Milani Color Brilliance Pencil - Black

No Image

3.3

Not tested on animals

I've been using this eyeliner for the years and I love it. It is very pigmented and black which is really all I ask for. It can smudge and get a bit runny in the heat. I use it on my waterline daily. It is literally the only makeup product I own that I use every single day! If it stayed on a bit better, I wouldn't even try others. It's cheap and I get it at CVS. It can get in my eyes sometimes but it really doesn't irritate them at all. I find that it can be a pain to sharpen though.

on 6/17/2013 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love the deep black color but due to the shape of my lids this eyeliner winds up under my eyebrows no matter what I do. I've tried UDPP, Nyx Milk, Q-10, setting it with eyeshadow. I think it's my eyes.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Milani Color Brilliance Pencil in black:

I hate this! I purchased this along with Teal and Purple (which I am taking back since they are unopened) at CVS for a bogo 50% off.

The texture is nice, I used it on my waterline and it didn't skip all over the place or drag. The pigmentation was good and I didn't have to go over and over and over to get color.

The smudging and wearability of this pencil are seriously lacking.

It has been a long time since I have used one this bad. I usually use Blacktrack by MAC but wanted something portable and that I could sharpen. I usually use Revlon Colorstay but I don't prefer retractable pencils - I am going back to Revlon Colorstay.

I am going to try to salvage this by using as a base or something like that. It isn't going anywhere near my waterline again! It is going in the same place my NYC, Prestige and Elizabeth Arden pencils went. The trash!

UPDATE: I kept it, played with it and found that this pencil is so smooth and soft that it makes tight lining a cinch. I will ONLY be using it for that purpose as the original review still applies - but for someone who could never tightline without the crying mess I am very impressed. I am changing the original rating of 1 to a 3. I would repurchase now that I see what a difference tightlining makes!

on 9/23/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This eyeliner actually surprised me at how smooth it is and applies. I absolutely love this. However, I use this to line the bottom eyelash line and smoke it out to not look harsh. It works great for that. Apart from that, it provides a good base for adding more dark eyeshadow and smoking out your top eyelash line. Used alone however, it will smudge for me and my relatively oily eyelids. (They're not too oily though). For $2.99 compared to Jane Iredale at $9.00, I'm loving it. And they're the same except Jane Iredale is a bit oilier.
I'm def. repurchasing.
I use the dark brown and black.

on 7/12/2009 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this was the first eyeliner I ever bought last year.I got it at Target and It's not the product for me.

It smudges so much and the tip is really soft which makes it dull easier.In my opinion it's hard to sharpen.I barely wore it and I used it to only practice applying eyeliner.It smudged a lot and it was hard to come off with vasaline and water with soap.

Sorry but it's just not for me.

I like this. It is VERY pigmented and great on the water line. It can be a bit smudgy though. So its not a good product to wear if its hot outside. But i still love it!

on 11/27/2008 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This pencil is not bad for the price. I just started getting more familiar with Milani makeup. Milani is a great drugstore brand makeup. It's very easy to glide on your eyes. At first, it's very pure velvety black color. But when you smudge it with cotton bud, the result is nice. I picked the other eye color from Milani, but seeing Color Brilliance in black only one left plus Made in Italy....So, I ended up buying this one.

on 11/25/2008 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is exactly what I have always wished for in an eyeliner. It has the intensity of a liquid with the ease of a pencil. My main issue with many cream, gel and liquid products is the dullness that can occur as the day goes by. This pencil seems to have a slight sheen that lasts from initial application until its time to wash it all off. Color Brilliance pencils are and have an inky appearance when applied. If you aren't a fan of a a deep rich black, then this is not the pencil for you. It is very intense!

The softness of the pencil can be a bit of a nuisance; you have to be careful when applying and allow it to dry. It can smudge VERY easily. Therefore it is not my "I'm in a major rush" eyeliner. However it's softfness is a major plus when doing a smokey eye...as it moves easy and blends like a dream. Also a soft pencil is less likely to tug at your lids. As with everything I apply UDPP religiously in order to prevent my eye makeup from rebelling. But as I mentioned earlier, please allow the line to dry. Will def. purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

First off, this eyeliner is really really long so I'm guessing it will last a long time. Plus the tip isn't super soft so it sharpens nicely. The color payoff is AMAZING, and I love using this on the waterline. I apply this usually over my styli-style eyeliner or a gel liner (wet n' wild creme liner or blacktrack) and it stays on pretty well. On my lids, since I have double-eyelids, it smears a bit beacuse my lids overlap, but the payoff is so brilliantly beautiful! It's a jet black so for people that want a soft black, this isn't the color for you. However, it smudges like a dream (when you do it intentionally), so that can solve your problem. Love it!

UPDATE 5/27/2009
I lowered it one lippie because I don't grab this anymore. It smudges too easily for my upper lid and doesn't stay on my lower lid. I definitely fell for it in the beginning because of the brilliant black color. But there is no staying power, it stays a bit but defintely doesn't last for several hours. If all you want is a black color (and if you dont have oily lids & watery eyes) you could give this a try.