L'Occitane Shea Butter Ultra Rich Face Cream

L'Occitane Shea Butter Ultra Rich Face Cream

3.8

Aqua/Water**, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter**, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin**, Corn Starch Modified, Cetearyl Alcohol**, Sorbitol**, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate**, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate**, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium PCA**, Tocopherol**, Ethylhexylglycerin, Castenea Sativa (Chestnut) Seed Extract**, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Seed Extract**, Sorbitan Isostearate**, Polysorbate 60**, Ceteareth-33, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract**, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil**, Sodium Phytate, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Sodium Benzoate, Xanthan Gum**, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Limonene**. **Ingredients of Natural Origin

on 8/6/2016 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I used it for a while as I was on accutane and it is a VERY thick cream with the problem of never absorbing into the face. I guess it would be okay if you don't wear make up, but the problem was I could feel it on my face as if I had literally something on it and what is worse all dust and hair got stuck in my face. Also it kinda clogged my pores.
Overall, it didn't help with redness and my face was still dry because it didn't penetrate that much into the layers of the skin.. and it gave my nose blackheads.
If anyone experiences very dry skin, I would highly recommend Clinique's moisture surge INTENSE cream. I use it even now in winters and that really helped me during accutane.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Meh. On paper, this moisturizer sounds great. Lots of shea butter, a thick formulation, not incredibly expensive. But for my very dry skin, it was fairly mediocre. It took long time to work into the skin -- it is essentially in solid form that melts down (except mine felt like it never fully absorbed). And my makeup did not sit well on top of this. Maybe this would work better as a night cream, but my skin is dry 24/7, not just when I go to bed.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/25/2016 7:04:00 PM

After a recent facial, I learned my epidermis is dehydrated. Keen to fix this, I thought I'd try L'Occitane's ultra rich face cream because it has 25% shea butter and I read shea butter is an occlusive so should help kinda seal in other my other serums.

This is the absolute worst cream. My face doesn't ever break out on its own; I only ever have issues due to products. This cream left me with a bunch of small yet red pimples all over my nose and cheeks. I probably used the cream for so long but I was convinced it would work for me after reading the ingredients list and blog reviews. After I stopped using it, about half of the spots seem to go away after a couple of days but the rest are taking longer.

Also, this cream left my skin dry and flakey. How can something with this much shea butter dry out my skin? In terms of the texture, I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to spread it on because it is so thick. I didn't have any problems really and it absorbed well.

Advice: if you do want to try this cream, buy it from sephora so you can return it. The L'Occitane website says returns are at the discretion of the store manager. To me that sounds like if the manager doesn't like the way you look or is just in a bad mood that day that you will be stuck with a crappy product that you don't want.

on 4/6/2015 7:50:00 AM

The description notes that this moisturizer is for dry skin, and it is absolutely correct. If you do not have dry skin (or seasonally problematic skin) you will likely find this moisturizer to be far too heavy for your needs. This moisturizer has the consistency of butter, it's more of a face butter than a face cream. It has to be manipulated with the fingers to melt into the skin. Once it does, though, the skin feels amazing. My skin felt like velvet to the touch, and in my mind it was like I put a warm, soft blanket on my face. For dry skin (especially dry skin troubled by winter weather) it was delightful. I have combination skin that suffers in the winter. I will use this as a winter moisturizer, but as it gets warmer I'm going to have to switch to something a bit lighter. My only real complaint with this cream is the scent. It smells strongly of baby powder. I actually like my skin care to be scented, but I really don't care for this scent. At the end of the day, this is a great cream. My favorite L'Occitane moisturizer remains the Divine Creme Imortelle, but this cream is a great alternative at a really affordable price.

on 12/11/2014 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My normal Korres Wild Rose moisturizer, while great, was not quite enough for when my skin was really dry during the winters. I just had to use too much to get the right affect. Since I love the hand cream in this line, I decided to try the face cream. Best stuff for winter skin. Despite the thick, buttery, creamy texture, it absorbs well into my skin. I think the entire shea line from L'Occitane is great.

on 5/2/2014 7:24:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a thick, buttery cream that feels wonderful on the skin. Although it is rich it does not break out my combination skin. I usually use it at night, and occasionally on really cold days. I have used about 2/3 of the jar so far.

Do not particularly like jar packaging (unhygienic), although the jar looks really nice.

After applying, my skin looks glowing and feels soft and supple. Will likely rebuy next winter.

on 2/25/2014 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

so far so good

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have only been using this for 2 days after asking for a free sample instore, but it is the only moisturiser that has not caused stinging and a horrible itchy red rash. I have super sensitive skin that is also very dry and have just got over a really bad reaction to face cream that I had to have steroid cream to treat. This L'Occitane cream feels very soothing and hydrating so far so fingers crossed!
I asked for a free sample because I have spent a fortune searching for suitable face creams over the years.

on 12/13/2013 5:39:00 AM

Terrible. I loved everything about this product except for 1 thing..
The way it turned my normal, healthy skin into a pizza/volcanic eruption.

I've tried lots of face products over the years and this has to be the worst of them all. First, I started getting little bumps, but I put them down to my skin simply getting used to the product. Then 2 days later came the big ones. Huge, cystic bumps that I haven't had in years. Painful, hard, nasty, wont-come-to-a-head bumps that will take me at least 2 weeks to completely get rid of. Thank god it was just a sample sachet and not a full jar.
What a shame, I loved the texture, smell and L'Occitane's brand, but this isn't worth it, and they seriously need to look at the crap they put into this.

on 6/7/2013 9:44:00 AM

When I first purchased this product last year, it worked perfectly with the serum for my very dry and sensitive skin. I have tried so many products and was pretty stoked to find a product that this one worked a treat...even though the price tag was a bit high.

I repurchased it this year and noticed that they changed the packaging...I'm not sure if they're changed the ingredients but now my skin seems more dry and I am breaking out in pimples (My skin is normally just dry and doesn't break out)