Revlon Matte Lipstick

Revlon Matte Lipstick
Matte LipstickMatte LipstickRevlon Matte

4.5

Ingredients: Isononyl Isononanoate, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Silica, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Paraffin, Microcrystalline Wax, C10-30 Cholesterol /Lanosterol Esters, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Synthetic Wax, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol. [+/-: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Red 27 Lake (CI 45410), Red 33 (CI 17200).]

on 3/31/2009 9:13:00 PM

After doing some research here for a good lipstick.. (I found that the best way for me to buy makeup is to see what brand of coupons I have, and come here to find what kind of product I need, and go for the highest rated. I discovered this after some trials and errors where I bought makeup, came home, read the reviews, and returned a good percentage of my purchase :) )
When I read about this limited edition line coming out, I was pleased to read the reviews of the "Nude" lipstick. But I also heard great things about "In the Red" and "Wine Not?", so I got all three.
In my last photoshoot, this makeup allowed me to EASILY change my look. I started with nude on my lips, so the photo naturally drew attention to my eyes. I then did "In the Red", for a classic smoky eye and red lip, then the deeper "wine Not?". When I darkened my eye makeup and added a shot of blue to my eyes, this lipcolor was easy to wipe off, and reapplying the nude made it easy to start a new look without the residual redness you usually see after wiping off lip color. I was able to then do bright blue eyes with the nude, red, then deep wine lips again, once again easily changing lip color with a clean palette.
So, for MAs and models, I suggest this lipstick with HIGH ratings.
I love the fact that these colors are all matte, as it allows me to pair a slightly more flamboyant eye and still have some color on my lip, and I never look like a drag queen. You can then use brightening powder or a gloss on some other part of your face.
These lipsticks are wonderful and buildable. With a brush, I can go from a hint of color to full red lips with a few brushstrokes, and any mistakes I make are easily fixed with a swipe of my pinky finger. This color is very durable and wears well. It may need to be reapplied if you need a dramatic lip all day, but if you want to start the day with a rich lip and dont want to keep a tube in your purse, by the end of work, or your date, you will have a less dramatic, but still very pretty wash of color. The color does not degrade, so you will have the same color lip all night, even if it is less intense.
I am exceptionally fair skinned, and while the tube's color made me nervous at first, I knew I needed to try it after I had read such good reviews of the reds, and had liked the Nude. Start with a little bit of color, and see how it fits you. And with almost no taste or smell, its a GREAT find for those of us who are exceptionally smell sensitive.
I sincerely hope that Revlon keeps these wonderful matte shades around permanently, otherwise I will have to stock up now :)
Oh! And for those of you who are having flaky lips and cant carry off this color, I found GREAT success with a small bowl of honey and sugar mixed in a bowl that I take into the shower with me. The honey is a natural antibacterial, and the sugar is a really nice gentle exfoliator, as the water and heat as you rub it in to your lips cause the granules to shrink (giving you a finer exfoliation) and ultimately dizzolve. Its easy to wash off, you dont have to worry about getting chemicals in your mouth, its more accurate than a toothbrush (trust me, I have textured lips, I've been looking for something like this forever) and you can literally see results as soon as you step out of the shower.
I do this at night and layer on lip balm right after I get out of the shower, along with drinking a full glass of water. Since water escapes from your lips at night, this gives you softer lips in the morning, and soft skin flakes away, it literally peels right off, no more cracked lips, or flakes that make them bleed or take off too many layers at one time. Use a washcloth in the morning, and you're ready for bright red lips.
If you have dry or oily skin, or even if you just need a simple exfoliater, use this on your face, too! This also provides instantly visible results in the mirror. You can even use it under your arms to kill bacteria and exfoliate to prevent ingrown hairs.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a HG, 10-lippie product: by far the BEST matte lipstick Ive ever worn, from Lauder to MAC to NARS. I am a jaded lippie connoisseur and Im here to say: Try this, and you will fall in love. I purchased it in Mauve It Over, a YLBB rose-pink with a hint of brown for wearability. I first noticed the incredible texture: silky, whisper-light, not the least bit chalky or thick or clay-like or parching (as so many matte lippies are). Its like putting velvet on your lips; the pigmentation is fantastic, and the effect is smooth and pretty, not puckered and dry. I could not stop looking at my velvety-soft, full, luscious, baby-pink lips all morning! It just feels and looks like high-end heaven. Its nice that the packaging is a little different for the matte shades: a silver instead of a gold band, and a more brushed finish to the case.

One thing to note, the initial 8 shades with which Revlon is launching this product are not a great selection. There are two ultra-bright pinks, two true reds, a very deep wine, two uber-pale nudes, and Mauve It Over. I look forward to seeing more warm, peachy shades in this line- but a small gripe- this is a WONDERFUL lipstick and I am super-excited about it.

on 10/30/2009 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I have In The Red, and tried Mauve it Over (which I'm buying soon as I find a good sale) and plan to try out and probably buy more in this line. I'm a fan of the revlon super lustrous line, but this is even nicer.

For a matte, these are NOT drying! Who knew it could be? They aren't super moisturizing but they don't parch my flaky dry lips at all. They feel creamy and smooth and comfortable for HOURS.

YES HOURS! this is a long lasting lipstick and when it wears off it doesn't leave a ring around the lips, it leaves a good stain that just needs a gentle touch up after meals.

They last even with lip gloss on top for when I don't want the matte look so much.

