Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

LMAO! OK I went to go see my derm for acne and oily skin. She asked me to make a list of everything I was using skincare and MU, with a list of all the ingredients. She took one look at the ingredient listing on this powder and started laughing! Her words "I cant believe they even sell something with such awful ingredients with the claim 'for all skintypes'" I asked her what do you mean and she told me that 6 ingredients out of the very short ingredient list were horrible acnegenic ingredients! Hence the reason for my oily/cyst ridden skin! I then did my own research and compared the list to the zerozits.com list and lo and behold the perfect recipe for horrible skin! The fragrance is so strong that it does not fade and it gets cakey. My DH even told me he thought I was wearing too much MU since he could smell it sitting next to me in the car! Ladies if you are acne prone please stay away!

on 6/12/2009 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I wore Dual Finish for years when I was in my late 30's and abandoned it in my 40's, probably because that was around the time when all the Miraculous Age-Defying, Line-Erasing, Wrinkle-Smoothing, Laundry-Folding makeup lines launched. Over my non Dual Finish years I've tried dozens (literally) of liquid, creme, mousse and powder foundations...and liked many of them. For whatever reason, I suddenly remembered good old Dual Finish and raced to Macy's to see if it was as wonderful as I remembered. IT IS! I swirl it on with a brush...as the Lancome makeup artist did...and the coverage is as lovely and natural and smooth as ever. It's extremely buildable, and gives a flawless, even finish without looking cakey or chalky. I touch-up my nose with the foam puff midday if there's any shine. I'm wearing it alone now because I hate liquid makeup during the summer, but when the colder weather comes it will still have a place in my makeup bag. Dual Finish...forgive me! I cheated on you for years...but you took me back...and now I think we're going to live happily and flawlessly ever after!

on 7/24/2017 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Shut the front door!!! Where has this been all my life???

I have been on the hunt for a foundation for the last 6 years or so. I am 58 and shortly after turning 50, foundations weren't playing nice with my skin. I have probably sampled, bought, returned over 100 formulas. I finally settled on alternating between IT Cosmetics CC and Laura Geller Balance and Brighten, not entirely satisfied with either, but at least the finish was doable and didn't make my complexion look worse.

I dislike liquid or cream foundations...love powder, but it's so hard to find one for older skin.

I had a sample of this that has sat on my desk for a couple of months...I looked at it last week and fondly remembered my first publishing job out of college...and how everything in my makeup bag was Lancome. For some reason, I eventually strays away from the line.

I applied it to my skin last week, and wow, just wow...gives me great coverage without looking heavy...no settling in pores or lines...no micro cracking or looking older than I am...no cakiness, just a lovely, soft focus that minimizes pores...actually understand that airbrushed look now. It lasted me about 5-6 hours before it began to fade a bit, but it still looked good...like it had melded with my skin...I blotted and gave it a light touch up and it was beautiful for another 4 hours. Its lightweight and feels fabulous on the skin. It also seems to be transfer proof as well. I use it with the Lancome waterproof concealer, which is a great combo!

I promptly went out and bought Amande III, which is just the perfect, gorgeous shade for me.

I will still use the CC cream when I'm in the sun, but this will replace Laura Geller as my go to foundation.

on 1/2/2015 2:59:00 AM

Like many others, I've spent thousands on all kinds of makeup products. Interestingly enough, when I first got the dual finish, I didn't think it looked good on me. What I was doing was applying a liquid, crme or mousse type foundation (told you - I've spent a lot of $$ on makeup). I was frustrated because I thought I went a little more upscale and thought still nothing was working!

One day I decided to stop messing around with the foundations and just apply the powder. (Note: the consultants will tell you that it takes a minute for the power to set. They're right.) . What a difference. It covered over a lot of the flaws and gave my skin a much smoother look. The little red areas disappeared.

Because I'm in my 50's I'd decided to explore the skin care moisturizers. I now use a Lancme (Renergie) moisturizer and Estee Lauder spf 50 sunscreen, the combo of which makes my skin looks even toned, then on top of that the dual finish. Let me tell you - this works. I've been consistently receiving compliments on my skin. Highly recommend.

on 2/26/2008 2:04:00 PM

I discovered this in my late teens--early 20's. Now I am 52. The best idea and product for my combo skin with flaws--ever. My HG.

