MAC Dame Edna - What A Dame

No Image

3.1

on 9/19/2011 5:50:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Ugh okay, let me start. I got this as a gift. LOVE PACKAGING but honestly that's not what you'll be putting on your face. When i opened it, it was gleaming with purple glitter and was amazed until i rubbed some off and behind was some ordinary dark peach bronzer. I tried it out but i had to put LOADS on my face to achieve it. So overall. i wish that it was half bronzer and half purple glitter because you could only used that stuff once. :/ Pretty disappointed.

I love purple in general and only found out about this collection not long ago (I'm just getting into MAC) but I managed to score one!
This is from the Dame Edna collection and I love the packaging but I do worry if the red sunglass sticker will peel off so I have to be extra careful with it.
I use this as a blush by applying a few more layers and it looks a beautiful orange-peach on me, with no chalky feeling at all. Unlike most, I'm not too fond of the way the overspray looks on me (it reflects pinkish which doesn't flatter me).

I'm NW10-15 btw.

on 6/28/2009 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Um...No! IMO this product is for collection purposes only. Pretty packaging, but absolutely useless as a product. The product looks gorgeous at first sight. It looks irredescent and Dame Enda is a pretty gold color with stars. To lightly swatch the compact will make you think that this is highlighter of your dreams. Then reality sets in! The pretty colors are only on the top layer. Underneath is nothing but a peachy pressed powder. It looks very cakey on skin. No sheerness, no shine .. nothing. I thought that the top colors would go throughout the compact like it supposed to. I returned it at once. I wouldn't have this compact again if you gave it to me.

on 4/1/2009 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

dame edna is the ishhhh :) i think this line is so cute, the purple packaging is really different, i love it. the highlight powder comes with a thin layer of shimmer over it, and a "dame edna" emblem. once you get through it there's a nice creamy matte powder, its a clean orange peach color. this is my favorite highlighter, i use it everyday, im a C4 skin-tone with black hair, i use my mac 168 brush and put it on the apples of my cheeks and the bridge of my nose, it really brightens my complexion. i wish was permanent because i never want to run out :)

on 2/11/2009 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This was the only product I was really interested in for the Dame Edna line, but I ended up being disappointed by it : ( Regardless of the reviews here on MUA (since everyone has a different taste!), I decided to give it a shot for a week or so, just to see how it goes... And this highlighter was really nothing special at all. The matte finish did not last long nor didit show up on my NC30 skin. I had to apply it over and over again so that the color would show a bit, but doing so just made my skin look very chalky. It did not give me a "glow" at all, but made me look like I had extra powder on top of my cheeks & T-zone area (the places I usually want highlighted). Although the packaging was pretty cute because it came with its own sponge and mirror, I found myself being extra careful with the compact itself since the little red sunglass is a sticker and it was slowly starting to peel off... how annoying : ( Well overall, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone honestly. In my opinion, MAC Soft and Gentle MSF is 100 times better!

the packaging for this item is really nice but the product isnt the best. I do love the texture of this powder but if you were looking to use this as a blush then think again because the color pay off isnt good. Even with fair skin. its a light orange color that looks s though it would work well but really doesnt

on 1/15/2009 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Because of what I'd heard of the shimmer layer coming off; I decided to check it out based on the matte layer underneath. And, its not that bad. Its not pigmented enough to use as a blush, but its really nice as an over-blush to tone it down (if a bit strong) and to add this really nice, matte, perfected, diffused look on top. It looks really really pretty as a mattifying/diffusing powder. I don't have very smooth skin but where I apply this it looks wow!

Still, in spite of its virtues, I don't really see the point of this product. A good use for it would be as a touch up powder, and one you could use proudly in public due to the lovely packaging. If you were using corally toned blushes that are a bit strong you can wop this on top to help calm it down. But honestly, its a bit clutching-at-straws for a use. That being said, I don't regret buying it and still would, its not a *bad* product as such, just a bit misguided. If the base was more pigmented then it would be a lovely blush, and if it was less it would be a lovely powder.

If you like the packaging, and don't mind experimenting with uses/having a very expensive mirror, then its quite nice. It was $65AUD which was faaaaaaaar too much really, but I couldn't go past it.

on 1/11/2009 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Thanks to the previous reviews I knew what to expect. That is, I knew the shimmer/sparkle layer was just on top and would be gone after one brush stroke.

I did not buy this yet but tested it in the MAC store. Actually the testers did not have any of the shimmer left, and what I saw was just the matte layer on the bottom.

'What a Dame!' , once the shimmer layer is gone, does look like a foundation or pressed powder at a glance. But when I tested it out on my fair Asian skin, it was anything BUT.

The color shows up really nicely on my cheeks, kind of like a glowy orange blush. The MAC M.A. used it slightly on my forehead and bridge of the nose with her skunk brush and that looked nice, too (first I thought, why is she putting orange on my nose bridge?)

I would describe the color as a more intensified Benefit Georgia, if you know what I mean. And the texture is very smooth and velvety.

I am seriously thinking of going out and buying this tomorrow.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This high-light powder is beautiful...but once you get past the golden lettering, it's pretty boring. Applies easily, though I found that it wasn't particularly build-able. The packaging is a little tacky to me. A little powder puff is included, though I found this works best when used with a brush.

on 12/29/2008 1:33:00 PM

I'll admit I bought this product for the packaging. The only problem is that the red glasses are a sticker and I'm afraid it will fall off unless i'm very careful with it. The powder itself is gorgeous. The first application has all the shimmery glitter which was pretty but a little too glittery. After that it just has a slight glow that I find really pretty.