Bobbi Brown Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual

Bobbi Brown Makeup ManualBobbi Brown Makeup ManualBobbi Brown Makeup Manual

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm glad I took this book (and all of Bobbi's books, including the newest one) from the library. I don't want the sort of airy/fairy, non-specific philosophies she seems to offer across the board in the 3 books of hers that I've read. I'm looking for specific techniques, spelled out and illustrated in detail, and with refrences to specific products, even if they are all Bobbi's own. And I realize that products quickly disappear from the market so perhaps 5 years after publication, a specific eye shadow or blush, etc. might no longer be available but it's much easier, thanks to internet resources, to find reasonable dupes than it is to try to make sense of nebulous instructions and nebulous colour and texture descriptions. As others have said, you can learn far more from youtube videos than from Bobbi's books, none of which is inexpensive but my own experience is that they really aren't all that helpful as "manuals". Thank goodness for the public library!

Great book! Helped me learn so much about how to improve my makeup, perfect for beginners and pros who want new looks!

Lovely book I find my self re reading it every few weeks. Great tips from Bobbi

on 2/9/2015 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I got this one in an ebook format. Like what others said, I learned more by watching youtube videos but at least the book doesn't need to buffer. It has pretty good instructions but it lacks image references.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I didn't buy this book for full price, and I would have been disappointed if I had. I read it when I first got into makeup while I was watching Lisa Eldridge's series of basics videos at the same time.

I found that I gained more from Lisa Eldridge's (free) videos than from this makeup manual. This is in part because makeup has a technical component and I benefited from watching makeup application instead of just reading about it and looking at pictures admittedly. But I also found that Lisa Eldridge explained why she did something more often while Bobbi Brown's reasoning was less readily available.

I did enjoy the easy organization of Bobbi Brown's book, especially the outline of the different brushes available and their uses. She has advice based on ethnicity and occasion as well, and information about the makeup world and recommendations for anyone interested in being a professional makeup artist. I think in covering so much material (since the book advertises it is for "everyone) she sacrifices quality for breadth.

Overall, the Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual met the expectations of a makeup manual as advertised and it deserves a solid rating of a 3 on its own merits. However, if I were comparing it to the other resources that now exist (lots of free YouTube beauty videos) I would give it a lower rating.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I saw this book in my local library and thought I'd pick it up. First of all, it doesn't really offer anything new that you can't already find out online or on makeup artists' You Tube videos. I thought it offered good advice as to making the best our of your features and accentuating natural beauty, as I have been guilty in the past of wearing too much makeup and looking overdone. Now to the bad points - I still disagree with Bobbi Brown's ideology that the vast majority of people suit yellow toned foundations, for me this is just not true and many of her foundations are too yellow on me and make me look rather ill! I also thought the section on eyes, and in particular eye shadow could have been expanded upon. It had good advice on what colours to use to accentuate different colours of eyes, but didn't offer any advice on bringing out deep set eyes or anything of the like. All in all, it's a good book to read / flick through, but it doesn't offer anything new. Glad I didn't buy it and had it on loan from the local library as it's quite expensive, retailing around £20.

on 8/31/2010 3:31:00 PM

I purchased this along with some make up from Bobbi Brown the other day, damn that counter near me - my wallet suffers every time!
I've read other peoples reviews and I can see their points entirely (except for the person who didn't get who the book was written for when it kind says it on the front, doy) - Bobbi is rather known for her "rules" and they won't apply to everyone, but like another reviewer pointed out, apply what applies to you and what doesn't, ignore. I really do think they are her guidelines, there are lots of things in life you get taught rules on, but you learn later that they don't apply in every situation which leads me nicely on to the next point... The book is a bit brief, I personally don't think it would be good for professionals because a professional really should know basics which is what this book covers, I suppose if the book covers things only briefly, you can't talk in depth about things hence the "rules" for getting make up application right..
The book cost me £20 and I have to say it's a wonderful book, it would be a fantastic present for anyone who liked make up and wanted to learn more about it, I really enjoyed reading the bit at the back about history but really didn't see the need for the makeup artistry section and the advanced looks - I feel that she could have gone into much more depth about every day makeup application and illustrated a few every day/going out looks rather than how to do geisha make up, that is where my one star is removed - going from basic application with "rules" to "no rules advanced application" in the space of a book... I think she tried to shoe horn too much into this frankly and those extra pages would have been better used on colour charts etc. Just my personal opinion though. Overall I'm glad that I bought this book, it has amazingly beautiful illustrations inside it, Laura Mercier also does a lovely one as well so when this is read it may well end up on Amazon in exchange for that!

on 7/23/2010 12:29:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Quite disappointed with this book, The book bascially glace through the surface of makeup techniques which we can google on the net ourselves. Mostly introduced her products but didn't covered the techniques in depth. Also the tricks of the trade section are mostly common knowledge where you can find on blogs or youtube. It can be a coffee-table book but would not recommend to those who wants to know more about makeup techniques.

on 10/6/2009 6:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I enjoy reading this book. I don't follow all of her advice, but she has some great tricks that make a difference in my makeup. I love her approach to makeup. I like that she focuses on natural beauty and playing to your imperfections. Her models are "real". There is one model she uses with a gap between her two front teeth. It's adorable! The book is rather pricey, but contains some great info.

on 9/30/2009 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I borrowed this from the public library; I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it. As much as I can appreciate Bobbi Brown as an artist and creator, and as much as I enjoy seeing her work on runway models, I just don't think her tips translate to the real world very well. For example, she promotes the notion of buying concealer that's a shade or two lighter than your skin tone to help combat the look of dark circles. It's an age-old tip that may well work if you have the skills of a true artist and all the time in the world to blend blend blend, but has it ever really worked for us regular girls who just need a quick perk-me-up before running out the door first thing in the morning? I also had a hard time figuring out who, exactly, this book is for. The total beginner in need of a complete rundown? The seasoned makeup junkie in search of a few new tips and tricks? The aspiring professional? There was a lot of information that I had either heard before (basic skincare), or that simply didn't apply to me (how to break into the industry). For a basic makeup manual, I much prefer Carmindy's 5 Minute Face, which covers some of the same been-there-done-that territory (skincare again!) but has more realistic tips in terms of what the average woman has the skills to recreate. I also like Kevin Aucoin's Making Faces for something more inspiring. Honestly, there's nothing in Makeup Manual that you couldn't learn from one of the better gurus on YouTube. Get it from the library if you're curious but it's not really worth buying, in my opinion.