It covers the large pores in my t-zone, broken capillaries and discoloration. Gives me a flawless face to paint as I like, as a foundation should. I don't worry about touch up and it never changes color.

I use the sponge and apply dry. Sometimes the compact doesn't close with the sponge. In 30 years, I've had one hinge break.

I pretty much consider this foundation, my face!

If I ever become unhappy with it, I will try to changing moisturizers or application because there isn't a foundation that ever will work better.

on 2/4/2017 6:17:00 PM

I have been using Lancome for at least 25 years and this was the product that introduced me to Lancome. I can't begin to imagine how many times I have purchased this foundation. Just a couple weeks ago, I spent my Saturday (the entire day) online reading about different foundations and their reviews. I was concerned that my nearly 46 year old face might need something different than my 20-something face. My skin was and still is, both oily and sometimes dry. It appeared to me, most of the foundations geared to my age group are designed more for dry skin, which is not what I need. I also wanted a foundation that could be shear or full coverage depending on the day. Having the flexibility to use as a wet or dry foundation has truly spoiled me over the years and I had no clue.

In the morning, I wash my face, apply serum and moisturizer, then I apply primer (when I remember), and then I use a foundation brush to apply my Dual Finish Powder. I leave it at that if I want a lighter look, which happens most days. When I am looking for more coverage, I use the sponge that came with the compact and with that I can control where and how much I apply. I use the edge of the sponge under my eyes and across the top and side of my nose, which has been a great concealer for me over the years. I then use the flat portion of the sponge across my forehead, cheeks and chin. To be honest, I don't like the look of heavy makeup and I don't like the way it looks on me just after I applied the makeup, but after a few minutes when my natural oils do their thing, I think my makeup looks fabulous! I'm going to be sticking with this foundation.

This powder can be used as a powder foundation or setting/touch up powder. This powder is really creamy and fluffy but will still give a matte finish. It will work really well for dry skin. It has more pigment than a regular setting powder. However it's not quite as pigmented as MAC studio fix powder foundation. I would say this powder is really similar to MAC careblend powder but with slightly more coverage and more heavier. If you apply too much, it will look really thick and cakey. I use this powder mainly as a touch up powder but can be used as a setting powder. It does add more coverage to your foundation but still looks really polished. However I have been finding this powder a tad too heavy for the Australian summer weather, but then again it's really hard to make any makeup work in this type of extreme conditions.

It took me a long time to figure out the shade range. They all got these weird names, letterings and numbers. Basically the number stand for the undertone. W is warm, yellow undertone. C is cool, pink undertone. N is neutral undertone. The number is the intensity of the shade. So it's basically the same shading system as Estee lauder's.

I have this in 5 shades and 230 Ecru ll W matches me best. I'm a MAC NC20-25. I use Teint Idole Ultra in 01 mixed with a tiny bit of 035.

130 Porcelaine D'ivoire l (N): Pale neutral undertone, is comparable to MAC careblend powder in light, just a touch darker. NW/NC 15-20.

230 Ecru ll (W): Light medium yellow undertone, comparable to MAC careblend powder in light plus, just a touch darker. NC 20-25.

310 Bisque ll (C): Light medium pink undertone. Would suit NW20-25.

340 Nu lll (N): Neutral yellow undertone, it's about 1 shade darker than Ecru. Comparable to MAC careblend powder in medium but darker and a bit more yellow. NC 25-30.

Then there's also 315 Wheat W but it's actually darker than 340 Nu and more yellow toned. It's probably suited to NC 30.

The shade range available in Australia is terrible but I'm determined to make this powder work because this is really a high quality powder. I paid $55 AUD and contains a generous 19g.

Edit 4/17: I mix ecru 230 with 340 nu as my setting powder. Ecru was getting a tad too light. I'm more of NC25-30 skin tone. I find 340 is the next best yellow toned shade from ecru 230. All the shades in between like Bisque 310, wheat 315 or Amande 320 are not right undertone, either too pink or dark. Wheat 315 is actually darker than 340 nu. 340 nu is technically a neutral shade but has enough yellow in it to use on my Asian skin tone. However if I was to wear dual finish as a powder foundation alone, I would just use 340 nu.

