Alaffia Unscented Shea Butter

Alaffia  Unscented Shea Butter
Alaffia Handcrafted Shea Butter - Unscented

4.9

100% pure, unrefined, hand-crafted shea butter

This product is as good as everyone has said. Very moisturizing, light scent, and inexpensive. (I bought on amazon) Now want to try the facial cleanser!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My first time using shea butter of any kind. Love that it is unscented as I have super sensitive skin. I'm currently on a 5% benzoyl peroxide doctor prescribed face wash as well as Retin A Micro which both make my normally greasy skin a little dry. I want to simplify my routine to avoid risking any irritation due to my new topical medicines so I only incorporate the Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser and this shea butter. This shea butter cuts down any irritation due to my topicals but is so thick and greasy that I only use it at night. This works out since I only use a moisturizing sunscreen balm in the morning. I wish the packaging came with a little spatula to avoid needing to dig my fingernails in the product since it is entirely a solid but since this is only $12 I can't expect it to have everything. It melts into my skin so well without any tugging and after bathing I use it as a natural body butter with the same wonderous effects it gives my face. To further simplify my routine I have been using this as a natural eye cream and a little goes such a long way that it's very easy to over do it which creates oily eye lids.

on 10/4/2016 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Of all the shea butters I've tried, (20+) this is the most theraputic...

BEST SHEA BUTTER IN THE WORLD. THIS WON'T CLOG PORES AND IT'S AMAZING FOR SENSITIVE DRY SKIN. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

on 11/29/2016 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Very moisturizing. This product is HG for my super prone acne sensitive skin. My skin breaks out to almost everything and anything. Coconut oil was a nightmare, rose, tea tree... I was ready to give up. Til I read that unrefined shea butter has a codomogenic rating of 0 I decided to give this one a shot with little hope..... but oh boy was I surprised. This moisturizes..... and DOES NOT. BREAK. ME. OUT! If you are anything like me just try it. Wont be sorry.

on 2/25/2017 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

UPDATE:
I've been doing my research and reading around... found that though shea butter is non comedogenic, it's oleic to linoleic acid ratio is tipped so that it may thicken your own sebum and cause clogs indirectly. I had noticed a few teeeeeny white heads- maybe one or two- developing around my face, mostly in the T zone. Not majorly concerning, but I'm a wicked blemish picker, so this had to be taken care of. What I've been doing to combat the effect is adding a drop of frankincense oil to my hand and mix with a fingernail sized scoop of the shea butter and apply to my face. So far this has totally unplugged the existing white heads and I haven't seen any new ones yet.

HG face and body moisturizer!!!! I cannot sing the praises of this stuff loudly enough. It has everything I want in a moisturizer and is a true one and done item. I've got formerly acneic, ultra sensitive, pale skin. Normal to dry face and body. This moistens and treats my issues without clogging or irritating. Here's a bit about it.
The price is not the best you can find for shea butter in general, but I am happy enough with the ethics of the company, the product and the availability that I would honestly pay twice as much for it if I had to.
The color is a nice grayish ivory. Clearly not bleached, dyed, treated or what have you, which I like. Consistency is mega thick, but once a tiny bit is rubbed between your hands or fingers it smooths out to an oily and spreadable feeling.
I apply a thin layer to my entire face and body after washing. Takes a few minutes to sink in fully, which I don't mind as I apply products to my hair right after.
I've been using it once or twice a day every day for around a month, and I've barely scratched the surface. A little goes a LONG way.
The jar packaging isn't ideal usually but shea butter is very stable if kept in a cool dry place, and with its thickness there's really no other way to store it. Not enough of a con to lose it a lippie.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I've always wanted to try shea butter because it sounded like such an easy, versatile item in skin care. I decided to finally get it one day at Whole Foods, where the Alaffia brand of shea butter was on sale (11 oz at $8.39... a fair price, I think). I saw the 2 oz version a lot of people kept mentioning here - I don't see the difference between these two products except the jar size/packaging. It's weird. Anyway, I decided to go with this economical size.

The product itself is great. A lot of people don't like the smell of pure, raw shea butter, but I think it smells pretty good. Cocoa butter smells strongly of sweet chocolate, but shea butter smells more faint, like a good bar of very dark chocolate - I love that. I chose shea butter over cocoa butter, by the way, because although both feel similar in texture, are moisturizing, and are widely used in the skincare and hair care industries, I read that shea butter has some better beneficial properties:

- cinnamic acid - helps protect against UV rays, so shea butter naturally has an SPF of 4-6
- invitamin a & e (in the form of tocopherol and tocotrienols)
- fatty acids
- antioxidants which attribute to longer shelf life
- allantoin - for wound healing
- high amount of stearic acid which helps to retain moisture

I've also heard it is supposedly less likely to clog your pores than cocoa butter.

