L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.7

on 11/27/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have hooded lids and the mascara transferred to my upper eyelid. It was a sticky mess. I also did not like the shortness of the wands. Definitely a will-not-buy-again.

on 11/11/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Over the last few years, I made the move to tube mascaras due to allergic reactions to many formulas and frustrations over flaking and other smudging. I ended up playing with a regular drugstore mascara (L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes) and a department store (Trish McEvoy Lash Curling). Both have their pros and cons. Here is my takeaway on L'Oreal:

Pros
Length!
No clumping (with careful application - not hard to do, but you can't rush)
Long Wear
Easy Off!
OMG so inexpensive
Does not dry out in the tube before 3 months

Cons
Two step process - if you're used to getting up and out, you probably don't feel like waiting around for the primer coat to dry, then carefully comb over the color
Compared to Trish, a rather large tube

Honestly, I would love to get the L'Oreal lash from a single product application, and would pay the Trish price for it. However, until it's available, I can be pretty satisfied with the Beauty Tube result.

on 10/2/2015 12:03:00 PM

I love this mascara so much that I am honestly furious I didn't discover it till age 30. I'm about to use up my first tube and I will definitely be repurchasing.

I teach hot yoga and am in a sweaty room for several hours a day, so makeup that looks natural and stays put even through rivers of sweat is KEY. My personal ride-or-die items include NYX waterproof brow gel, those Revlon balm stains, Urban Decay All Nighter, and this. I've taught three classes in a row and this mascara literally does not budge or flake a single bit, even if I rub my eyes to wipe away sweat. And when I want to take it off, just a few handfuls of warm water pressed to my eyes and the tubes slide off completely! I don't think I've ever seen my eyes totally and completely clean of makeup unless I don't wear any for several days. With this mascara, nothing gets left behind. LOVE

Other people have talked about not using the white base coat; I've experimented with this, and it definitely affects the longevity. If you're just having a normal day of non-sweating, no rain, etc, then you can skip the base coat. If you're going to be getting damp or sweating a lot, I would recommend using the base coat for sure. Also, the base coat does wonders of lengthening and thickening. I definitely use it every time. Clumping and too-thick application are solved by simply wiping off the tip of the wand on some toilet paper to get rid of that big glob of product. This is true of every single mascara I have ever used, high-end and low-end alike, so I guess people complaining about it never learned that trick.

I realize that there are higher-end tube mascaras out there, but a) I'm cheap and b) I have no complaints about this one, so unless I get one of those other mascaras in a birchbox or something I don't plan on fixing what ain't broke.

on 10/1/2015 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using this mascara for about a week and my whole review is based on comparing it to my HG, Blinc. It is really good for US$7 when compared to Blinc's $30! This mascara tubes your lashes and comes off easily with warm water. It's smudge and sweat-proof, which are essentials for me.

I find that it flakes a tiny bit by the end of the day, whereas Blinc does not at all. I don't use the white "primer" side at all because I like natural-looking lashes and it gets clumpy even when I try to do a thin layer. I wish they would get rid of the primer altogether so the wand would be longer because the handle part always touches my face during application. Quite a bit of product comes out onto the brush so the top gets gunky quickly from wiping off the excess. I do like that it "clicks" when you close it all the way because my past L'Oreal mascaras have dried up fairly quickly! This mascara lets you build more volume than Blinc, which is great! It doesn't dry as fast or as hard so you can add coats (work on one eye at a time).

on 10/1/2015 10:01:00 PM

I've been buying this mascara since L'Oreal first came out with it in 2008. It works really great for me. I hope they always make it.

on 9/27/2015 9:27:00 PM

This is my go-to when I can't get to Sephora to buy Blinc mascara. It flakes a little more than Blinc and is a little harder to remove. However, has mostly the same non-smudge properties. I used the white undercoat only once and it burned my eyes, never again. Wish there were more colors than black...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been interested in trying out tube mascaras for a while since I live in a humid climate and tend get raccoon eyes easily thanks to long lashes and apparently very warm eyelids. The L'Oreal option was a good match for the price point and decided to snag a tube.

Overall, I'm impressed with this mascara and how it performs. I'm fortunate enough to have naturally long and fairly dark lashes, so this mascara does wonders and produces a full and defined look similar to that of false eyelashes. Once on, this mascara doesn't budge, flake or wither, it stays put and holds everything in place without being super crunchy or drying. I was worried that this formula could do damage to the health of my eyelashes since it's a long wearing formula, but I haven't experienced anything like that.

Taking this product off is also easy, I'll run a finger under warm water and then press it on the base off my lashes to loosen them up and then the tubes come right off as I wash my face normally. Not very many long wearing products come off this easy, so I think this part of the formulation is extra nice.

My only two complains are that the primer part doesn't seem to do to much for me and I find it actually makes the mascara more prone to clumping/sticking together for me. I much prefer how my lashes look without the primer and that they stay separated. The packaging also seems to let the mascara itself dry out, I've pulled out several dried out circles of mascara from the top of the tube which is fairly annoying. I don't like wasting product and if the formula is this prone to drying out, the packaging should be fixed to prevent that.

All in all, this is a great product that could use a tweak or two, but I love that it really lives up to the claims it makes which is such a rarity with mascaras these days.

I've been using this mascara for a few years now and it's hands-down my favorite mascara I've used. Awhile ago, I switched all my makeup from drug-store brand to designer brands EXCEPT for my mascara because none of the designer brands were as good as the L'Oreal, in my personal opinion. (At least not for the price difference!)

The best part about this mascara is that it WILL NOT MOVE until you tell it to. Seriously. You can sleep in it and wake up the next morning with your mascara still in place. I also love that when you take it off, it just comes off in "tubes" so you don't get dark circles and streaks all over your face. Makes my lashes look full and voluminous :)

The trick with this mascara is to make sure you put the white primer on well--- if you have clumps in the primer, you'll have clumps in the mascara. Also, work sort of quickly since the primer can dry if you wait too long between coats.

on 7/9/2013 7:38:00 AM

Yes, I would buy it again but only because I still haven't found the better one. It comes with a lot of excess material on the brush, which is a problem with the white part as you don't want your eyelashes glued together. It is very difficult to take off (which is on the plus side).

on 12/27/2011 10:28:00 AM

The mascara is time saver!
It is water proof and cleans out easily with warm water. no mess no hassel! and it extends my lashes as advertised. Some ppl thought i have fake eye lashes on. lol

Will keep using this mascara!!