L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.7

I bought this because it got multiple great reviews on a mascara thread I was reading on another message board. First of all, the whole two step process for mascara is not my bag. Seems like overkill. That said, I probably shouldn't have bought it. I realize that now. But whatever, I thought I'd give it a try despite the fact that they entire concept seemed way too overwrought to me. The results are okay. Nothing earth shattering, but not too gloppy or over the top. But guys, when you take it off, it looks like black worms on your face! it comes off in little tubes. First of all, yuck. and Second, what the hell *is* that and do I want it anywhere close to my eyes? I don't know if it was ever tested on some hapless bunny rabbit, but all I am saying is, it doesn't seem healthy. No to the worms. I continue my search for a mascara to love...

on 11/27/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have hooded lids and the mascara transferred to my upper eyelid. It was a sticky mess. I also did not like the shortness of the wands. Definitely a will-not-buy-again.

To Read all 242 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

While I don't like the awkwardness of the way this mascara is packaged, I love the overall product. It is very easy to take off with just warm water but I prefer to use micellar water or coconut oil to take it off with the rest of my eye makeup. No flaking that I can see, lasts a long time and makes my lashes look full and long.

on 11/11/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Over the last few years, I made the move to tube mascaras due to allergic reactions to many formulas and frustrations over flaking and other smudging. I ended up playing with a regular drugstore mascara (L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes) and a department store (Trish McEvoy Lash Curling). Both have their pros and cons. Here is my takeaway on L'Oreal:

Pros
Length!
No clumping (with careful application - not hard to do, but you can't rush)
Long Wear
Easy Off!
OMG so inexpensive
Does not dry out in the tube before 3 months

Cons
Two step process - if you're used to getting up and out, you probably don't feel like waiting around for the primer coat to dry, then carefully comb over the color
Compared to Trish, a rather large tube

Honestly, I would love to get the L'Oreal lash from a single product application, and would pay the Trish price for it. However, until it's available, I can be pretty satisfied with the Beauty Tube result.

on 10/2/2015 12:03:00 PM

I love this mascara so much that I am honestly furious I didn't discover it till age 30. I'm about to use up my first tube and I will definitely be repurchasing.

I teach hot yoga and am in a sweaty room for several hours a day, so makeup that looks natural and stays put even through rivers of sweat is KEY. My personal ride-or-die items include NYX waterproof brow gel, those Revlon balm stains, Urban Decay All Nighter, and this. I've taught three classes in a row and this mascara literally does not budge or flake a single bit, even if I rub my eyes to wipe away sweat. And when I want to take it off, just a few handfuls of warm water pressed to my eyes and the tubes slide off completely! I don't think I've ever seen my eyes totally and completely clean of makeup unless I don't wear any for several days. With this mascara, nothing gets left behind. LOVE

Other people have talked about not using the white base coat; I've experimented with this, and it definitely affects the longevity. If you're just having a normal day of non-sweating, no rain, etc, then you can skip the base coat. If you're going to be getting damp or sweating a lot, I would recommend using the base coat for sure. Also, the base coat does wonders of lengthening and thickening. I definitely use it every time. Clumping and too-thick application are solved by simply wiping off the tip of the wand on some toilet paper to get rid of that big glob of product. This is true of every single mascara I have ever used, high-end and low-end alike, so I guess people complaining about it never learned that trick.

I realize that there are higher-end tube mascaras out there, but a) I'm cheap and b) I have no complaints about this one, so unless I get one of those other mascaras in a birchbox or something I don't plan on fixing what ain't broke.

on 10/1/2015 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using this mascara for about a week and my whole review is based on comparing it to my HG, Blinc. It is really good for US$7 when compared to Blinc's $30! This mascara tubes your lashes and comes off easily with warm water. It's smudge and sweat-proof, which are essentials for me.

I find that it flakes a tiny bit by the end of the day, whereas Blinc does not at all. I don't use the white "primer" side at all because I like natural-looking lashes and it gets clumpy even when I try to do a thin layer. I wish they would get rid of the primer altogether so the wand would be longer because the handle part always touches my face during application. Quite a bit of product comes out onto the brush so the top gets gunky quickly from wiping off the excess. I do like that it "clicks" when you close it all the way because my past L'Oreal mascaras have dried up fairly quickly! This mascara lets you build more volume than Blinc, which is great! It doesn't dry as fast or as hard so you can add coats (work on one eye at a time).

on 10/1/2015 10:01:00 PM

I've been buying this mascara since L'Oreal first came out with it in 2008. It works really great for me. I hope they always make it.

on 10/1/2015 9:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I use an eyelash curler and have tried many kinds of mascara's. Hours later my lashes are straight even though I'm faithful to my curler. I decide to try this mascara because it was on sale at Shoppers. My lashes held a curl, no smudging, flaking or irritation.

The look it gives is more natural definition. If your looking for a thickening or lengthening mascara this won't be the one. Applying two coats made my lashes look slightly clumpy. One coat works great!

I would repurchase due to my lashes staying curled and for a more natural defined look.

I'm still on the hunt for the elusive thickening, lengthening mascara that won't straighten my lashes!

This mascara cost $11.99 on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart.

on 9/27/2015 9:27:00 PM

This is my go-to when I can't get to Sephora to buy Blinc mascara. It flakes a little more than Blinc and is a little harder to remove. However, has mostly the same non-smudge properties. I used the white undercoat only once and it burned my eyes, never again. Wish there were more colors than black...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I buy this product over and over. Most times I do not use the white undercoat. I just love it because it is the ONLY mascara I have found that doesn't rub off onto my under eyes. It is a gel type mascara so it stays put. It does wash off easily. I apply very, very warm water and they basically just fall off.

I am 55 and any other type of mascara ends up giving me black under my eyes even though I typically don't use mascara on my lower lashes. I have actually loved some of the other mascaras I have tried but within a couple hours I look like a raccoon and end up giving the mascara to one of my daughters. I don't feel I have extremely oily skin but it happens time and time again and I have tried almost every type of mascara. I am very busy throughout the day and I don't keep looking in the mirror so I want to feel confident that my mascara is staying on my lashes. If anyone has the same problem as me with most mascaras, I would love to know if you have found another mascara that stays put and doesn't give racoon eyes.