Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

Too faced chocolate soleilChocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

4.5

on 6/10/2014 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I just need to say it aloud: "I miss Aqua Bunny Bronzer from Too Faced!!"

Okay, got that out. Because I loved Aqua Bunny so much I decided to try the Chocolate Soleil. I was looking for more of a matte bronzer and this fit the bill. It has a nice (minimal) cocoa powder scent. It's sweet without being disturbingly sweet.

I find that the coverage is buildable and I appreciate that as I'm a olive-skinned girl who, despite wearing SPF daily like it's my job, gets tan in the sun. Another thing I noticed is that it's not chalky like some bronzers.

I would say the best thing (which is probably a weirdo thing to say) is that it doesn't make me look 'dirty'. A few other department store matte bronzers make me feel like Pig Pen. For instance, Benefit Hoola made me look like I was heading to a callback for Les Mis, auditioning for the part of a street urchin.

Nonetheless, this is not orange, but I detect something in the bronzy color that makes it more 'I just spent a day at the beach' versus 'I just did some major dumpster diving.'

on 3/24/2012 6:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is my HG bronzer. I have tried SO many being that I am extremely pale (NC10-15). This is the only one that does not look orange on me. It is actually a brown-toned bronzer instead of ORANGE! I feel like orange under-toned bronzers work for darker skin tones, but when you're as pale as I am, you might as well be putting the bronzer on a white face: it is going to show up the EXACT color that the bronzer is. And this bronzer is the actual color of being TAN, not an Oompa-Loompa! And as if it's not good enough, it smells like freaking COCOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG sooooooo delicious smelling!!!! LOVE THIS STUFF!

I first bought the small size of this bronzer from the sephora checkout line - it came in a box called Tan Without the Twinkle and a small brush. It was the best decision I made. I was looking for the perfect no shimmer contour product. I bought NARS Laguna and didn't like it - it was too shimmery IMO. And the NARS Casino was too dark (I'm an NC30). I tried the benefit hoola bronzer it it was too orange/yellow. So I was running out of options.. And then this came. It's amazing because it gives me that contour colour I'm looking for without making me look orange. I only need a tiny amount of product and it blends well. Just be light handed or else it can make you look like a disaster. It smells amazing too.

on 2/5/2009 1:55:00 PM

I'm medium beige with yellow skin tones and this bronzer is the perfect color for me. It looks like hershey's milk chocolate powder in the pan (the picture is a bit orange but its not in person) and smells just like cocoa powder. It is very finely milled and has a lot of pigment so I only need a small amount, but it blends beautifully into my skin and looks completely natural without any orange at all. I even think it would be great for the fairest if used sparingly since it blends so easily, and would make a great finishing powder for darker skins. Perfect for contouring, bronzing, or a light finishing powder in summer. Doesn't sink into pores or slide off my oily face and lasts all day. Matte with depth so it doesn't look flat. Comes in a mirrored compact for $28. Beautiful bronzer!

on 12/10/2017 8:25:00 AM

I really wanted a change in bronzer as I've been using Hoola since 2003! I am so glad I bought this, it's brilliant, very natural looking and has a wonderful smell. I actually prefer this to Hoola as it goes on nicely and blends out well, I found that Hoola could get a bit muddy if you weren't careful. The shade is brilliant on my NC20 - 25 skin. I find the price a bit high for what it is but I can see it lasting a while as it's quite a big pan and I'm not heavy handed with it. I also notice that it's not too dusty so I don't waste product when I dip my brush in.

on 7/17/2012 9:22:00 PM

Hands down, best bronzer of all time. Easily my HG bronzer, and while I have (and love) other ones, if I had to pick, I will always choose this over any of them.

**I am not sure if they made Chocolate Soleil darker recently, because mine is a few years old and not that dark at all. It's got great pigmentation - I have NW20 skin and its nowhere near "too dark" for me. I wouldn't ever dream of getting Milk Chocolate Soleil because the color of the original is perfect - anything lighter would too light.

The formula is very soft, with no powder or fallout, and pigmented without being too dark. It doesn't have any orange-y undertones, so it makes a fabulous contour color. I also use this as an all over bronzer, either on my cheekbones instead of a blush (or with it for extra oomph) or all over my face and neck if I want to be darker. It blends like a dream, and I love that it looks really natural if I want to use it all over and make my face 1-3 shades darker. It's buildable, so it works perfectly for that. I like it better than NARS Laguna (a tad orange-y and its got shimmer, which isn't bad but you CAN"T use it all over) and Benefit Hoola, which I find to be very muddy.

Even though its almost $30 new, I will definitely be repurchasing when I run out - even if it's just for the heavenly smell.

I have NEVER liked bronzers. I despise looking orange. But one day I asked a friend where she'd been for the weekend as she looked *sun-kissed* and she said she used a Sephora brand bronzer. I thought then that I should maybe give bronzers a try.... maybe they are better nowadays.

So I went to Sephora and said that I wanted to try a bronzer that would NOT make me look orange and WAS NOT sparkly. The woman showed me Too Face's Chocolate Soleil and I fell in love. It is perfect!! The chocolate smell makes it such a delight to put on! I brush it on daily with a powder brush over my cheeks and bridge of my nose (like blush) and sometimes a touch on my forehead.

This is the world's best bronzer. I'm convinced of that.

on 8/21/2012 9:00:00 PM

I was so excited about getting this product! I loved the natural brown tan it gave ma & the smell is so yummy! But this broke me out SO badly!!! Its the only new product Ive been using and wherever I put on this product I get a million little zits ALL over my cheeks. :( SO disappointing...

on 8/17/2010 3:40:00 AM

I'm NC25-30, and when I applied this to my skin, it looked like I applied poop to my face. It was an unnatural brown color on that smelled like chocolate. When I saw pictures of myself with this bronzer on, I looked really dirty and spotty. Yet another fail in my mission for the perfect bronzer.

Just to add, If you had this issue as well/have the same skin tone as me, I tried Smashbox's Suntan Matte. Looks very natural/worked for me. My HG bronzer <3

on 7/18/2017 7:41:00 AM

If you're like me, you've tried more than a few bronzers, looking for the perfect shade. Out of the many that I've been collecting on that quest, this bronzer is by far the Holy Grail for me. I have a light complexion, so when I received a sample of Chocolate Soleil with an order, I was a little skeptical. Pure bliss when I opened the packaging. The scent of chocolate is to die for! But that's only half of the magic! This stuff is super blendable & buildable both upon itself as well with other highlighters & blushes. It literally melts into the skin both bare & with foundation. Great for contouring as well! Even tho the price point is slightly above drug store, the pan is huge making it easy to use plus a great value. You will find yourself reaching for this first time & time again. As a side note...I also purchased Milk Chocolate Soleil which is just a tad lighter than Chocolate Soleil to add even more bronzing shading & contouring possibilities. Thank you, Too Faced! :)