Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

Too faced chocolate soleilChocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

4.5

on 6/10/2014 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I just need to say it aloud: "I miss Aqua Bunny Bronzer from Too Faced!!"

Okay, got that out. Because I loved Aqua Bunny so much I decided to try the Chocolate Soleil. I was looking for more of a matte bronzer and this fit the bill. It has a nice (minimal) cocoa powder scent. It's sweet without being disturbingly sweet.

I find that the coverage is buildable and I appreciate that as I'm a olive-skinned girl who, despite wearing SPF daily like it's my job, gets tan in the sun. Another thing I noticed is that it's not chalky like some bronzers.

I would say the best thing (which is probably a weirdo thing to say) is that it doesn't make me look 'dirty'. A few other department store matte bronzers make me feel like Pig Pen. For instance, Benefit Hoola made me look like I was heading to a callback for Les Mis, auditioning for the part of a street urchin.

Nonetheless, this is not orange, but I detect something in the bronzy color that makes it more 'I just spent a day at the beach' versus 'I just did some major dumpster diving.'

on 3/24/2012 6:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is my HG bronzer. I have tried SO many being that I am extremely pale (NC10-15). This is the only one that does not look orange on me. It is actually a brown-toned bronzer instead of ORANGE! I feel like orange under-toned bronzers work for darker skin tones, but when you're as pale as I am, you might as well be putting the bronzer on a white face: it is going to show up the EXACT color that the bronzer is. And this bronzer is the actual color of being TAN, not an Oompa-Loompa! And as if it's not good enough, it smells like freaking COCOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG sooooooo delicious smelling!!!! LOVE THIS STUFF!

I first bought the small size of this bronzer from the sephora checkout line - it came in a box called Tan Without the Twinkle and a small brush. It was the best decision I made. I was looking for the perfect no shimmer contour product. I bought NARS Laguna and didn't like it - it was too shimmery IMO. And the NARS Casino was too dark (I'm an NC30). I tried the benefit hoola bronzer it it was too orange/yellow. So I was running out of options.. And then this came. It's amazing because it gives me that contour colour I'm looking for without making me look orange. I only need a tiny amount of product and it blends well. Just be light handed or else it can make you look like a disaster. It smells amazing too.

on 2/5/2009 1:55:00 PM

I'm medium beige with yellow skin tones and this bronzer is the perfect color for me. It looks like hershey's milk chocolate powder in the pan (the picture is a bit orange but its not in person) and smells just like cocoa powder. It is very finely milled and has a lot of pigment so I only need a small amount, but it blends beautifully into my skin and looks completely natural without any orange at all. I even think it would be great for the fairest if used sparingly since it blends so easily, and would make a great finishing powder for darker skins. Perfect for contouring, bronzing, or a light finishing powder in summer. Doesn't sink into pores or slide off my oily face and lasts all day. Matte with depth so it doesn't look flat. Comes in a mirrored compact for $28. Beautiful bronzer!

on 12/10/2017 8:25:00 AM

I really wanted a change in bronzer as I've been using Hoola since 2003! I am so glad I bought this, it's brilliant, very natural looking and has a wonderful smell. I actually prefer this to Hoola as it goes on nicely and blends out well, I found that Hoola could get a bit muddy if you weren't careful. The shade is brilliant on my NC20 - 25 skin. I find the price a bit high for what it is but I can see it lasting a while as it's quite a big pan and I'm not heavy handed with it. I also notice that it's not too dusty so I don't waste product when I dip my brush in.

on 7/17/2012 9:22:00 PM

Hands down, best bronzer of all time. Easily my HG bronzer, and while I have (and love) other ones, if I had to pick, I will always choose this over any of them.

**I am not sure if they made Chocolate Soleil darker recently, because mine is a few years old and not that dark at all. It's got great pigmentation - I have NW20 skin and its nowhere near "too dark" for me. I wouldn't ever dream of getting Milk Chocolate Soleil because the color of the original is perfect - anything lighter would too light.

