Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

Too faced chocolate soleilChocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

4.5

on 6/10/2014 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I just need to say it aloud: "I miss Aqua Bunny Bronzer from Too Faced!!"

Okay, got that out. Because I loved Aqua Bunny so much I decided to try the Chocolate Soleil. I was looking for more of a matte bronzer and this fit the bill. It has a nice (minimal) cocoa powder scent. It's sweet without being disturbingly sweet.

I find that the coverage is buildable and I appreciate that as I'm a olive-skinned girl who, despite wearing SPF daily like it's my job, gets tan in the sun. Another thing I noticed is that it's not chalky like some bronzers.

I would say the best thing (which is probably a weirdo thing to say) is that it doesn't make me look 'dirty'. A few other department store matte bronzers make me feel like Pig Pen. For instance, Benefit Hoola made me look like I was heading to a callback for Les Mis, auditioning for the part of a street urchin.

Nonetheless, this is not orange, but I detect something in the bronzy color that makes it more 'I just spent a day at the beach' versus 'I just did some major dumpster diving.'

on 3/24/2012 6:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is my HG bronzer. I have tried SO many being that I am extremely pale (NC10-15). This is the only one that does not look orange on me. It is actually a brown-toned bronzer instead of ORANGE! I feel like orange under-toned bronzers work for darker skin tones, but when you're as pale as I am, you might as well be putting the bronzer on a white face: it is going to show up the EXACT color that the bronzer is. And this bronzer is the actual color of being TAN, not an Oompa-Loompa! And as if it's not good enough, it smells like freaking COCOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG sooooooo delicious smelling!!!! LOVE THIS STUFF!

I first bought the small size of this bronzer from the sephora checkout line - it came in a box called Tan Without the Twinkle and a small brush. It was the best decision I made. I was looking for the perfect no shimmer contour product. I bought NARS Laguna and didn't like it - it was too shimmery IMO. And the NARS Casino was too dark (I'm an NC30). I tried the benefit hoola bronzer it it was too orange/yellow. So I was running out of options.. And then this came. It's amazing because it gives me that contour colour I'm looking for without making me look orange. I only need a tiny amount of product and it blends well. Just be light handed or else it can make you look like a disaster. It smells amazing too.

on 2/5/2009 1:55:00 PM

I'm medium beige with yellow skin tones and this bronzer is the perfect color for me. It looks like hershey's milk chocolate powder in the pan (the picture is a bit orange but its not in person) and smells just like cocoa powder. It is very finely milled and has a lot of pigment so I only need a small amount, but it blends beautifully into my skin and looks completely natural without any orange at all. I even think it would be great for the fairest if used sparingly since it blends so easily, and would make a great finishing powder for darker skins. Perfect for contouring, bronzing, or a light finishing powder in summer. Doesn't sink into pores or slide off my oily face and lasts all day. Matte with depth so it doesn't look flat. Comes in a mirrored compact for $28. Beautiful bronzer!

on 7/17/2012 9:22:00 PM

Hands down, best bronzer of all time. Easily my HG bronzer, and while I have (and love) other ones, if I had to pick, I will always choose this over any of them.

**I am not sure if they made Chocolate Soleil darker recently, because mine is a few years old and not that dark at all. It's got great pigmentation - I have NW20 skin and its nowhere near "too dark" for me. I wouldn't ever dream of getting Milk Chocolate Soleil because the color of the original is perfect - anything lighter would too light.

The formula is very soft, with no powder or fallout, and pigmented without being too dark. It doesn't have any orange-y undertones, so it makes a fabulous contour color. I also use this as an all over bronzer, either on my cheekbones instead of a blush (or with it for extra oomph) or all over my face and neck if I want to be darker. It blends like a dream, and I love that it looks really natural if I want to use it all over and make my face 1-3 shades darker. It's buildable, so it works perfectly for that. I like it better than NARS Laguna (a tad orange-y and its got shimmer, which isn't bad but you CAN"T use it all over) and Benefit Hoola, which I find to be very muddy.

Even though its almost $30 new, I will definitely be repurchasing when I run out - even if it's just for the heavenly smell.

I have NEVER liked bronzers. I despise looking orange. But one day I asked a friend where she'd been for the weekend as she looked *sun-kissed* and she said she used a Sephora brand bronzer. I thought then that I should maybe give bronzers a try.... maybe they are better nowadays.

So I went to Sephora and said that I wanted to try a bronzer that would NOT make me look orange and WAS NOT sparkly. The woman showed me Too Face's Chocolate Soleil and I fell in love. It is perfect!! The chocolate smell makes it such a delight to put on! I brush it on daily with a powder brush over my cheeks and bridge of my nose (like blush) and sometimes a touch on my forehead.

This is the world's best bronzer. I'm convinced of that.

on 8/21/2012 9:00:00 PM

I was so excited about getting this product! I loved the natural brown tan it gave ma & the smell is so yummy! But this broke me out SO badly!!! Its the only new product Ive been using and wherever I put on this product I get a million little zits ALL over my cheeks. :( SO disappointing...

on 8/17/2010 3:40:00 AM

I'm NC25-30, and when I applied this to my skin, it looked like I applied poop to my face. It was an unnatural brown color on that smelled like chocolate. When I saw pictures of myself with this bronzer on, I looked really dirty and spotty. Yet another fail in my mission for the perfect bronzer.

Just to add, If you had this issue as well/have the same skin tone as me, I tried Smashbox's Suntan Matte. Looks very natural/worked for me. My HG bronzer <3

The perfect bronzer! The medium shade (I'm a NC25-30) is not only great for bronzing, but also contouring, it can be natural or layered, it doesn't get patchy or blotchy wether you set your face or not, smells great and the packaging is bomb! And it's not too expensive either!

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have this in medium/dark and I am NC20-30 (depending on winter/summer) and Asian with yellow undertones. There is also Milk Chocolate bronzer which is better for those with NC/NW 15 or lower. I do not think the medium/dark is that dark at all--it's ALMOST too light for me, but just works as a good all over bronzer and contour shade, although I like a good contour so you have to layer for a strong (but natural) contour.

I would not really say that this is worth the money ($30) because there are many other bronzers which are cool-toned browns that contour well. However, I think chocolate soleil is the best of the high-end bronzers because it's just deep enough and natural looking.

It is not orangey or warm at all, it just brings a natural brown shadow to your face. I would use this for contouring, and a more warm shade for all-over bronze.