Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.0

on 4/6/2016 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I use a powder over my MUFE F&B foundation to add a bit of coverage and to keep my face from sliding off since I have a very oily t-zone. I had been using the MUFE Duo Mat in 214 but I noticed that it was a bit orange for me and wanted something with a better color match. Someone suggested the Lancôme Dual Finish Powder.

The first thing I noticed about this powder is that it has a more luminous and satin finish than the Duo Mat. I wasn't sure how I felt about that since I really wanted to look matte, although my skin does look pretty at first. However, "luminous" skin can quickly turn into "oil slick" skin. As expected I do tend to have to blot a little earlier than usual but I find that this powder holds up very well and at the end of the day it still looks much better than the duo mat.

In addition to that it does provide good coverage that lasts all day and fills in my pores for a nice, soft, smooth, finish. One good thing about the satin finish is that this powder looks like skin. It doesn't cakey or anything.

I bought this in 500 Suede and the color match is much better than the 214 in Duo Mat. I will be buying this powder again

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have chocolate colored skin and matte suede IV was a decent match..not perfect....seems like it has a mild rosey hue to it. For the price, I can't say I'm overly impressed. Also, the fragrance is annoying. It doesn't stink; i just don't get the point of putting perfume in a face powder. I will likely return it and either be satisfied with L'oreal True Match powder in Cocoa or MUFE Duo in Chocolate. This is the kind of powder/shade that i would have to apply slowly and carefully so i don't look crazy and i just don't have time for that. I need to be able to use my pressed powder on the go.

UPDATE----
I will definitely be returning this. I used it today all over my face and it makes me look gray and sullen. It will probably work for you if oyu already have nice skin but I have acne spots that I like to conceal at least a little. I don't like it at all.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

So I really like this powder. The reason I give it 4 and not 5 is because it has a very strong fragrance. If the fragrance free version came in all the colors I would be happy to change my score Lancome =).

Onto the powder itself. I think this powder foundation is best suited to dry to combo skin. I say this because it isn't oil controlling. It's a soft matte/satin finish, but it doesn't absorb anything. After a few minutes I look luminous, in a non dewy way, and I have dry skin. I've only used it dry, as I bought it only to use as a powder, and dry it goes on light to medium coverage with a kabuki or sponge. My favorite brush to use with it is the Sephora Platinum #55. It's completely non cakey, no matter how much you build it with a brush and your skin just looks effortlessly natural. It has a soft focus effect that makes up for the lower coverage by blurring the imperfections.

This foundation actually ends up being fairly cheap for a HE foundation as you get 19g of product, which is quite a bit more than other brands. Also a powder foundation that doesn't emphasize flakes and looks good on dry skin is worth it. The packaging is sleek and sophisticated and despite being a powder this foundation comes in a wide range of shades, even for women of color.

FYI I don't use the puff/sponge it comes with it, but if you did I would save the plastic tray insert so you can have a way of keeping the applicator away from the product.

***Edit*** I can achieve the same, actually better results, with MAC Careblend and the powder is even more neutral and a better color match for my skin. Ultimately I found the fragrance a bit irritating to my skin and nose so I switched to another product and took off another star.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I have dry skin with minor rosacea around my nose and because of that, I found I could only use this stuff wet (dampened the makeup sponge that came with the product). If I applied the powder directly on my face (either with the puff or a brush), my rosacea would get irritated and the product looked like it was just sitting on top of my face instead of blending in with the rest of my skin.

While it is a good foundation when used wet, I was going through the product SUPER FAST this way! It's not like this stuff is cheap either! I had to find an alternative as this just wasn't working for me.

I switched to MAC's StudioSculpt afterwards and used what I had left of my Lancome Dual Finish as a setting powder, which did actually work wonderfully!