The formula is very soft, with no powder or fallout, and pigmented without being too dark. It doesn't have any orange-y undertones, so it makes a fabulous contour color. I also use this as an all over bronzer, either on my cheekbones instead of a blush (or with it for extra oomph) or all over my face and neck if I want to be darker. It blends like a dream, and I love that it looks really natural if I want to use it all over and make my face 1-3 shades darker. It's buildable, so it works perfectly for that. I like it better than NARS Laguna (a tad orange-y and its got shimmer, which isn't bad but you CAN"T use it all over) and Benefit Hoola, which I find to be very muddy.

Even though its almost $30 new, I will definitely be repurchasing when I run out - even if it's just for the heavenly smell.

on 6/17/2011 1:54:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was in sephora with a group of my friends who arnt in to make up as much as i am.
I have been re searching a matte bronzer for a while now that would be possible to apply on my EXTREMLY fair skin. It was originaly between this and tarte matte waterproof bronzer. When i swatched them on my hand for the first time the tarte was wayyy to orange (which was the one i was going to get). my friends were like ew get the to faced. The too faced smelt good, wasnt orange, very pigmented. I got one of the SA to apply this to my one side as lightly as she could. My friends were in shock. NO! they all said. This was soooo dark. for me. I asked her to then try the benefit hoola which i heard bad reviews, but was the only matte bronzer that would be lighter. so the SA put on the hoola looked amazing on me! My friends were like omg this is your bronzer, your cheeks look so defined and its a great color. So i am now going to order the hoola.

This is an amazing bronzer if you have medium or even light skin. But for the most pale of pale, there is no way this could work for you if your close to being as light as me. I know alot of these reviews say oh this will work for light tones as well. Well us white white girls know were not light.We are white. If you have a hard time getting the lightest foundation shades to match you perfectly, pass on this. Try out hoola by benefit. Its not as pigmented but it wont look super dark and its not orange at all.
I gave this a 4 because it is a great bronzer, just not for really light gals.
This review is coming from 5 girls as well. All my friends loved the hoola and hated this one.

I have NEVER liked bronzers. I despise looking orange. But one day I asked a friend where she'd been for the weekend as she looked *sun-kissed* and she said she used a Sephora brand bronzer. I thought then that I should maybe give bronzers a try.... maybe they are better nowadays.

So I went to Sephora and said that I wanted to try a bronzer that would NOT make me look orange and WAS NOT sparkly. The woman showed me Too Face's Chocolate Soleil and I fell in love. It is perfect!! The chocolate smell makes it such a delight to put on! I brush it on daily with a powder brush over my cheeks and bridge of my nose (like blush) and sometimes a touch on my forehead.

This is the world's best bronzer. I'm convinced of that.

on 7/18/2017 7:41:00 AM

If you're like me, you've tried more than a few bronzers, looking for the perfect shade. Out of the many that I've been collecting on that quest, this bronzer is by far the Holy Grail for me. I have a light complexion, so when I received a sample of Chocolate Soleil with an order, I was a little skeptical. Pure bliss when I opened the packaging. The scent of chocolate is to die for! But that's only half of the magic! This stuff is super blendable & buildable both upon itself as well with other highlighters & blushes. It literally melts into the skin both bare & with foundation. Great for contouring as well! Even tho the price point is slightly above drug store, the pan is huge making it easy to use plus a great value. You will find yourself reaching for this first time & time again. As a side note...I also purchased Milk Chocolate Soleil which is just a tad lighter than Chocolate Soleil to add even more bronzing shading & contouring possibilities. Thank you, Too Faced! :)

on 10/6/2016 10:39:00 PM

Smells really good. Really liked he color and undertone of bronzer. Had to stop using it as it was causing cystic acne on areas of application. Switched to NYX and acne never returned. I'd pass.