L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.4

on 11/11/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Over the last few years, I made the move to tube mascaras due to allergic reactions to many formulas and frustrations over flaking and other smudging. I ended up playing with a regular drugstore mascara (L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes) and a department store (Trish McEvoy Lash Curling). Both have their pros and cons. Here is my takeaway on L'Oreal:

Pros
Length!
No clumping (with careful application - not hard to do, but you can't rush)
Long Wear
Easy Off!
OMG so inexpensive
Does not dry out in the tube before 3 months

Cons
Two step process - if you're used to getting up and out, you probably don't feel like waiting around for the primer coat to dry, then carefully comb over the color
Compared to Trish, a rather large tube

Honestly, I would love to get the L'Oreal lash from a single product application, and would pay the Trish price for it. However, until it's available, I can be pretty satisfied with the Beauty Tube result.

on 10/2/2015 12:03:00 PM

I love this mascara so much that I am honestly furious I didn't discover it till age 30. I'm about to use up my first tube and I will definitely be repurchasing.

I teach hot yoga and am in a sweaty room for several hours a day, so makeup that looks natural and stays put even through rivers of sweat is KEY. My personal ride-or-die items include NYX waterproof brow gel, those Revlon balm stains, Urban Decay All Nighter, and this. I've taught three classes in a row and this mascara literally does not budge or flake a single bit, even if I rub my eyes to wipe away sweat. And when I want to take it off, just a few handfuls of warm water pressed to my eyes and the tubes slide off completely! I don't think I've ever seen my eyes totally and completely clean of makeup unless I don't wear any for several days. With this mascara, nothing gets left behind. LOVE

Other people have talked about not using the white base coat; I've experimented with this, and it definitely affects the longevity. If you're just having a normal day of non-sweating, no rain, etc, then you can skip the base coat. If you're going to be getting damp or sweating a lot, I would recommend using the base coat for sure. Also, the base coat does wonders of lengthening and thickening. I definitely use it every time. Clumping and too-thick application are solved by simply wiping off the tip of the wand on some toilet paper to get rid of that big glob of product. This is true of every single mascara I have ever used, high-end and low-end alike, so I guess people complaining about it never learned that trick.

I realize that there are higher-end tube mascaras out there, but a) I'm cheap and b) I have no complaints about this one, so unless I get one of those other mascaras in a birchbox or something I don't plan on fixing what ain't broke.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I buy this product over and over. Most times I do not use the white undercoat. I just love it because it is the ONLY mascara I have found that doesn't rub off onto my under eyes. It is a gel type mascara so it stays put. It does wash off easily. I apply very, very warm water and they basically just fall off.

I am 55 and any other type of mascara ends up giving me black under my eyes even though I typically don't use mascara on my lower lashes. I have actually loved some of the other mascaras I have tried but within a couple hours I look like a raccoon and end up giving the mascara to one of my daughters. I don't feel I have extremely oily skin but it happens time and time again and I have tried almost every type of mascara. I am very busy throughout the day and I don't keep looking in the mirror so I want to feel confident that my mascara is staying on my lashes. If anyone has the same problem as me with most mascaras, I would love to know if you have found another mascara that stays put and doesn't give racoon eyes.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I really like this drugstore mascara because it can compete with high end mascaras. It lifts, lengthens and gives you volume.. Its a real Bi*ch to take off though! You have to use alot of warm water and keep rubbing for a long time. I actually had my bathroom sink get clogged with alot of the tubes after 2 months of use of this mascara and that was annoying to say the least. Be aware of that. Otherwise, its a great mascara and makes your eyelashes look pretty. :)

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Neutral

This is the best mascara-period. I recently bought a more expensive one at sephora (MUFE) and will definitely go back to this one. It separates and elongates beautifully. On sale, the price is affordable and I get asked what mascara I'm using when I have this one on. Also, one of the best things is NO MORE RACCOON EYES! I love that they rinse off easily when you want to like little tubes-great technology.