Anyway this is a truly exquisite powder and I believe it's lancome's number one best selling product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I received this today in Matte Voile 1 which is the absolute palest shade that Lancome makes (even paler than the lightest shade from their fragrance free collection, which is why I chose this because I am extremely fair). I got a little nervous when I opened the package and detected an obnoxiously strong scent wafting up before I had even opened the compact! I pulled out the puff and couldn't believe that a company would be so foolish as to believe that anyone would want this obnoxious scent all over their face! This is not the 17th century where people didn't bathe and doused themselves with perfume because they stunk all over (the French were known for this during that time period so they perfumed everything and apparently still feel the need to do so). We do not need our faces heavily perfumed so why do they do it? Not only that, but it interferes with our own perfume because it barely makes it through the force field that is closest to our nose which would now be riddled with this nauseating smell. How incredibly unnecessary and utterly disappointing.

That said, the color match is perfect which is a rarity for someone as fair as me, however the coverage is nothing like I expected. I get the feeling that this might make a perfect setting powder for oilier skins when dusted over a nice matte foundation. This is not a full coverage powder. If you want a really nice full coverage powder foundation, look no further than Napoleon Perdis's Camera Finish which is what a lot of celebrities use for photo shoots. This reminds me a lot of Bobbi Brown's Sheer Pressed Powder because that's the coverage it offers. It evens out your skin tone like a nice tinted moisturizer, but you'll need to have pretty decent skin to get by with just this. I can't speak to it's oil controlling properties because I couldn't keep it on my skin longer than a half hour. I began to get a terrible headache and had to wash it off.

I spoke to a Lancome rep and she admitted that the lightest shade in their fragrance free version is darker than Matte Voile 1 and may seem a tad too dark for someone as light as me. I may try to get it on swap (Matte Porcelain Delicate-fragrance free), but this color would have been ideal (Matte Voile 1) had it not been for the intensely strong perfume. This is going back to Lancome (oddly enough I think good old Cover Girl Clean Pressed powder does a better job and actually offers more coverage and they offer all their shades in a fragrance free version).

Edit: Please see reviews on Dream Matte powder by Maybelline (yes Maybelline). One rave review after another (including mine). Once you have discovered that powder, you will never even bother with this or any other expensive stuff again. Dream Matte is silky, finely milled and covers a multitude of sins like a soft silk blanket (It's only a setting powder, yet it acts like a powder foundation and offers much more coverage at a fraction of the price). Controls oil so much better than this and goes on like silk (no caking and no fragrance whatsoever)! Hard to believe that this stuff is made by Maybelline, but check it out! This will seem like a joke by comparison. Dream Matte is my new HG powder and does everything I've ever wanted from a powder and so much more!

on 3/2/2017 1:28:00 PM

Being 47 yo, its really difficult to find a powder foundation that wears well, doesn't creep into fine lines, isn't drying, and doesn't make you look like a corpse... This product is THE most amazing powder foundation I have ever used, next to Shiseido...it's buttery, hydrating, great coverage, and works well with the provided sponge, a flat top buffing brush, or a damp Beauty Blender...its expensive @$40+ but a little goes a long way. There's a great color selection for all tones as well...will definitely repurchase.

on 3/4/2013 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this. I have been using this for 5 years now after drugstore foundations no longer cut it for me. Your skin is so fun in your thirties...lol.. Anyway, this goes on like a matte finish. Does not cake and I feel like everything cakes on me. Does not sit in any of your fine lines. I feel like my skin is almost flawless. I have sensitive skin and I never break out from it. It also comes in a fragrance free which I usually get but I bought the fragranced one by mistake and I never had a problem.You can put it on wet or dry but I find when I have done the wet in the past the powder gets that shiny stuff on it and then eventually it starts breaking. The sponge applicator alone is to die for. I actually save all the ones from my previous compacts and wash them and save them for other stuff. Tip: Don't throw away the plastic cover thing that comes in it. Keep it to store your sponge so your compact doesn't get ruined from your dirty sponge. This is one thing in my makeup bag I cannot live without.