And on my aging flaky lips, they don't bleed into my fine lines around the mouth, so the lipstick stays put, and doesn't travel anywhere. Even with lip gloss on top!

This is a MUST for a red lip look if you want to enjoy the look without that horrible "my lips are bleeding everywhere" look that so often happens when red lips over 40 are attempted.

One last comment, a lot of matte lipsticks look all wrinkly and crepey on my older mouth, but this doesn't. It seems to sit on top of the crepey crosshatch lines and smooth them over. Another plus!

The colour stays true, doesn't change the whole time it is on the lip which is a long time. Even with gloss on top.

NO smell either! Thank goodness. I hate lipstick and gloss that have a smell or taste. These don't, which is rare in drugstore lipsticks with either go with a sickly rose scent/soapy flavour like L'Oreal or Maybellines newest lip line with that ghastly rancid smell or less unpleasant but still intrusive, all the fruity or vanilla or sugary foody scents and flavours.

The case is a chic soft black velvety matte plastic with a silver ring around it and the clear top which I like. I would love a square case that doesn't roll but you can't have everything, and this lipstick is near perfection as it is!

Way to go REVLON!!!!!!!!!

on 12/30/2008 1:31:00 AM

I am reviewing the new matte lipstick in Pink Pout 002. It is very similar to Mac Please Me matte, but Pink Pout has a touch of lilac to it, I'm guessing it is closer to Mac Pink Plaid. I may purchase again, but I am still loving my Please Me, and I have two of the Macs tubes to use up. I do like the color of Pink Pout much more that other pinks. It is very Angelina Jolieish. packaging is nice flat black with silver logo.

on 10/1/2012 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am going to disagree with the other reviewers -- I don't like this lipstick. I have it in Nude Attitude and Smoked Peach. Maybe there are differences in quality between different colors but these two colors I have come on very unevenly and cling to dry patches even when you don't have dry patches! I would recommend Sephora's number 07 in Maniac Mat if you want a nude peach and one of NYX matte lipsticks if you are looking for a standard nude.

on 7/17/2011 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I really, really love the Revlon Matte lipstick line. I have Nude Attitude, Pink Pout, Pink About It, Strawberry Suede, Really Red, In the Red, Wine Not, and Fabulous Fig. I'm thinking about getting Stormy Pink soon. The only color I've ever disliked enough to return was Sky Pink. These lipsticks are opaque, buildable, and totally matte. The matte finish looks super sophisticated on and they last for hours and hours, even through eating and drinking. The lipstick packaging--simple matte black, silver Revlon label, clear window--is my favorite in the drugstore. They will not condition your lips and they are dry... they're matte... but they won't ruin your lips either. Because they are matte, they will draw attention to any flakes on your lips--especially the pale shades--so make sure your lips are exfoliated and conditioned beforehand. They're so versatile because you can wear them matte, wear them over or under balm, or under gloss. The lasting power is impressive, even when the lipsticks are topped with a gloss or balm. I love the color range. There are some gorgeous colors in this line, as small as it is. Amazing. As other reviewers have said, this is like a high end collection got stuck in a drugstore twilight zone.

on 12/4/2009 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Can't add too much here that the other reviewers have already done, but I have to say - if you like matte lipsticks, don't bother with Nars or MAC - of which both have great mattes. These go on the lips and in texture look EXACTLY like Nars Lip pencils and are even smoother looking than MAC's mattes! Pretty amazing for a D/S lipstick! Again, the only drawback is the color selection. But other than that - would you rather pay $24.00 for a Nars, $14.00 for a MAC - or $8.00 for a Revlon? I have Really Red, and it's every bit as pretty as NARS Jungle Red in color - but looks identical to Dragon Lady in texture (DL is a little bluer in color). I, too am going to write the company to tell them how great they are!

Way to go, Revlon!

Can't say enough about these mattes! The product is comparable to MAC. I love Strawberry Suede the best, but I hear it's discontinued. I also recommend the nude for a super mod pale lip. I haven't worn Revlon lipstick since I was obsessed with Blackberry in highschool, but I'm back as a customer.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

All of the shades I have tried, with the exception of Mauve it Over, have been winners. They are all nicely pigmented and wear well. I haven't found them to be very drying, but I do wear a light balm underneath. My faves are Strawberry Suede (d/c) and Smoked Peach.

on 1/8/2011 11:23:00 AM

Revlon's Best - Matte Lipstick

All the reviews are right. There's not much more to add, really. Another rare case of cosmetic advertising being true AND accurate.

I was thrilled when these first came out. The colours that work for my skin tone are Strawberry Suede, Pink About It, Really Red and oddly enough, Mauve About It.

Re: MAUVE ABOUT IT ~

It's hard enough to do a good Nude Lip anyway, and doubly-so if you have medium/olive-toned skin. (You risk looking freshly enbalmed if you don't get it just right!) I apply a long-lasting strong base colour, wipe it off, line my lips and apply "Mauve About It" on top. And that works beautifully for me.

(My old stand-by, L'Oreal's Color Endure in 'Honey Honey' has long been discontinued).
I don't care for the 2 new shades to this line, though I can imagine it working for other skin tones.

Kudos to Revlon for this line of Matte Lipsticks for they've got it just right. It's matte but not flat, it doesn't dehydrate your lips like the first generation of matte lipsticks, the staying power is very good and the pricing is unbeatable. This line is small but well-edited with colours that would suit most skintones. They can be found for less than $7.00 in mass market retailers and are never over $11.00, even in pharmacies.