(You can read more from these two great articles about shea and cocoa butter here:
*Not affiliated. Just thought it'd be helpful.*

It's very thick, so I either dig into the shea butter with my knuckles or scrape it off with the upside of my nails. It's very smooth (not gritty at all as some describe) and spreadable once warmed up on the fingers for a few seconds and it soaks right in. Instantly moisturizing. It's only slightly greasy once applied, but you'll still feel a bit of it as it soaks in. I think it takes about 20-30 minutes to fully absorb into the skin and have the skin feel generally non-greasy. I tried it on my hair as well, and that also soaked right in. This may not be a good idea to use on fine hair. My hair is very thick and very porous, so it works for me without weighing it down or making it greasy. I also love it on my lips! It's quite perfect on the lips. I like to use the amount that is equal to the size of 1-2 rice grains, and it stays melted and nice on the lips. Very moisturizing. Which is why it's an ingredient in so many lip balms and creams/lotions. It's a good idea to use this right after a shower or a bath, especially on the feet!

Bonus: Leaves a nice, dewy-satin finish on the skin, and if you apply it all over your body, it has a nice sheen/glow to it. If you're tanned, it emphasizes that and makes your skin look REALLY great... like you're a model at a photo shoot on the beach/at the pool or something. Seriously, though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Why did I ever stray from you shea butter? So I really could not pinpoint on why my skin has been giving me so much hell lately and I thought long and hard what I was using to keep my skin so nice only a couple of months back. This stuff! I am sure every makeupalley girl or boy has experienced this, where they get attracted by new stuff and forgets what truly works!

This stuff is HG, seriously. I pulled this out and put it on my crazy breakout face, within 3 days, I can see a hell of a lot of improvement and clarity on my spotty prone skin. It calms inflammations and prevents spots and doesn't clog pores.

It is good value for your money because you don't need a lot and it is very dense in the jar. I will forever be a shea butter girl. No more straying!

on 7/10/2013 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Everyone is raving about coconut oil, but I have to throw a word in for shea butter. Maybe coconut oil is simply the latest and greatest oil (these things seem to go in cycles) but don't forget about this 'oldie but goodie'.
As I am simplifying my skin care and slowly moving towards less product and more natural, this is a great multitasker. As many of you will know, I travel alot and small, effective, cheap, easy to find, and multiple use are all important to me.

The product: I bought this at the market in Montreal but I've seen it lots of places. My current one is a little tub, with some lavander essential oil in it, and was less that $10. I've also used more expensive, main line versions. The key is 100% shea butter. Not lotion with shea in it.
The smell: again, the current one has a slight lavander smell. Straight shea butter doesn't seem to smell much to me.
Consistency: this is hard to get over. Coconut oil is solid but softens quickly at hand temperature. Shea butter, not so fast. So I have to scoop some out and soften it in my fingers for a few seconds and it is still gummy not liquid.

The results:
For my FACE, I use this in place of a nighttime moisturizer. It is still gummy when I rub it in, be gentle with yourself. It sinks in within about 15 minutes. I am very breakout prone but also oily and dry in patches (I know, FML) and have never had a problem with this. It may not be resurfacing my skin like Visionnaire, but it leaves me moist, clear and good lookin' in the morning. Also safe for use around my eyes.
For my HAIR, i use this two ways. First as a hair mask: heat in the microwave, put on dry hair, leave for the morning while you clean and do laundry. Washs out easily. I am growing out a bad pixie cut and this keeps my hair really shiny looking ('cause it doesn't have much else going for it right now!). I also use this on the ends to moisturize. I am at the short bob stage and this seems to keep a lid on flyaways. Only use a LITTLE bit for this, it can get greasy fast.
For my BODY, you name it, it does it. Cuticles, elbows, knees, heels, lips. It is a bit tough as an all over body lotion unless you whip it with something else to help it spread. Lots of recipies online for this. I am admittedly too lazy for this step and usually use a separate body lotion or just skip moisturizing my legs.

Bottom line: When on training this is a lifesaver. It does everything I need, is cheap, easy to find/replace and takes up no space in my kit bag. It also doesn't melt or explode on cross country flights. It also pleases the yogi in me by being fair trade and natural. When at home, I do spread out some and use other products. Life is full of contradictions... I always have a tub of this on hand and would be lost without it. If the other oils are causing a problem for you, perhaps this is worth a go.

on 6/22/2014 11:44:00 AM

This is too heavy for me to use on my face (I get milia if I do), but it doesn't get any better as a body moisturizer. It's also my daily go-to for treating my fine-but-plentiful hair's split ends and frizz. The key is to take less than a pea-sized amount at a time and rub it between your hands for at least 20 seconds before applying, so that it can be absorbed more easily. If you need to use more, do it little by little so that you don't overload your hair. For me, shea butter is much easier to work with than oils and waxes, and less expensive than my favorite Redken Velvet Gelatine (which I only use for special occasions).

Popular Body Skincare Products