L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been interested in trying out tube mascaras for a while since I live in a humid climate and tend get raccoon eyes easily thanks to long lashes and apparently very warm eyelids. The L'Oreal option was a good match for the price point and decided to snag a tube.

Overall, I'm impressed with this mascara and how it performs. I'm fortunate enough to have naturally long and fairly dark lashes, so this mascara does wonders and produces a full and defined look similar to that of false eyelashes. Once on, this mascara doesn't budge, flake or wither, it stays put and holds everything in place without being super crunchy or drying. I was worried that this formula could do damage to the health of my eyelashes since it's a long wearing formula, but I haven't experienced anything like that.

Taking this product off is also easy, I'll run a finger under warm water and then press it on the base off my lashes to loosen them up and then the tubes come right off as I wash my face normally. Not very many long wearing products come off this easy, so I think this part of the formulation is extra nice.

My only two complains are that the primer part doesn't seem to do to much for me and I find it actually makes the mascara more prone to clumping/sticking together for me. I much prefer how my lashes look without the primer and that they stay separated. The packaging also seems to let the mascara itself dry out, I've pulled out several dried out circles of mascara from the top of the tube which is fairly annoying. I don't like wasting product and if the formula is this prone to drying out, the packaging should be fixed to prevent that.

All in all, this is a great product that could use a tweak or two, but I love that it really lives up to the claims it makes which is such a rarity with mascaras these days.

on 2/20/2011 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this after watching a bunch of kandee johnson videos on YouTube. That girl really knows her stuff. Everything I get works!!! Thats beside the point though.

This mascara has a primer and a regular colored mascara. The white that goes on first that gives the lashes the "tubes". Then the black gives the volume.

It's a tad hard to get off with regular make up remover. You kind of have to get your lashes wet then take it off that way. It's nice in the shower cuz you don't have to worry about your mascara making you look like a raccoon.

on 11/15/2010 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, this is a very interesting product. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this product. I ran out of my EL lash primer and because I'm strapped for cash right now I figured this primer would be a good alternative. Why don't they come out with a drugstore primer only? I have seen many double wanded mascaras at the drug store but no primer alone. Anywho, I tried the product not really expecting much but was blown away with how well this works. Both the primer and the mascara work well and they make my lashes look long and full of volume. The primer is very white and you have to use a light hand to only apply a small amount, but the mascara does a great job of covering it up. The most intriguing thing for me about this mascara is the way it comes off. The packaging says you can just use water tor rinse it off, but being the skeptic that I am, I figured that was a lie. It truly comes off with just water!!! This formula is unlike anything I've ever seen for a mascara. It's not like an inky substance that runs when mixed with water. It's almost like a rubber or some sort of silica product. Very cool, just glides right off. The claims on the back of the package were going on about the mascara acting like "tubes" that make the lashes look longer, etc. I kept thinking "tubes, what?". Try this mascara and see for yourself. It doesn't run or smudge. It's amazing. Will definitely repurchase. The only small complaint I have is about the size of the brushes. I feel like they are little stubs. I wish they were longer or something. It takes some getting used to. The actual head of the brush is fine. It's nice and full on the mascara side and long and exact for the primer side.

