Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Very good product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really like this powder. I was looking for a powder that would double as a setting and powder foundation if I wanted it to, this is it! My all time favorite is the Laura Mercier Pressed Mineral Powder, but the coverage in that is so full, if I use it to set my liquid foundation, my face looks really cakey. This powder eliminates that problem! I love it. It also keeps my combination/oily skin relatively matte all day, while still keeping my foundation in tact. Great great powder, with an amazing color selection, beautiful packaging, and versatile coverage.

The scent in this is SUPER strong, and really mature, but it usually goes away, and does not break me out like most Lancome face products do. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a multipurpose face powder with a great color range!

on 12/2/2011 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

For me, this was a waste of money. Dry=not enough coverage and settles in very fine lines. Wet=enough coverage but quickly dries into very fine lines--lines that I did not even know I had. Wet, dry...just terrible.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the first foundation I ever got because my mom had a partially-used one that was the wrong shade for her. So for the sentimental reasoning alone I don't think I'll ever stop using it =P

Anyways, now I use it as a setting powder with liquid foundation underneath. It works really well for that purpose; it makes my foundation smooth and last for a long time. I live in California so it tends to get really hot during the summer sometimes, and it never melts off and looks disgusting like some other powders. Sometimes on really hot days it won't be so awesome at controlling oil and I'll have to use blotting paper, but I'd have to do that with pretty much any powder.

The only downside for me is the cost. But one container usually lasts me a really long time, so it's worth it to shell out the money every once in awhile.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Pros:
It's okay where coverage is concerned
Cons:
It's really powdery on my skin. (I have normal/sensitive skin)

Bottom line: This was an average product. It gave me good coverage and a matte finish.

Recommended: No

on 1/19/2010 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love how this product last on your face for a very long time. you can even sweat and it stays on. I went to a tanning bed and my skin still had it on afterwards. This stuff is truely amazing in that aspect. Different shades seem to give you different coverage. Bisque and Nu give me great coverage, while my real tone Sand gives me ok coverage. I don't know why this is, but depending on the shade you are you might get a different level on coverage. The perfume it contains is bad smelling and could do without it. It comes in a Fragrance Free version, but those are rather hard to find. This also photographs well and doesn't settle into fine lines.

on 1/3/2009 12:40:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased my second Dual Finish compact recently after finishing off my first one several years ago. I guess I didn't repurchase because I went through it relatively quickly (used up faster than liquid foundation, anyway) and because I had a slightly off color match that left me wanting to try something new. Anyway, fast forward to last week.. I went to the counter to return a different foundation (Photogenic Lumessance - not for me!) and I remembered how much I had liked Dual Finish.

Most powder foundations don't really work for me (recently I've tried MAC Studio Fix, Prescriptives AnyWear, and several mineral products). It's not that they're terrible, they just don't look right, they accentuate flakes, or the coverage seems weird to me. I generally prefer liquid foundation for these reasons. What separates Dual Finish from the other powder foundations I've tried is that there is no weird powdery finish, it feels pleasant rather than dry or tightening on my skin, it masks imperfections in my skin rather than accentuating them, and overall it just seems to enhance my skin rather than masking it under a layer of powder.

For light-medium coverage I use the sponge to pat and blend over my face and I find the result to be very natural-looking. It's still very much my skin, but polished, even-toned, and slightly velvety in appearance. This is a great everyday look for work because I don't look all made-up and artificial. For a more flawless look, say for photography or presentations, I would probably apply this lightly over Studio Fix Fluid or a similar foundation. When I have applied this wet in the past the color seems to darken - no idea why but I haven't tried again since.

I'm knocking off a lippie for this product for two reasons. First, the product does noticeably wear off during the day, and while it's easy enough to whip out my compact and touch up, I'd rather not have to. My face becomes a teensy bit shinier than I would like over the course of the day, and though I don't think it's going to make my skin oilier or break me out, I do wish that lovely velvety finish had more staying power. I will try a primer to keep the shine at bay but I'd rather not have to. Second - and this is a minor complaint - I'm not crazy about the smell. But apparently there is also a fragrance-free version of Dual Finish so that is easily enough taken care of.

In summary, this is the only powder foundation I've ever used that I could see repurchasing again and again. The shade selection is impressive so I think I'll always be able to find a good match whether I'm pale as a ghost or tan. Though I know I'll use this up more quickly than I would a liquid foundation -- that's just the way it goes with me and powder foundations -- the ease and speed of application is worth it. There is a reason why this product has remained in Lancome's line for many years. It doesn't get a lot of love here on MUA, but the next time you're at a Lancome counter, check it out.

UPDATE: Still loving this! I have been tempted to try some new foundations for the sake of novelty but I can't turn my back on Dual Finish. It really improves the overall look of my skin while appearing quite natural.

UPDATE 5/09: Still loving. The last SA matched me with a shade that was too dark, though the shade was surprisingly forgiving for such a mismatch (in hindsight). Now matched to Matte Linen I and very happy! My skin looks polished and velvety!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wear Matt Buff II, & it is the best color match for me. I have a very light olive complexion with a very pink undertone. Foundations with a lot of yellow don't look so good on me. I use a kabuki or regular powder brush to apply it.

on 10/9/2004 7:57:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

If you like a matte finish and fuller coverage you may like this powder. I use this as eyeshadow base and for touch ups. It leaves a flawless matte finnish. No one will think you are bare faced, (duh). It has a fragrance- I like it, very French and womanly. The compact is lovely also.