L'Oreal Excellence Creme Haircolor

L'Oreal Excellence Creme Haircolor
Excellence Creme HaircolorExcellence Creme Haircolor

3.9

For Dark Chocolate Brown (4AR I think) :
I use this and wonder why I stray from it. I have a million hair color reviews here and for all different brands and shades. I've used this brand (but not this shade) many times over 35 years and it's really one of my favorites.

When you're using a dark shade things can get messy and I like some control over that. I get it with this kit. It's a nice rather stiff cream with a consistency of like mayonnaise, so it doesn't get all over your face and neck while applying it, which is good because I forgot my swipe of Vaseline along the hairline.

My hair is decently long but with layers, so one box did the trick easily. It doesn't smell harsh. Easy to work through my hair which is fine texture but there's lots of it. It doesn't drip and run while it's developing. It rinsed easily too.

I did use the pre color solution included, a step I tend to skip, and recently got my hair cut a few days ago. Little breakage that I could see. The after conditioner is ok, but I'm a firm believer that there's a reason they include the one with their kit so I'll always use it.

For the color itself I can't give a really accurate description of for a few reasons. First is because no one has the same base color and it will never look like it does on the box. It's just a guideline. Second, I've been coloring with black shades for over a year but I've been letting it grow out, so my results won't be the same as yours. I will say the following--i started with black towards the bottom, regrowth of several months of a deep violet black towards the middle areas, and my very gray roots at the top. The lighter and virgin areas of my hair took this as a very dark brown with deep red highlights in direct light. Of course my black tinted hair grabbed this as black, though not a straight black. It's probably as close to what my natural color was back in the day. Please don't base your results on mine.

I'll definitely be putting this at the top of my go to list again. I love the Schwartzkopf brand, but it does require the extra step of using your own shampoo to remove the deposited color. It's a good brand, even my stylist loves it, but it wasn't available where I bought my color today. My hair feels very soft and doesn't have a lingering faux perfume scent. I'm not disappointed.

on 7/24/2017 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have been using this hair color product for years and I feel it is the best sold. I've had my hair colored professionally several times but I'm never happy with the results. My hair is colored a medium ash blonde. At the hairdresser it always comes out a bit brassy or too golden. I'm looking for an ashy tone because my skin tone is cool. Gold hair doesn't work on me. The reason for brass is that the natural dark hair color underneath can't be "lifted" to a very light shade. As one hairdresser said "your hair doesn't want to be blonde". It's actually just too dark to lighten up to what I want. Now I color my hair a mid ash blonde with L'Oreal Excellence and I get a good result.It's ashy and not too light or dark. It lasts about 6 weeks and I just recolor the roots and leave the color on the rest of my hair for 10 minutes. My hair stays in pretty good condition afterwards. The conditioner that comes with the box is also very good stuff. I use number 9.1.

on 11/4/2016 2:09:00 PM

I purchased #10 Lightest Ultimate Blonde to color my grey roots. I followed the directions and it barely covered them. Wasted my money

on 1/11/2015 5:50:00 PM

I keep using this hair color because I don't know what else to use! But can someone please tell why a color called "Light Ash Blond" just makes my hair more and more red-brown????

I have colour resistant grey hair, (I am 56) even the expensive colour my hairdresser uses fades quickly.
This however does not, the girl washing my hair in the hairdresser told me her Mum uses this as she has hair like mine. Best advice ever! So easy to use, kind to my scalp. Gorgeous colour (5.3 medium golden brown) and a doddle to use and I am normally useless at this kind of thing.. My hair is in great condition shiney and healthy looking afterwards. I have used it several times now and always pleased. Its cheap enough for me to use every 4 weeks to keep the grey roots in check, but if I want to do my entire head I get 2 boxes. I have very thick below the shoulder length hair, which devours the colour. (My hairdresser's words!). Lastly I have never noticed a bad smell from it.
I think it is fantastic.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have dark brown hair. My ends are medium brown but my roots are dark brown/almost black. I got this in the shade medium ash blonde. My hair is slightly lighter and I love it.

on 3/17/2014 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Since now my hair is mostly gray, I have been having a hard time finding a color that will keep my hair a rich dark brown....my original hair color from when I was younger. I have tried a variety, even going to an upscale hair salon but my hair would start to turn a reddish brown. Since grays are so hard to color, they will normally turn a lighter color....which is a reddish when trying to color it brown. I used natural dark brown in this formula and while it covered all they grays and looked pretty good before that first washing, it still had hints of red. I decided to do something different. I picked Gray Magic and Ardell Red Gold Corrector Plus (bought at Sally's Beauty Supply) to add into the bottle of formula. I used the individual packages. I have added this to my hair color that I picked up from there, but the results varied. This was the first time to add it L'Oreal Excellence. I know L'Oreal puts a packet of crme to apply to hair ends so it doesn't pick up too much color, but I like to use something a bit more natural....avocado oil. Since my hair is past my shoulders, I use about a tablespoon of it...olive and coconut oils would be fine to use as well. I rub it into my hair, even the top, while mainly focusing on the ends. This will infuse your hair with beautiful shine. I leave it for about an hour, you can do it longer or less...it's up to you. I then apply the hair color to my roots and go about 1 1/2" past the roots. I leave it on for 45 minutes and then apply to rest throughout my hair....about another 5 minutes. I do use some water to make it easier to comb it through. Since my hair is already a dark color, I don't need to leave it on longer. My hair color turned out to be a beautiful rich dark brown with wonderful shine. To keep the color brown and not turning reddish, always use a sulfate free shampoo and also no hard water....that type of water is bad for hair color. Since our water softener is broke at the moment....I've been using distilled water, yes I am obsessed about keeping my color! It is working so I am thrilled. I hope this review helps anyone who is wanting to keep their hair brown.

Bought it off amazon and find it pretty good

on 1/2/2014 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this stuff. It lasts long and covers my grays better than anything else I have found except their Preference. I love the shade 4 AR Dark Chocolate Brown for my skin. It's a cool chocolate color I have a hard time finding from any other company, which is ok because I love this brand for hair color. Its turns into a beautiful dark mahogany brown that really enhances my hazel eyes and fair coloring. I think this is one of the most underrated colors they have.

I have tried a lot of their colors in this line and they never disappoint. If I want to color my hair with no fuss and know I am going to be happy I choose this line.

on 10/4/2013 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

so I bought this product after many unsuccessful trips to the hairdresser. After the last visit I had gotten a hair full of yellow tones in different shades of yellow. My original hair was dark blond. Hairdresser said that if i wanted to get my dak blond har back i had to bleach my whole hair, which is out of the question! since I'm a student I could not afford to go there several times. I bought the color in # 6 dark blonde. instructions were easy to follow, hair color did not smell bad when put on hair. I had it on my 20 in the top to the shoulders and 10 min on the rest of the length. haircolor came out beautiful. it looked very similar to my natural and was just like the picture on the box. I rarely write reviews, but felt that this really deserved it.
i would recomend this to everyone!

Full Size Image