Edit: I still like this product, the only thing I don't like is the primer. It's a bit too heavy. It weighs down my lashes. So now I just use the mascara side by itself or I pair it with my Clinique lash primer. I probably wouldn't repurchase because while it is convienient to only use water to take off this macara, I find that it takes a while to make sure it's all off. I'll try the other version with the serum.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I used Maybelline Great Lash for years, until it started irritating my eyes. I tried a bunch of different mascaras and lash tints, but they all irritated my eyes (I wear contacts). I finally tried the Tubes, thinking that maybe they wouldn't flake off into an irritating powder the way other mascaras do. It's true--the Tubes look good, stay on, and don't irritate my eyes. When you want to wash them off, they really do slide off your lashes as big ol' tubes. It's kind of funny, actually. And you don't get raccoon eyes with these, but if you accidentally rub your eyes, you might clump the tubes up.
I've been using this brand of mascara for over a year--I'll stick with it.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This mascara is ok I guess. It does provide nice length. It is a pain to remove. It does not separate well and has no volume. I will not repurchase this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my all time favorite mascara right now. It gives me incredible length and definition. I look like I'm wearing false lashes when I wear this mascara. I find the formula perfect not to liquidy nor too thick. It goes on smooth and looks natural. I recommend people at least give this a try it really gives your lashes an amazing look.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this mascara after hearing good things about it from a makeup artist whom i idolize. The price isn't the greatest for a drugstore brand, but I figured if it lives up to the hype, it would be worth it. I found this mascara to be somewhat lengthening, but it didn't work any better or worse than other drugstore brands. My biggest complaint about this product is it is not volumizing at all. When I tried to build volume, I ended up with big clumps on the tips of my lashes. I returned it to the store and exchanged it for L'Oreal Collagen Volumizing mascara in "blackest black" - and it is now my holy grail mascara. This Double Extend mascara did nothing for me.

on 7/28/2009 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought this product yesterday after reading all the reviews on it. I thought to myself what is there to lose. Well to my surprise this mascara is wonderful. Not only did it make my lashes extremely long, but it makes them extremely black as well. The pigment is perfect! I also like how easy it is to wash off, I was also fascinated by the rubber-like tubes coming off my lashes with just a little warm water. The only downfall is the size of the brush I think it's a little too short, but if they were to make the brush longer in length it be perfect.

This mascara is my new drug store favorite, although Diorshow will always be my #1 this stuff comes to a close second.

on 7/17/2009 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After reading Aerislanne's excellent review and tips I gave this a second try and now I really like it.

I skipped the primer altogether this time, and just swiped on the black side. I get length which I don't want and great volume which I do want, when I swipe twice.

I have oily eyelids and all mascaras transfer onto my brow bone, then flake into my eyes, and drift into an ugly smudge under my eyes. I'm prone to redness and sensitivities not to mention dealing with various allergies. So red watery eyes are a constant threat to mascara.

I notice a little smudging but no flaking when I use it without the primer. So the primer does help if you use it. But when I use the primer, it seems to weigh down my lashes, making my lids feel tired and heavy.

It still lasts all day without the primer, and it forms the little tubes.

Removal is easy if you do one eye at a time--- run warm water over the eye, then gently wash with a little cleanser, then check and see (keep that eye closed, look out of your unwashed eye) if all the tubey bits are gone. Repeat for the other side.

That removal procedure is a bit fiddly but I've ended up with tubules in my eyes if I've opened them too soon, thinking I'd got them all off.

This is a wonderful mascara with a big learning curve but in my opinion it is well worth the bother.

UPDATE: not bothering anymore. Switched to Cover Girl Waterproof Lash Blast in Brownish Black which is a better colour for me.

I still think this is good, but I need volume more than length, and I need a brownish tone more than black. I will buy this again if they ever come out with a volumizing formula in a brownish colour.

UPDATE FURTHER: Nope never again. CG Lash Blast Waterproof is perfect for me. Not going with a 2 step process or bothering with the extra cost anymore. This product is a nice idea, but I've found a remover that works well for me so even the warm water removal isn't the big plus it used to be for me. (Neutrogena bi phase remover-- the one you shake to mix. Apply to cotton pad, hold on the eye for a minute and swipe off, repeat other eye)

on 7/14/2009 10:39:00 PM

I really like this mascara and the biggest reason why...no racoon eyes. I get absolutely no smudging, flaking or ruboff on my lower lid. It stays until I wash my face and the warm soapy water takes off the lash tubes. Also, it doesn't make my eyes tear like so many other brands do (like Rimmel for example) My lashes appear longer and thicker.

Tip: coat above and below the lash with both the primer and the mascara. This gives you the thickest look.

One word of advice...do NOT go into a swimming pool with this mascara on as the water will loosen the tubes! I learned this the hard way! : )