glitter 'fall-out', so that was definitely a nice plus.

I recommend this shadow if you like glittery blackened shades, but if you're wanting more purple -track down MAC's "Young Punk" MES, it's worth it.:)

When I get this eyeshadow I was very disappointed. I looks so gorgeous in pictures but on the eyes it's just a flecking black with some shimmer. Just a bleh color.

on 10/4/2009 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Top Knot was part of the BBR collection, and while it's not my favorite deep purple shade .. it has it's place in my stash and I love the way it looks. Where this leaves me feeling shafted though, is that while in the pot, it's a dark blackened purple, the color basiscally ends up looking more black on. The pigmentation on this shade however is incredible, and it's great for adding a little more depth/smokey-ness to a lighter purple when I want to just add a smidge more color. Not one I reach for a lot, but it's one that I'm glad to have in my stash when I want to create a more dramatic eye look without resorting to a full on black shadow.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I actually like this eyeshadow. It was used in conjunction with Knight eyeshadow while I was at one of the MAC counters - to create a smokey eye. I purchased both shadows, but when I got them home, I discovered that I HATED Knight. It is an exact dupe of Bobbi Brown's gunmetal eyeshadow - which I could never get to look right on me, and eventually met its ultimate demise by ending up in the trash can. But now - Top Knot - was a different story. First of all, it's not a straight black eyeshadow in the true sense of the color. Contrary to what you may see in the pan. It's more of a soft smokey slightly purple color. Goes FABULOUS with grays. Today, I wore it with Smoke & Diamonds, with Glamour check in the crease, and Arena as a browbone and inner corner hightlighter. It was sooo beautiful. It gave me an almost gradated eye - where the colors started light beginning with the inner corner of the eye, and moved towards the darkest shade (Top Knot) in the outer corner. I thought it looked really nice, so this shade was a pleasant surprise after all! I swear, I can always do my makeup and find a way to get optimal use of a shade even better than the so-called MA. I guess that comes with knowing what works 'for me'. ;-)

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I love this color!!! I hesitated to buy this eyeshadow because of the reviews, plus I purchased Mac Beauty Marked and it just looked black, so I thought this would look black too. I was wrong. This is the most beautiful deepest darkest purple I've ever seen. On my skin, it does not look black, it looks purple. The sparkles are not over powering at all, since I'm just using this as a liner and in the outer corner of my eye, I don't mind that the sparkles don't show up. I've never been able to get the smokey eye look, but I think this would make a beautiful purple smokey eye. I would definately buy this again, but probably won't need too cuz it will last forever used as a eyeliner.

on 1/23/2009 9:45:00 PM

I saw this and it looked so pretty in the pan, but after swatching it, it kind of just looked black. I liked the little reflects glitter in it so I bought it. I've used it a few times and I hate it, it basically looks black. It's hard to blend with and doesn't look as good as I thought would have. I'm glad I returned it.