on 4/8/2011 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wasnt a fan of this product, I liked the prep white base, but it was so starchly white, that even though my lashes are naturally black, after I put the black on it still couldn't cover up the white. Maybe my formula was dried out. I use the white as a base for other mascaras when I'm going out. Also, it makes my eyes itchy if it gets in them, I think I am allergic to it. The brush is nothing special, and the only time I ever wear it is when I'm going to work and can get away with a really subtle eye. If you're craving a dramatic eye, this won't help.

on 2/20/2011 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this after watching a bunch of kandee johnson videos on YouTube. That girl really knows her stuff. Everything I get works!!! Thats beside the point though.

This mascara has a primer and a regular colored mascara. The white that goes on first that gives the lashes the "tubes". Then the black gives the volume.

It's a tad hard to get off with regular make up remover. You kind of have to get your lashes wet then take it off that way. It's nice in the shower cuz you don't have to worry about your mascara making you look like a raccoon.

on 2/4/2011 5:26:00 AM

I love tube/film mascaras. So fave Clinique Lash Power and Bobbi Brown Smudgeproof have been my favorites. But those are departmental store mascaras. I wanted to get a cheaper alternative, L'oreal Double Extend Beauty tubes is not that cheap either, at RM40 (USD14) compared to the Clinique RM75 (USD25). The reason I prefer smudeproof mascara is by noon I'll get raccoon eyes. I was thrilled the first time I was introduced to Lash Power. I think so far I have purchased 5 tubes. Back to L'oreal, firstly it did an ok job, the formula was a but runny and I don't get the primer, seriously it works just fine without the primer. The wand was ok no complains there. What annoys me is the formulation. 1 month down the road it starts to smell funny and clump around the wand each time I take it out. I need to wipe it off and dip the wand again. Such a hassle. It does give you considerable length, not so much volume. Overall, it's a blah product, save your money and get Lash Power instead.

on 1/31/2011 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was surprised at how much I really enjoy this mascara. Usually, I'm looking for gobs of volume, but the length and glossy-black color this imparts is just nearly enough to make me overlook the whole volume thing.
A great everyday mascara to keep in my rotation, and one I reach for fairly often.
Easy (if somewhat disconcerting) removal, yet it doesn't smudge, flake, or run down my face in the rain. A repurchase for sure.

on 11/15/2010 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, this is a very interesting product. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this product. I ran out of my EL lash primer and because I'm strapped for cash right now I figured this primer would be a good alternative. Why don't they come out with a drugstore primer only? I have seen many double wanded mascaras at the drug store but no primer alone. Anywho, I tried the product not really expecting much but was blown away with how well this works. Both the primer and the mascara work well and they make my lashes look long and full of volume. The primer is very white and you have to use a light hand to only apply a small amount, but the mascara does a great job of covering it up. The most intriguing thing for me about this mascara is the way it comes off. The packaging says you can just use water tor rinse it off, but being the skeptic that I am, I figured that was a lie. It truly comes off with just water!!! This formula is unlike anything I've ever seen for a mascara. It's not like an inky substance that runs when mixed with water. It's almost like a rubber or some sort of silica product. Very cool, just glides right off. The claims on the back of the package were going on about the mascara acting like "tubes" that make the lashes look longer, etc. I kept thinking "tubes, what?". Try this mascara and see for yourself. It doesn't run or smudge. It's amazing. Will definitely repurchase. The only small complaint I have is about the size of the brushes. I feel like they are little stubs. I wish they were longer or something. It takes some getting used to. The actual head of the brush is fine. It's nice and full on the mascara side and long and exact for the primer side.

Edit: I still like this product, the only thing I don't like is the primer. It's a bit too heavy. It weighs down my lashes. So now I just use the mascara side by itself or I pair it with my Clinique lash primer. I probably wouldn't repurchase because while it is convienient to only use water to take off this macara, I find that it takes a while to make sure it's all off. I'll try the other version with the serum.